Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

OFFICIAL OFNA DM-1 THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 12:41 AM
Telvery

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL OFNA DM-1 THREAD

I'm at the tallest gearing I can purchase, so next is some custom gears.  The boys at work can do that for me but at the moment I have no chance of them completing the job as they have 4 chassis on the go for the start of our season..

I think I have fixed the aero ( but we will see), I fitted a large front under tray and the blended the front spoiler of the factory body into the undertray with helmet foam, softened up the front suspension alot as well. 

I have some 35% fuel but didn't want to use that until I get a better feel for the tuning of this thing.

But you can't give me any more hp either can you?.  If you can give me more hp, even if it's a bigger motor I can soon make a new chassis to fit it in.

Cheers
Old 02-15-2012, 08:03 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Telvery

I'm at the tallest gearing I can purchase, so next is some custom gears. The boys at work can do that for me but at the moment I have no chance of them completing the job as they have 4 chassis on the go for the start of our season..

I think I have fixed the aero ( but we will see), I fitted a large front under tray and the blended the front spoiler of the factory body into the undertray with helmet foam, softened up the front suspension alot as well.

I have some 35% fuel but didn't want to use that until I get a better feel for the tuning of this thing.

But you can't give me any more hp either can you?. If you can give me more hp, even if it's a bigger motor I can soon make a new chassis to fit it in.

Cheers

what brand of fuel are you currently running ? your running a 086 pipe ? which glowplug............ answer these 3 questions and maybe I can find you more power...................
Old 02-15-2012, 11:30 AM
ARDV8

If anyone can give you more power Neil can................question is can you handle it lol
Old 02-23-2012, 01:42 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can anyone confirm the pitch of the spur gears?
Old 02-23-2012, 04:31 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

32 pitch
Old 02-23-2012, 04:53 PM
ryan_t888

Thanks, I keep getting it confused with Mod1.

Edit: Details in Next Post
Old 02-23-2012, 09:40 PM
ryan_t888

I just ran measurements and did some calcs on the 48t spur, 44t spur, 14t pin, 18t pin, 16t pin, and 20t pin.

They are all coming out to be a 25.4 diametral pitch which is Metric Module 1.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:25 AM
Telvery

Hi
Is anyone having issues with the fibre brake disc sticking to the steel pad and preventing drive.  I have to get in with a screwdriver and pry the disc of the pad.  

Trev
Old 03-07-2012, 06:11 AM
whipnet

Hi
Is anyone having issues with the fibre brake disc sticking to the steel pad and preventing drive. I have to get in with a screwdriver and pry the disc of the pad.

Trev
The first upgrade to any DM-1 should be the brakes.
http://www.rccoh.com/rc.how-to/dm-1.brake.upgrade.html

Old 03-07-2012, 08:48 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Took my DM-1 with Mach 427/Go 2047 out Saturday last weekend, and it ran great... Took it out again Sunday....................., and it ate the 2nd-gear spur...

This car for me is predominantly a PIA. With zero local or even nation-wide part support.

To think I got it instead of the Kyosho IGT2 - which has abundant local (and CHEAP) part support, because of all the 2-speed issues the Kyosho supposedly had...., is ....................................galling, to say the least...
Old 03-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Telvery

Herr Savage
Just do what I did, get onto Ofnawarehouse.com and order $300 worth of spares, I purchased clutch bells, bearings suspension components, gears, shocker kits etc etc. pain in the arse but it's the only way I could keep it going.

Or do this, buy a Kyosho Evolva and a Capricorn C801, you won't have any money left but heck, that Capricorn C801 is a nice car.

Cheers
Old 03-12-2012, 10:09 PM
HerrSavage

Hey Telvery, so have you been frying gears too?

I'm really kind of in a c.rap situation here with my DM-1.. I basically have two of them, and have invested a couple hundred Euros already just in stupid little clutch and 2-speed bits(and OK an alu chassis brace..) But I can't keep an RC that blows a 2-speed every second time out.. AND with zero European parts support, and $30 clutch bells..
Old 03-12-2012, 10:11 PM
HerrSavage

double-post
Old 03-12-2012, 10:27 PM
ryan_t888

I don't have any issues with the 2 speed spurs and I'm running a lot more power through them than most.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:35 PM
HerrSavage

Last time out I was running buggy onroad tires instead of the smaller diameter rally game tires. So I had to adjust the shift-point. Which I did quickly, and it responded well. The shift was still a bit late, but it sounded cool and was performing great.. Next day though, half-way through the first tank... wwwaaaannnnggghhhh!!!.. Great.. I had VERY carefully shimmed the CB(which is still perfect..) and set what on any other RC would be a good mesh. Does the DM-1 just need a special kind of mesh - loose or tight? And is the 2-speed that sensitive to a slightly late shift point?
Old 03-13-2012, 07:14 AM
ryan_t888

I would have to say no, the 2 speed is built awfully strong and handles shift points at any speed The clutch used is a full surface clutch that is solid in material.

I still have the original spur gears I received used with the kit over a year ago. Never stripped a spur. Never counted the amount of cycles but I would believe I'm well over 50 easily.

What is breaking on your 2-speed assembly and how are you mounting your engine?
Old 03-13-2012, 07:19 AM
supertib

geez..I have 2 DM-1's, we run crazy engines and have yet to have any issue with the clutchbells...heck I have not even heard of my customers having these issues....Must be doing something wrong dude !!!!!! or missing something........ or everyone with these ars would be having the same issues.... Of course unless you got a string of clutch gears that were factory faulty, improper hardening.......... Very common to have bad production runs with Taiwanese products........We are still on the original gears on our cars, from 3 years ago.....so it is definitely possible that the newer batches of gears are too soft.....
Old 03-13-2012, 07:32 AM
whipnet

I've had some small rocks tear up one of my spurs on my DM-1, but that is it. I run brutal brushless power with my 2 speed as well.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:23 AM
HerrSavage

I have a ton of experience meshing similar CB/SG setups with my LST2's.. And I've meshed a ton of other RC's over the years. I haven't had SG issues like this since my first RTR Savage 6-7 years ago.. I know how to mesh.

This past weekend I just gunned it, 1st wound up high, then bam... Knew immediately the 2nd gear was gone. Even ran some more gas out of it in 1st.. The 44T gear was just rounded out like you'd see on the old Savage SG's.

I mean, I don't know how you people drive, but I like to drive my RC's pretty much all-out on the gas. I was drifting a little bit, and hammering it out of the curve onto the straight (was doing that when it happened..), but nothing too over the top.

I'm even especially careful with this DM-1 now, since having these issue. The CB was thoroughly cleaned and shimmed, and the mesh was good.

Maybe it's just little rocks?? But man, that's some pretty bad luck.. The track where I run is pavement, with some dirt and pebbles, but no worse than your average parking lot or neighborhood street...

The incredibly frustrating thing is I got this car over the Kyosho IGT2 because everybody said that car had 2-speed issues. And here I can get Kyosho parts local and cheap, and for a stupid Ofna CB or SG I have to order from a different continent... So far my DM-1 has not gone six full tanks without shredding a SG. I think for my next order I will try different gearing and see if that helps. I guess 45-49 on the SG's since 15-19 is too hard to find(for me, from a shop with sensible shipping rates..) for the pinions...
Old 03-14-2012, 04:02 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

I have a ton of experience meshing similar CB/SG setups with my LST2's.. And I've meshed a ton of other RC's over the years. I haven't had SG issues like this since my first RTR Savage 6-7 years ago.. I know how to mesh.

This past weekend I just gunned it, 1st wound up high, then bam... Knew immediately the 2nd gear was gone. Even ran some more gas out of it in 1st.. The 44T gear was just rounded out like you'd see on the old Savage SG's.

I mean, I don't know how you people drive, but I like to drive my RC's pretty much all-out on the gas. I was drifting a little bit, and hammering it out of the curve onto the straight (was doing that when it happened..), but nothing too over the top.

I'm even especially careful with this DM-1 now, since having these issue. The CB was thoroughly cleaned and shimmed, and the mesh was good.

Maybe it's just little rocks?? But man, that's some pretty bad luck.. The track where I run is pavement, with some dirt and pebbles, but no worse than your average parking lot or neighborhood street...

The incredibly frustrating thing is I got this car over the Kyosho IGT2 because everybody said that car had 2-speed issues. And here I can get Kyosho parts local and cheap, and for a stupid Ofna CB or SG I have to order from a different continent... So far my DM-1 has not gone six full tanks without shredding a SG. I think for my next order I will try different gearing and see if that helps. I guess 45-49 on the SG's since 15-19 is too hard to find(for me, from a shop with sensible shipping rates..) for the pinions...
something has to be wrong

what gear sets are you running ? you must be running the wrong tooth counts...something really simple you are overlooking....
Old 03-17-2012, 03:24 PM
Telvery

HerrSavage

No I haven't hurt the spur gears yet, I was just saying that I just ordered a heap of parts in one hit seeing both you and have to pay heaps for freight.
I bulk ordered clutch bells, bearings, suspension parts etc etc.  

Neal on the engine power, would many have the power in there engines compared to that Nova you built me. If they don't, then that would mean If I don't strip gears then not many should through engine power.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:18 PM
supertib

HerrSavage

No I haven't hurt the spur gears yet, I was just saying that I just ordered a heap of parts in one hit seeing both you and have to pay heaps for freight.
I bulk ordered clutch bells, bearings, suspension parts etc etc.

Neal on the engine power, would many have the power in there engines compared to that Nova you built me. If they don't, then that would mean If I don't strip gears then not many should through engine power.

very very few nitros would have the power of your 28.....
Old 03-17-2012, 11:13 PM
HerrSavage

Gearing is bone stock - 16/20 - 44/48.

The only thing I can think of is maybe some kind of chassis flex. This "Sport" kit version is basically the 1/7 RTR version as a kit. It has plastic chassis braces. I put in a Kingz Headz CRT alu one in the rear*, but it' still happening.

* The brace is alu, but the shock holder top-plate thingy is still plastic and flexes..

I can't swing it right now, but eventually I guess I might try an alu front brace and alu shock holders front and rear.. The chassis flex idea is just a theory.. With the lay-down shocks front and rear, and the long chassis, the car does seem to roll around it's longitudinal axis (right term?..) more. With buggy shocks in the rear I can imagine that being reduced(why some people actually mod their 1/7 DM-1's to have stand-up rear shocks... AND fronts even..) Still, I've never heard of 1/7 DM-1 people with issues either, so IDK.. A CRT King Headz engine mount could also be worth a try.. Not going to invest in any of that right now though. It's buggy time....

I was running my LST2 on a track yesterday. Was going great til it made a weird sound and starting only running at low speed, despite high revs. I thought "oh crap, 2-speed..." Took off the gear cover and saw the SG's were in mint condition.. Was a blown rear diff and mangled CB bearings.. Anyway, I was running on a track and putting the truck through it's paces, and the 2-speed was rock solid..

Had some very bad luck with air filters falling off though. Might have cost me not one but two engines...(BOTH zip-tied like always!!.. Has never happened before.. []) Anyway, might have to change my engine constellation and finally get that RB RT10 engine they've been selling cheap here(€99) for the DM-1.., and move the Mach back over to the LST2 - if the Big Red really is toast.. Or, an LRP 30 or something for the LST2 and leave the Mach as is.. Really is kind of hard sometimes to decide which engine in what...

ps On a side-note, I did recently discover that when you go to ebay.com , if you search "dm one" instead of "dm-1" you find some better results.. - re prices and shipping costs.. Still impossible though to find a shop with 15-19 pinions AND reasonable prices and shipping...
Old 03-18-2012, 07:33 AM
whipnet

I am not sure if these transmission braces would help you, or if they would even work with nitro, but they work great for me.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:11 PM
jspeed

Big time thanks to everyone that made the 2012 Ipanema Sports GT World Championships such a exciting and fun GT Only racing event!

Congrats to Paolo Morganti of Team Serpent for winning our GT Open Class and Hilton Martinez of Team Ipanema for winning our GT Spec Class!

Had a great time Puerto Rico and look forward to racing to racing there again soon!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.