RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

What is this part for?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 11:39 PM
NebulaDDS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this part for?

http://www.hpiracing.com/piw4.php?part=80838

And how is it different than what comes on my HPI R40 Hara Edition?

Adantages and disadvantages of this part?
Old 06-12-2007, 09:57 PM
nitro stan

Default RE: What is this part for?

they are CVD's they replace the dog bone and stub axles stronger smoother less friction i dont know what the R40 comes with but thats what they do
Old 06-13-2007, 02:46 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They transfer power more efficiently than dogbones. Effectively reducing the slop in the drivetrain. CVD stands for 'Constant Velocity Drive', as it reduces the number of actual disconnections in the drivetrain. If I remember correctly, the R40 comes with dogbones, and not this type of shaft, it would be considered an upgrade, and whilst their effect would be a noticable improvement in power transfer, not an extremely worthwhile one. The top racing cars mostly come with regular dogbones as well, and CVDs are usually an option part. Personally I run without them, if I ever break or twist a dogbone (not very likely on an Xray unless I have a serious accident), I would replace with these, but right now, I am quite capable of competing in the amain without them. My philosophy on option parts is that my car is already more than good enough for my driving ability 'box stock', and therefore I will only upgrade when replacing things that have broken or worn out.

EDIT: Oh, yeh, disadvantages...the pins pop out sometimes, its a well known trick to use a piece of heat shrink tubing over the pin ends to prevent this (around the widest part of the CVD), the only other disadvatage is that they are more expensive to replace if anything happens to them.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:07 PM
rawkfist2

Why would want these? I want more slop in my drivetrain because the clutch I need to engage at high RPMs and that helps.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:58 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They don't affect clutch engagement. Slop in the drivetrain is something nobody wants. I understand what you are saying but if you want later engagement of the clutch and drivetrain, simply adjust the clutch. These items can only be seen as advantageous as they allow smoother delivery of the torque put out by your engine.