Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

Nasty 1/10 scale on-road cars using .21 or larger engines....come inside

Community
Search
Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Nasty 1/10 scale on-road cars using .21 or larger engines....come inside

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 05:03 PM
MiamizFinest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Nasty 1/10 scale on-road cars using .21 or larger engines....come inside

Dam i didnt know there was custom parts inovled in your builds.............some one sayed early i had access to custom parts and gears??!?!?!? i dunno why anyoen would think that tho everything on my racer 2 is dirrectly from any local hobby shop shelf, only this that is needed to know WHAT SHELF to pic from

Brent are you geting custom made pinion gears???? for the HPI threaded bell there is up to 25 tooth count teeth, and with a change in clutch bell from another brand pinion gears up to 30T are readly avaible in 1.0 pitch
Old 01-03-2009, 05:04 PM
nitrorevo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nasty 1/10 scale on-road cars using .21 or larger engines....come inside

ORIGINAL: Brent Davis

all you guys have to do is call nitrohouse.com and tell them that amainhobbies has the CD3 on sale for $159 and they will match the price. I got three cars like that.

Over_Revo, let me know if I can help out with anything once you get the CD3 and you will like not having little pebbles getting in the belt and stripping it and all that. That P9R making that kind of HP is going to be an animal in that little car.

nitrorevo, get to work.
Brent, I'm on the job. Been working on two setups on the same car for right now, and it throws me off a little. Here is where I am with the BB install. Got the SB install complete. Went to test it out, and realized my Ofna truggy box has the wheel on the other side. I can swich it for right now, but now I need a new box as well.

More confident now I can make the build work. Got the engine mouted w/perfect mesh with the Ofna mounts just for trial fitting, but have to use the back two holes to keep two speed. The .21 mounts I ordered didn't come today, but should be here on Monday and are a little shorter I think. Maybe tap two holes and done. Savage header gives plenty of clearance as well. Got to figure out something for the pipe, can't get the coupler over that fat lip, but once everything is fitted, I can drop it right into the CD3 no problem.

One pic of the completed JLR .12, will post the rest in the other forum. Gonna go with the Kawara tires on this one, Don't think these 30mm rear tires will cut it. J need a 220mm body, the Lola body does nothing for me. Now I can focus on the BB build.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Brent Davis

well really the only thing that you HAVE to have for my car and doing the 1/8 scale tires is the dogbones. The axles are not 100% necessary as I could use RED loctite but I rather use the BLUE. Everything else is the stock stuff modified so it aint that bad at all. If you got the WANT in you, then you can get it done.

nitrorevo, it is looking good man and the .12 looks right at home. Definately keep us posted man. I like what I see.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:42 PM
nitrorevo

well really the only thing that you HAVE to have for my car and doing the 1/8 scale tires is the dogbones. The axles are not 100% necessary as I could use RED loctite but I rather use the BLUE. Everything else is the stock stuff modified so it aint that bad at all. If you got the WANT in you, then you can get it done.

nitrorevo, it is looking good man and the .12 looks right at home. Definately keep us posted man. I like what I see.
Brent,

The shafts on the IGT are a lot more beefy than the stock CD3. Did the stock shafts break in the weld or the end tips. I could easily buy 4 GT replacement shafts or stronger shafts from another vehicle, cut to new size for the tire conversion and weld back. I wouldn't think the stronger shaft would break in the weld.

You may have saif this before, but your tires were also cut down right, or did you run them down. Just getting my final order together and making sure I didn't over look anything. The other mods are easy with a dremel. I will pass on the axles.

Thanks,
Old 01-03-2009, 07:47 PM
CBM Racing

For the bigblock coupler there are lots out there that are tapered more, so you can just put it over the first part of the pipe butted up to the normal spring connecter part. It works good that way if you have room to mount it on the pipe hanger. Looks great so far though, should haul pretty good!
Old 01-03-2009, 08:01 PM
Over_revO

The build is looking good so far!
Old 01-03-2009, 08:22 PM
nitrorevo

ORIGINAL: Over_revO

The build is looking good so far!
Thanks, the .21 mounts I have coming should be a little better fit. I just found some heavy duty 8mm dog bones $12 and have a guy that can cut them to size, weld back together, sand smooth and balance.

Brent, when you get a chance, I need your dog bone measurement from end to end of the shaft portion, not including the ball end. MM's might be better to be more precise. Thanks

CBM Racing
For the bigblock coupler there are lots out there that are tapered more, so you can just put it over the first part of the pipe butted up to the normal spring connecter part. It works good that way if you have room to mount it on the pipe hanger. Looks great so far though, should haul pretty good!
I sits perfect on the pipe hanger and I had the coupler on, but the tie kept slipping off. Did the same thing on the .12 pipe,so I just brought it all the way over the lip. The lip on the JP-4 much bigger and already ripped one coupler. I will try the smaller size like you said. The hobby shop only had pink. huh

Old 01-04-2009, 02:34 AM
ProRCRacer88

ORIGINAL: nitrorevo

all you guys have to do is call nitrohouse.com and tell them that amainhobbies has the CD3 on sale for $159 and they will match the price. I got three cars like that.

Over_Revo, let me know if I can help out with anything once you get the CD3 and you will like not having little pebbles getting in the belt and stripping it and all that. That P9R making that kind of HP is going to be an animal in that little car.

nitrorevo, get to work.
Brent, I'm on the job. Been working on two setups on the same car for right now, and it throws me off a little. Here is where I am with the BB install. Got the SB install complete. Went to test it out, and realized my Ofna truggy box has the wheel on the other side. I can swich it for right now, but now I need a new box as well.

More confident now I can make the build work. Got the engine mouted w/perfect mesh with the Ofna mounts just for trial fitting, but have to use the back two holes to keep two speed. The .21 mounts I ordered didn't come today, but should be here on Monday and are a little shorter I think. Maybe tap two holes and done. Savage header gives plenty of clearance as well. Got to figure out something for the pipe, can't get the coupler over that fat lip, but once everything is fitted, I can drop it right into the CD3 no problem.

One pic of the completed JLR .12, will post the rest in the other forum. Gonna go with the Kawara tires on this one, Don't think these 30mm rear tires will cut it. J need a 220mm body, the Lola body does nothing for me. Now I can focus on the BB build.

u could cut the pipe where the lip part is or grind the lip down so the coupler slips on
Old 01-04-2009, 11:01 AM
helivaguy

i scrapped my rs4 3 bb conversion project...i took miami's advice when he said dont do the conversion.
shoe horning a bb engine in a 1/10 chassis is one thing and getting it to stay together and handle is another battle.
i now have a team magic g4 evo coming and will see how my .21 idm modified P9 on-road will fit,
hoping the exaust and motor mounts will not be an issue with this platform.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:22 PM
nitrohead5300

ORIGINAL: helivaguy

i scrapped my rs4 3 bb conversion project...i took miami's advice when he said dont do the conversion.
shoe horning a bb engine in a 1/10 chassis is one thing and getting it to stay together and handle is another battle.
i now have a team magic g4 evo coming and will see how my .21 idm modified P9 on-road will fit,
hoping the exaust and motor mounts will not be an issue with this platform.
....................I believe you can make it work I suspect you may have to make some motor mounts and if the motor rubs against the belt and side pulleys you may have to make some longer shafts for the side pulleys so this does not happen.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:49 PM
Brent Davis

ORIGINAL: nitrorevo
Brent, when you get a chance, I need your dog bone measurement from end to end of the shaft portion, not including the ball end. MM's might be better to be more precise.

end to end is 36mm and since I had a 'bone in my hands, I measured ball to ball and that was 45.25mm's.

on the pipe end, I cut mine off and drilled, tapped for a screw and put a dab of silicone on the screw and that gave me alot more clearance for the pipe to tire.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:37 PM
RUSTYREVO

I've been reading the post about the comparison or engine sizes. To let u know I have been getting killed by a highly modded rb .15 until lastnight. I gave these guys, I gave these guys i run with all they could handle with a stock one year old 18tz in a stock gpx4. mind u i have had this same motor in a tc3 and they gave me a 26 foot head start and beat me by car lenght or two. As of lastnight the gpx4 is official they think i modded the motor or got a new one the car just hooks up and shoots a straight line with out using the wheel. It spins the tires lightly, but tire dressing will fix that. oh yeah i got maybe a three foot wheelie out this set up i will need a wheelie bar, lol
Old 01-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Brent Davis

ORIGINAL: RUSTYREVO

I've been reading the post about the comparison or engine sizes. To let u know I have been getting killed by a highly modded rb .15 until lastnight. I gave these guys, I gave these guys i run with all they could handle with a stock one year old 18tz in a stock gpx4. mind u i have had this same motor in a tc3 and they gave me a 26 foot head start and beat me by car lenght or two. As of lastnight the gpx4 is official they think i modded the motor or got a new one the car just hooks up and shoots a straight line with out using the wheel. It spins the tires lightly, but tire dressing will fix that. oh yeah i got maybe a three foot wheelie out this set up i will need a wheelie bar, lol

LOL, yep Calvin told me that put the hurtin' on you guys last night. Man you have GOT to know what you are doing to beat them. Gear selections, fuel type, pipe, etc., etc. I built that big tire NTC3 that they have and NOBODY will even ask to run that car.....LMAO, and I know why too. The car is intimidating to those that have never seen a small 1/10 scale car use a tire that big.

THERE'S ABSOLUTELY no way that your .18 TZ should get beat when they have spotted you 26 feet...............good grief man and then to run WITHOUT the motor modded. That RB .15 that they have has been modified by RBmods and YES it is fast but with a 26 feet spot and a .18 TZ, you shouldn't be posting that you got beat by a .15 that caught up to you and won by 2-3 lengths. Something in your entire program is OFF.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:28 PM
RUSTYREVO

your right brent, something was off, the whole car was off. my gear ratio for the tc3 is set up to top out at a long distace say 200 feet and better. lastnite i ran them with stock everything in my gpx4 just to gage the car. heads up 1 to 1 1\2 lengths gearing will correct that. then they got brave and gave me 13 feet and fine tuned their motor, i was running rich on the bottom all night never made any adjustments from the time i started the car up and it proved that their car is fast, but not as fast as they thought. i did win some and calvin knows its back to the drawing board. on the tc3 they got from u its one person they wont run with it at 150 to 200 feet and he knows who that is. once i modd this motor and test some gearing they will be back in the lab cooking up something new.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Brent Davis

RUSTYREVO, man I wished I was close to you guys........damn. It seems like all the fun is in Raleigh, NC.

Yeah running that GPX4 bone stock chassis is about 70% of your issue and the rest is running a none ported .18 TZ. Yes it is a strong fast engine out the box but you know porting it can net another 7+MPH which can be HUGE in a race. Lean the bottom out some too. BTW, Calvin is supposed to send me some video footage from last night.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:07 PM
CBM Racing

Awsome to hear about gpx4 hooking up. Just got a new one and every night for a week I been looking at it trying to decide what to do with it. Wanting to put a .21 in it, but no budget right now for one. Whatever I do, I wanna do it the miami/Brent way, that's to say to not take shortcuts and just do it right .But, I also don't want to copy their work either, and be able to say it's all my buildup. For now, a modded 18tm will go in I think, but then I keep thinking bb...DOHP! I hate not being able to make my mind up[&:]. I have got a mach 427 not in use right now, but not sure I can fit it in there as wide as it is. Will check some more in the am. and see what I can figure out on here. The urge to just build it crazy is getting stronger, heh heh.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:05 PM
nitrorevo

your right brent, something was off, the whole car was off. my gear ratio for the tc3 is set up to top out at a long distace say 200 feet and better. lastnite i ran them with stock everything in my gpx4 just to gage the car. heads up 1 to 1 1\2 lengths gearing will correct that. then they got brave and gave me 13 feet and fine tuned their motor, i was running rich on the bottom all night never made any adjustments from the time i started the car up and it proved that their car is fast, but not as fast as they thought. i did win some and calvin knows its back to the drawing board. on the tc3 they got from u its one person they wont run with it at 150 to 200 feet and he knows who that is. once i modd this motor and test some gearing they will be back in the lab cooking up something new.

RUSTYREVO, I got my RS4 done ealry yesterday. I would have liked to hook up with you guys over at the WD warehouse spot. I was doing some tweaking on the setup even today after the rain stopped. Just drop me a PM when you guys get together again. Would like to run with some Raleigh guys sometimes, instead of always taking the hump to Fuquay.

Thanks
Tracey
Old 01-05-2009, 08:56 AM
RUSTYREVO

brent, make sure he sends you all the footage. some are heads up and some are at a 13ft spot. i can get the chasis for 40 bucks thats cut up similiar to what u do. i plan on sending it the motor to RBmods i need a new piston, sleeve and rod. thinking about it i might be cheaper to just by a new one being that i got that one at 90 to 100 bucks new.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:14 AM
RUSTYREVO

yeah man, i used the 40mm tires and she went down the track straight as an arrow. even without the 40mm tires she tracked with the rubbers that it came with. like i said she comes off the ground with the 18tz and 40mm tires. man this car runs like a sewing machine. one more thing, the stock pipe that came with the .12 seems to befriend the .18tz.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Brent Davis

RUSTYREVO, man come on are you kidding that you are using that .12 pipe?

Yeah you might as well just get a new engine instead of buying a piston/rod and sleeve.

Calvin hasn't sent me the vids yet.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:38 AM
nitrohead5300

Old 01-05-2009, 02:58 PM
RUSTYREVO

RUSTYREVO, man come on are you kidding that you are using that .12 pipe?

Yeah you might as well just get a new engine instead of buying a piston/rod and sleeve.

Calvin hasn't sent me the vids yet.
serious, i tried a couple of pipes and the stocker gave the best performance for that motor. call it what u want, but it works
Old 01-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Brent Davis

serious, i tried a couple of pipes and the stocker gave the best performance for that motor. call it what u want, but it works
wow, well I guess since it is your engine and you know what is working for it, then you have to stick to what works for you.

keep me posted on what car you build.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:21 PM
Over_revO

For the TZ if you have the chance to try a big block header with a stock blue revo pipe 2 chamber try it.
For all the combos i tried its also the best setup i found, but dunno what setup you used...

Ill may be order me a CD3 this week..
Old 01-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Brent Davis

ORIGINAL: Over_revO

For the TZ if you have the chance to try a big block header with a stock blue revo pipe 2 chamber try it.
For all the combos i tried its also the best setup i found, but dunno what setup you used...

Ill may be order me a CD3 this week..
X2, I've been using the big block header for ALL small blocks and when I did it to a 3.3 and it responded very well, I just follwed that to the rest of small block engines.

Cool on the CD3. It handles a TON better than the 4-tec does. Just add foams along with a strong motor and hold on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.