RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

NTC3 - 2-speed tranny help

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 05:49 PM
surjer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NTC3 - 2-speed tranny help

Hello all,

I have recently aquired a used NTC3. This is my 1st NITRO car but not my 1st rc car. I have 2 other electric 1:10 cars. The car came outfitted with a 1 speed transmission but the seller reassured me the 2-speed parts are all in the box. (There was ALOT of extra parts that came with it). Anyways - My question to you guys is this.

How does a 2-speed system work? I found the installtion instructions but I would like to understand how it works before I attempt the conversion. I know how an auto tranny works in a car (sort of) slush box but how about in an rc car?
Old 05-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Baedarlboo
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: NTC3 - 2-speed tranny help

first gear sits on a oneway bearing. second gear is engaged by a centrifugal clutch just like the clutch on the motor, when it spins a certain RPM (dependent on spring pressure) it opens and latches to the 2 speed housing. At that instant, the first gear isn't doing anything becasue it's sitting on a one way bearing. It's hard to explain without actually showing with the parts in hand and going through the motion. But i tried my best [8D]
Old 05-08-2008, 05:48 PM
surjer

Thanks for the explanation. It was the whole "clutch shoe" part that I was missing. I guess thats what takes place of the "slush box" in a real car. Anyways, After inspecting all of the parts needed I am missing quite a few peaces. Does anyone know where to get a 2-speed conversion for the NTC3?
Old 05-08-2008, 10:53 PM
Baedarlboo
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: surjer

Thanks for the explanation. It was the whole "clutch shoe" part that I was missing. I guess thats what takes place of the "slush box" in a real car. Anyways, After inspecting all of the parts needed I am missing quite a few peaces. Does anyone know where to get a 2-speed conversion for the NTC3?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBMH6&P=7