Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Tire Wear and Motor heat !

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 07:10 PM
tpap72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Wear and Motor heat !

I ran my RS4 3 EVO at a nearby parking lot with rally style wheels. Small tread pattern. I was mostly doing ovals around the lot. I really wasn't letting off the throttle much and sliding through the turns. I noticed the inner tread on the rear tire behind the motor has been worn away. It was their before I started, so it has worn away from this run. I also noticed that the shock spring on that side is alittle out of shape, however the suspension is not binding. The tire with the wear was mostly on the inside of my turns.

One other thing was after the first run, I ran out of gas. When I filled it I had trouble getting it started again. Finally when I did get it started I noticed that I was having trouble getting into second gear. The speed was down. Can this be from overheating? It was like 95F outside today. The side of the cover was covered with oil and I was getting good smoke from the motor. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
T
Old 06-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Scavolini

Default RE: Tire Wear and Motor heat !

A lot of variables for 1 straight shot diagnosis.

Get a temp guage if you are parranoyed with overheating like I am.
Temp gun or Venom on board temp guage.
200-220 optimal. max 270.

I remember with my pullstart, sometimes I'd draw too much fuel in and that floods the engine & overhwhelms the starting power of the glowplug. If that happens you'll notice the piston is tighter in there when pulling the start. If so take of the glow plug, put a paper towel over the head and pull the start again. That should shoot out the flooded fuel. Otherwise, no towel over head= nitro shower.

Check your glowplug and make sure its shiny. Not burnt.
Also use a rechargeable battery on your glow plug igniter.
Make sure you have a good connection with the plug.

The 2 speed. Read the 2 speed instructions and re set the set srew via the directions until you've followed them perfect. Use Thread lock on the set screw so that it doesn't keep losing it's shift point. After tightening all the way down (With my RS4 2) unscrew 3-3.5 turns (3.5 if high performance engine), so yes 3.5 turns for 18SS (if that's what you got).

The tire wear could be from anything. If its on the same side as your shock and 2 speed, you might of hit a rock or something if I can imagine right...I've had a tire rip apart after I NICKED it with a hobby knife and ballooned it on the starter box. Keep a new tire set on hand....it will eventually go, but don't worry I'M ROOTING FOR IT TOO!!

P.S. get after run oil to drop into the engine at the end of the day to absorb the old fuel inside if you care for the engine. & keep your air filter oiled.

Just break down and buy both...

Byron's & Odonnel fuel is much better than the blue thunder too.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:23 PM
magnus213

My right-rear spring also got bent out of shape, I'm assuming because of the Roto start shaft somehow interfering with it. And the inner edge of that right-rear tire also showed the most wear, on the stock tires it actually looked like it wore a groove right inside the rim's lip.

This could be a "no duh" tip, but if it ran out of fuel and you refueled it and you're not able to start it, it could be as easy as forgetting to prime the carb again.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:58 AM
tpap72

Thanks for the input guys. Magnus, I remembered to prime the fuel after filling the tank. I thick the problem I was having is called vapor lock. I don't beleive the fuel was getting to the engine because it was evaporating when it got to the carb.

As far as the spring goes. I think your right about the roto-start messing with the right rear spring. I wonder if others are having this problem and with the unusual wear on the right rear tire. Did you figure out a way to correct the wear issue? Perhaps this is common and no solution is available.

For the vapor lock, I read just spray some compressed air on the carb between fuel filling should cool the carb down enough to eliminate the problem.