Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

i need some help here

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 08:38 PM
oneofakindtrini

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need some help here

i have a hpi rs4 3 evo + and i was wondering anyone have any advice on how to remove a screw with a stripped head
Old 03-07-2008, 09:19 PM
ferrarimk13

Default RE: i need some help here

which kind of screw? if its a hex, itll be very hard, especially if its countersunk, if its phillips, just use a flat head.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Itsme7

There are a couple of options. Slot it, easy out, or just drill the head off the screw and with the little bit of screw sticking out after the head is popped off, grab onto it with needle nose visegrips and crank it out. I recently needed to drill off the screw heads on my engine, the wierd size flathead screws on Nova base engines are annoying. The only screwdriver i could get that would fit right twisted the tip off, because the screws were so tight. Even heated it up before trying, no luck. Drilled the heads off and no problem. Ordered hex style screws for it, and now its all good. The best thing to prevent stripped screws is to use good hardware, 12.9 grade screws, and to have a good wrench set.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:33 PM
ferrarimk13

yes, its simple with a dremel, just cut a slit, and stick a flat head screwdriver in there.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:45 PM
ighhockey9
My Feedback: (2)

sometimes you can grip it well enough with a pliers as well.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:13 PM
oneofakindtrini

thanks for the advice but i got the screw out i used a hammer and a screwdriver and just put the screwdriver on the screw and hit it with a hammer a couple of times
Old 03-09-2008, 09:05 AM
TIG-1

ORIGINAL: ferrarimk13

which kind of screw? if its a hex, itll be very hard, especially if its countersunk, if its phillips, just use a flat head.
Not really, simply use some strong cement like 'JB weld' or something of that nature & take your hex key, dip in the cement( careful not to get cement on fastened part) & place key in rounded head overnight & remove in morning . Now with that being said, it is a good idea to cut off the end of keys when they begin to look worn, it will help prevent "round off" & it will give you a new fit every time.[sm=idea.gif]