Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Converting my 4-tec into a drag oriented car

I know that it is not the perfect chassis right now but this is what I could esily get ahold of and start with. So far I took off that ez-start and is much nicer with the roto starter now plus it took of some weight . One thing that I have had trouble with is the damn tires recently started to come off the rim in the rear. My main goal is to do some drag racing with the car and I need a tire that is going to hook and hook hard.

What else can you think that I need to do to make it more of a drag car. I am not interested in cornering and all sort of other handling associated with road racing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Put the roto-start on my 4-tec

anything with soft soft foam and lots of traction compound, but..... that may make the tires wear very fast.
    also find a set that is made in switserland, the build quality fonaminal. had some on my rs4 and they stuck like glue and they wore even and lasted a long time. i belive they were called ufra tyres (tires) they where $28 for 2 tires.

and i think if you remove the front wheel drive belt, it will improve off the line and top end proformance because it is less load and friction, but, of course, you will lose cornering ability.
    Signature
    (Max. 125 chars. 2 lines max)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Put the roto-start on my 4-tec

So basically go just rear wheel drive. I don't care about cornering and all that. This is just about strictly drag racing the car.

I really appreciate your input. I will look into taking the front drive system off.

This would be the other two belts right? The one all the way up front and the long belt on the side right? Thanks again.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Converting my 4-tec into a drag oriented car

Increase your caster on the front end and get your motor modified or put a racing .21 in it like a top of the line Nova Rossi. Get some Calandra Racing Products 35mm wide rear tires for added rear traction after the engine mods.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't know what the point is in turning it into a drag oriented car it sounds stupid.

You could pick up Pro stock chassis for about $200 then you just need an engine/clutch system and servos. Then you would have a proper drag car.

But if you don't want to[sm=confused.gif] you may as well remove as much weight as possible. Take off the top deck. Replace the shocks with turnbuckles. cut your front wheels in half. Cut some of the chassis away. Cut away most of the shock towers. Get a smaller fuel tank. Fit some 1/8th scale rear wheels to the back. Take out all of the pullys and belts for the front wheels. Change your header pipe to a longer one.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: nitrohead5300

Increase your caster on the front end and get your motor modified or put a racing .21 in it like a top of the line Nova Rossi. Get some Calandra Racing Products 35mm wide rear tires for added rear traction after the engine mods.

Thanks. I have a new 3.3 that will run real hard that Rick Blake from RB mods did with a new virtually unbreakable rod and ported and timed for drag racing. Why use the 3.3 hugh? Well here at the local area where I am running, this class calls for the stock 3.3 for this car but you can mod the motor. I will look into those 35mm tire/wheel too.

STR33T_RAC3R, yeah it sounds stupid to "YOU" but when I first bought the car, there were not any intentions on doing what I am now. It happened by accident really at our local Giant Food Store parking lot at about 1:00 a.m. when there were about 20 cars out there dragging. I jumped in and got hooked. I am fully aware of drag chassis and all that but then again, it isn't that serious to me to go out and purchase another chassis and build it from the ground up. I've got way bigger toys that this. A '06 ZX-14 that I drag race and a 1200 RWHP turbocharged '88 Mustang that runs 170 MPH in the 1/4. Now those things take all of my cash. "It's just a Hobby".

What is the benefit of a longer pipe? I just bought a THS pipe for this thing. I will contact wolfpackradicals.com tomorrow to see if I can get those 1/8th scale wheel/tire combo adapters as well. Thanks for you input too.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So you think it will be cheaper to turn a car not ment for drag racing into a drag car rather than just buying a drag car?
    How wrong you are.

170mph whats that in normal money? About 7.9 seconds?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: STR33T_RAC3R

So you think it will be cheaper to turn a car not ment for drag racing into a drag car rather than just buying a drag car?
    How wrong you are.

170mph whats that in normal money? About 7.9 seconds?

The 170 is only 8.80's at the moment. LOL. I wished a 7.90 was in the bill but the faster you go with real cars, the more **** breaks too.

Well I guess I could buy a chassis built for drag racing rather than do this one but so far it fun running it as is. I will have to check into a chassis tomorrow and see what I can get. I really like the Funny cars more than anything since they are close to the real nitro stuff sorta.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

didnt get a chance to read to the top posts so sorry if i repeat someone. (and dont listen to the 4-tec haters)

1. Get a wider tire in the rear. Im running 30mm in the back and 26mm in the front.

2. Get a nice racing exhaust i dont know how that traxxas tuned pipe is tho.

3. Replace parts in carbon fiber. Most of my 4-tec is carbon.

4. lose weight, chaning out the elec. start is good.

*5. chainge ur gears. the 4-tec comes stock with a 37/41 spur gear set up....buy the 41/45 setup, a pain to fit (cuz of the lip on the chassis) but i nice change, your tires wont spin as much on the start.

I have all this done to my 4-tec so if your wondering how i did something just ask

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rangerdanger360, thanks for the encouragement. Right now I have 30mm rear and 26mm front foams but it just blows the tires right off the rims even though I have glued the crap outta them. I am going to a set of wheel/tires off of a 1/8 scale car soon. I found that wolfpackradicals.com has some conversions that will go from 1/8 to 1/10 cars with their kits. So far, I've tried the following:

1. I took the drive belt system off so that just the rear is pulling and that was instant tire spin and outta control donuts so on went the belt for the front again BUT I will re-try just the rear when I get the bigger wheel/tires for it.

2. I modded the clutch system to work in a leading edge engagement. The leading portion of the clutch will wing out and engage the clutch bell as the motor turns counterclockwise. Configuring the clutch in this manner slightly raises the RPM's at which the clutch will engage. This provides a snappier bottom end response. The downside is a small increase in clutch wear. The stock system is set up in a trailing edge configuration which is that when the motor rotates counterclockwise, the trailing portion of the clutch shoe will swing out due to centrifugal force and contact the clutch bell. This is because, as the engine rotates, the pin that the clutch shoe pivots on is before the end of the clutch shoe that moves as RPM's increase.

3. I have already deleted the EZ-starter system for weight.

4. I am going to look into the carbon fiber panels as you said.

5. I will get the spur gears as well but will switch from gear set to gear set to get the optimum setting BUT the new and bigger wheel/tires will dictate what the car wants.

6. I have a new THS pipe on the way for the 3.3 as well as a brand new RB modded 3.3 engine on the way.

Please if there's ANYTHING that you may think that I need to know, post it here as I will also ask here.

A. Did you change out any of the servos on your 4-tec?

B. What was the noticeable difference going from the stock gearing to the 41/45?

C. Any engine mods to yours or plans to?

D. Are you drag racing also?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Finally some1 that can see eye-to-eye on a 4-tec

A. I changed out ALL of the electronics on my 4-tec

Throttle servo = JR racing Z-250
    Steering servo = Futaba S3305 high tourque/ metal gears
    Reciever = Futaba AM 75MHZ Reciever
    Radio = Futaba Magnum JR

B. With the larger gears i did realize that I lost a tiny bit of bottom end but i definitly felt the difference in top end. Glad i bought them.

C. Nope no Engine mods I have a TRX 2.5R and i can still beat some 3.3 setups. I do have my gearing setup nearly perfect, its letting me get the most power out of first gear then shifting. try to stay in 1st gear as long as you can without loosing power. I also have the THS racing pipe and its amazing, a lot better then the stock plastic pipe i was using. Im using a Integy high performance air filter as well.

D.ehh, i really dont drag considering i too lazy to find out where the older guys are racing which is normally liek a home depot parking lot or a mall parking lot at night. I really just run my car on my street with my friends.

I'm going to get u a pic of my car so you can get an idea of how everything looks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Clean car man and you've got alot of upgrades to go with it. How well are those tires holding up and what brand are they? I blew the ones in the pics above clean off the rims and now this to a new set of stock wheel/tires. I am researching to see if I can get an 1/8 scale set of wheel/tires to fit.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i just got the tires im using off of ebay. it was some weird ass brand but i didnt care bcuz the foamies i was using were getting pretty worn out. I paid $17.99 for all 4 and the compound number is 37. They have been holing up fine so far, but the only thing im realizing thats weird it that off the line 4-tecs spin the front tires like crazy....but my front tires are barely worn down....my rear wheels barely work cuz the yoke nut is loose and i havent fixed it yet, but my rear tires are actually worn down more then the front.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

your off balance. try placing the battery closer to the front. or try stiffining the rear and softening the front so the weight shift is low.
    Signature
    (Max. 125 chars. 2 lines max)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It has been shown that run time and top speed are not really affected by the 4wd as opposed to 2wd. The extra drag is very minimal, so keep the 4wd, any (and it will be VERY little) power lost by 4wd will be made up for 10x by the increased traction that 4wd offers. I would assume you are running a high nitro percentage fuel, that should go without saying. Do not neglect the benefits of aerodynamics on these cars, obviously keep it low and try to get a good body (running a body will help). Cut rotating mass as much as possible, because just like on full scale, a lighter wheel will help accelerate the car much faster.