Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

NEWB Question From NEWB :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 01:16 AM
SKoserJr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEWB Question From NEWB :)

You must first know that I am COMPLETELY NEW at nitro rcs !

Ok, I bought a Traxxas Nitro 4-Tec 3.3. I know it's for "Expert Drivers Only"
I just wanted something fast, pretty much . . . . .

I went to a nearby parking lot to "Break It In".
At first I had problems keeping it running after starting it.
I floaded the motor & then unflooded it.

Finaly got it to run, so like 3/4 into the 1st tank it stopped steering left, it would only stear right.
I drove it in a circle like twice and then cut the motor off. I then took it home did the after run
maintenance and then turned on the power to the handset and car to test to see if it would steer
left, still nothing only right. I have new batteries in both the car & handset. Before I ran it I walked
out a ways & tested it and it worked fine and it was working fine 3/4 off the way on the 1st tank of
fuel. It just stopped all of a sudden & I have no clue what the problem is . . .

Any insight for me on this matter ?
Any help will be appreciated !

Thanks !
Old 06-10-2007, 01:30 AM
hpi apollo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: NEWB Question From NEWB :)

check your servo horn, it could be lose, not likely that it would cause it to steer only right though, also check your transmitter end point adjustments and how they are centered, that or your servo saver got overloaded when you hit a bump or something and it allowed the servo horn to go the opposite way of the servo coupling

edit: this could help you with tuning and stuff http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5517128/tm.htm
Old 06-10-2007, 05:17 AM
SKoserJr

Thanks for the help, but again I am a complete NEWB at nitro rc's so I don't really know what or where
the servo horn and servo couplings are.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:55 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hm, in that case you might be better off taking to your LHS.

For reference, the servo 'horn' is the plastic part that attaches to the output gear on the servo. The coupling is the shaft and ball joint (or other mechanism) that connects the servo horn with the actual steering compnents. In my experience when a car will only turn one way, it is usually a broken steering servo. However, since your car is new, I suggest you examine carefully all the steering assembley, it may just have something caught up in it, or something loose. If it's not apparent what the problem is, yuou should take it to your local hobby shop (LHS) and ask for their help, and perhaps replacement of any troublesome parts.

Also, I'm not clear from your post, is this the only problem at the moment, or did you say something about it stopping and not starting? Please can you clarify that...
Old 06-10-2007, 03:56 PM
SKoserJr

Thanks for the info/help, I took it to the hobby store I bought it at and they replaced the steering
servo, and I'm about to go finish breaking the motor in.

Question:
While breaking the motor in do I need to make sure the motor is running at certain tempature or ?

Thanks again for the help !
Old 06-10-2007, 07:27 PM
devo208

When you bought the car didnt a video come with it and a manual, you need to look and read and then ask questions. Its not hard.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99842.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	701391   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55712.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	701392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56364.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	701393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh12660.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	701394  
Old 06-10-2007, 11:57 PM
SKoserJr

Yes a DVD and a manual came with it, but they both only tell you to not let the temp get over 270, not exactly what is a good temp
to run at. I got it broke in, and it only over hated once and I shut it down and adjusted the fuel trim. This car will flat out get up & go.
I hit a curb pretty good and it only popped off the exaust pipe

Thanks for the help again . . .
Old 06-11-2007, 01:07 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

During break in, you should be aiming to get the motor over 200, then letting it cool, then reapeating. But just follow the DVD. At this stage I don't think you need to be worrying too much about temps. When running, under 290/300 is fine, they always say a bit low for their own protection. A good temp to get max performance would be anywhere between 220 and 280. Bascially, you tune for performance, not temp. When the performance is good, run it around a bit, then bring it back to you for temp check. You shouldn't be running it around at full throttle and into curbs during break in. Take it easy for a while.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:50 PM
SKoserJr

While I was breaking it in the temp was 200 or a lil over like 210. One I got all 5 tanks in the breakin process, I cleaned the air filter.
And ran 2 more tanks. I never got it to top speed because I didn't really have the room to get it that fast & I still don't really know how
to tune it for top performance. I hit a curb on the 7th tank which I was running a lil faster then before. When I over heated the motor
it was reading like 290 and the cooling head was steaming, so I shut it down & richened the fuel a bit which brought the temp down.
But ya, I need to read up on tuning so I can get that done this comming weekend.

Thanks !