Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

turbo engines?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 07:53 PM
rotorfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo engines?

What is the differnce between a say .18 turbo,and a.18 non turbo?Is the turbo faster,stronger,rev higher?Also looking for a rear pipe-header for a NTC3.Thanks
Old 05-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Rs43EVOman

Default RE: turbo engines?

In R/C there is no such thing as a trubo like those in 1:1 cars. By turbo they are most likely reffering to the type of glow plug it uses. Turgbo plugs produce a bit more power then standard plugs. im assuming your reffering to the O.S. .18 line of engines. Between the .18CV-R series and the .18TZ series there are more differences then just the TZ using a trubo plug. The TZ is definetly a more power engine by far between the 2. Both are great motors, but the TZ definetly has the performance edge.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:23 AM
rotorfly

Thanks for the answer,yes I was referring to the OS line.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:48 PM
evil

I also think the use of the word Turbo in OS engines refferes to the design and the shape of the induction system at the back of the crankshaft.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:53 PM
Saboteur10573

Turbo refers to the type of plug use in the motor. A turbo plug has a slight conical shape near the filament while standard plugs aren't. The difference man be 500-1000rpm or so, but tune an engine with a turbo plug improperly and it'd be as fast as an engine with standard plug (comparing the same motor that is).

Here is an OS P7 turbo plug
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBPH7&P=ML

and here is a standard OS #8
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCB27&P=SM

It has nothing to do with the exhaust as there is just side exhaust, round port side exhaust (on the picco .12rcspeeds if you can find them) and rear exhaust.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:25 PM
evil

MMM apart from the fact he said he was looking for an exhaust for his NTC3 i cant see a reference to exhausts anywhere?
Google turbo rc cranks and you will find that most times the word turbo refers to the shape of the back of the crankshaft inside the crankcase at the induction out let.