Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

OS Glow Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 05:51 AM
Osirisf16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS Glow Plugs

Hey guys, little help here as always I was chacking the glow plugs of OS and i can't understand that "hot", ultra hot", "cold" terms. What are they stand for? The weather? For example the P3 which is ultra hot is good for cold weather conditions and the P8 which is cold, is better in heat conditions like the summer?

Also, the standard glow plug that came with my VZR was a P7. The Vspec comes with a P3. What's the difference?

Here a chart of what i mean:

Old 05-16-2008, 01:39 AM
PAPE

Default RE: OS Glow Plugs

that the temp of the plug, think of it kind of a timing adjusment. Like on a spark plug engine when you advance or retard the timing. Well on a glow engine you cant control spark but you can control glow plug temperature.If you had the difrent plug temps next to you, you'll see that the hotter plugs have the coil more exposed, a bigger hole were the coil seats and mabe even a thiner coil. As you look into the cold plug the coil will be in a smaller hole and the coil a bit more protected.

difrent temps are a way of tuning a glow engine, you will get more top RPM's with a cold plug. and also difrent nitro %s will need difrent temps, ect...
Old 05-16-2008, 02:49 AM
Osirisf16

Mmm. Well, that explain a few doubts i had. For a complete answer, i must expirement on my old Vspec. Oh, the poor engine. It has a lot hard time with me
Old 05-16-2008, 05:02 PM
GYNAIKAS

Well after the modification I use the R5 version from both OS or LRP. The colder the glow plug, the lower its operating temperature. That means that a glow plug hotter than medium can easily fail during hot summer days. And a cold glow plug used at cold winter days may give you a really hard time to start the engine and also bad performance. Medium glow plugs are for more balanced conditions.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:42 AM
Osirisf16

So, now that the summer came for good, i must use cold plugs, for example the P7 or the P8, right?
Old 05-17-2008, 05:48 PM
GYNAIKAS

P7 for now...will keep you engine both fast and troublefree. But if summer comes (35-40 degrees) then the P8 would be a wiser choice for racing.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:29 PM
Osirisf16

Ok, i think i got these glow plugs behaviour Thank you guys