Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

OFFICIAL RS4 RTR 3 thread!!!!!!!Also type SS and others

Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

OFFICIAL RS4 RTR 3 thread!!!!!!!Also type SS and others

Old 11-17-2008, 01:08 AM
k20_94_dc
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL RS4 RTR 3 thread!!!!!!!Also type SS and others

Can anyone here help me out on a small spektrum question for my rs4?? I'm wondering if i can run any spectrum reciver (futaba,airtronics etc) with my spektrum dx3.0 or does it have to be the spektrum brand. Thanks
Old 11-17-2008, 03:25 PM
walshyfz86
My Feedback: (1)

What would be another good thing to get for handling wise? I have the sway bars threaded shocks and 40 shore foam tires 30mm rear 26 front. and a spektrum radio and reciever and servos

Any tips on good handling ?

Ride height?
Sway bars?
Gearing?

I have the 3.0 motor and it just seems to fast for the track. I was thinking on gearing it up so it will have a more controllable speed for the track. I wouldn't use the top speed much but it should tune down the low to mid speed. Any advice?

Another question. Is it better to have the wheels lock or for it to break hard enough to where they dont lock. Cause when i hit the brakes it just locks and slides. But with out them locking seems it wont stop worth a crap
Old 11-17-2008, 05:57 PM
maoy

walshyfz86, the sway bars will help make your car more stable during cornering.

As far as ride height is concern, the purpose is to hit the center of gravity. Make your ride low as possible but still provides good response to road bumps and bounces. When you lower your car, make sure you adjust the tie rod so the wheels can completely contact the ground because the wheels will bend upward on the edge. This means less traction so adjust the tie rod. Make the wheels contact the ground evenly. More contact patch, more traction and more power to the ground.

As far as gearing goes, you have to decide what you really want on your own. The gearing scheme is listed as follows.
There are 2 rules to proper gearing (pinion gears are the aluminum gear and spur are the black plastic gear):

1) Adding the spur and the pinion together. The sum of the teeth (spur gear1+ pinion gear1) must be equal to (spur gear2 + pinion gear2). You can offset it by 1 tooth and it should still work but to be safe, make sure you don't offset anything.
example: (19t pinion 1 + 43t spur gear 1) = (23t pinion gear 2 + 39t spur gear 2) = 62t total for a perfect mesh

2) Determine the total gap between the pinion gears and you should match the gap between the spurs the same way
example: (pinion gear2 - pinion gear1) = (spur gear2 - spur gear1)
23t-19t = 43t-39t = 4t difference, perfect mesh.

You can upgrade the pinion gears to red pinions 19t pinion gear 1 and 23t pinion gear 2(tallest pinions hpi makes), which will provide you with a better top end and a smoother take off. Then, you can also lower the spur gears if you want. Top speed is determined by your final gear ratio.

Final gear ratio = (spur gear/pinion gear) * (drive train ratio) = (spur gear 2 / pinion gear 2) * (36t / 14t)
Don't gear your engine too high, the 3.0 motor is weak at pulling tall gear ratios. If you upgrade the engine, then you can try to max out the gear ratio.

As far as braking goes, it is up to you. I have mines set so they will lock if I give it full throttle but I don't always give it full throttle. You are in charge and you don't have to fully hit the brakes to the point where they lock, just control the braking at your own pace. Also, I have never used it but I have heard Spektrum has the anti-lock braking system (ABS) where you can fully slam on the brake but it will prevent locking for better braking. You have to set it on your radio transmitter.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:36 PM
walshyfz86

Thanks for clearing that all up!. ill look into the abs.

What you where saying with tires. its better to have no camber. So the wheel is straight up and down? I have my front set 0 camber and rear is 1degree.

Another quick one

Shock oils. Would you recommend lower weight or higher weight? I dont no what these shocks have but i was running 35 losi oil in the stock shocks.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:59 PM
maoy

walshyfz86, well, setting it to zero camber might help but you have to actually test it out. It depends on the car. For me, since I don't do much cornering, setting it to zero camber is perfect because I can get the tires to fully contact the ground without having to worry about too much changes. If you have a bad camber setting, you will see that the tires will wear unevenly. It's hard to explain camber because it is a matter of physics. You have to read it on. Too much to explain.

For shock oils, the higher the weight, the harder it is for the shocks to compress. I forgot what I run in my shocks but I have it so the shocks are a little on the stiff side but it can compress and rebound easily. Softer shocks mean better clearance over bumps but it doesn't run as stable as stiff shocks on the straight. So, you have to find a balance where you will be able to clear bumps easily without having the car go all over the place on the straight. Too stiff means if you hit a bump, the car will hop. Find a good balance.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:11 PM
walshyfz86

Thanks!. i found some usefull stuff on google about the things you mentioned.

There one last question. Weights. I no a balanced car is better. I want to be balanced as perfect as i can get. But is the added weight much? and is it worth it? And how would i go about figuring out how to balance it. what amount of weights and where
Old 11-18-2008, 12:16 AM
arezeeRs4

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum.
I just got my Rs4 Evo 3 a month ago and I've added,
a Dynamite muffler
GPM Alloy parts
HPI High Performance Air Filter
Jaco Foams..etc..

(kitchen counter ftw)

Any tips or anything else I can do to my Rs4?
Old 11-18-2008, 12:42 AM
walshyfz86

looks good!. get your self a rechargeable receiver pack.
And it looks like you have your rear tires on the front. They look like 30mm up front and 26 in the rear. it should be the other way around.

another good thing is threaded shocks and hpi turnbuckle kit. Sway bars are nice to ive found out.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:56 AM
walshyfz86

Hey how bout some feedback. I layed carbon fiber decal over the top of the chassis. I de annodized the chassis also. But should i leave the carbon fiber look or polish it chrome?

Old 11-18-2008, 03:34 AM
maoy

arezeeRs4, welcome to the forum. First of all, I noticed that you have the purple pinion gears. The first thing you should do is upgrade your purple pinion gears to reds for gears one and two respectively 19t & 23t. You will have to purchase the 20mm aluminum engine mount p#86045. You can upgrade the spur gears as well but upgrading the pinions makes more of a difference and you should start slow, then advance.

Yupp, the sway bar kit is a must as walshyfz86 said. Make sure you upgrade the stock brake pad, the stocker sucks and will not provide the needed braking power (I assume you probably did this already). You can also upgrade the tie rods to adjustable ones by GPM. Also, you can get CVDs off eBay. CVDs will help make your car a lot smoother, not to mention, they will not come off as easy. I bought some from Taiwan, they work great and for $30, I got the full complete drivetrain.

If you want to go any more, the engine is the top stage. A great engine and exhaust system will make your rs4 top of the line. I am assuming you don’t want to perform engine swap at the moment.

A note: I am not a big fan of aluminum parts because if you hit something, they bend easily. Which means you have to bend the aluminum back or trash it. Also, aluminum parts add weight. You should upgrade to carbon fiber if you have the $$$. Otherwise, plastic will work fine.

walshyfz86, as far as weight is concerned, the rs4 is heavy. You should try to get rid of the aluminum parts. What every manufacturer tries to do is balance the car out so that both sides of the car weight the same. In other words, the engine and fuel side of your rs4 should balance out with the battery and servo side of the car. This way the car can go straight. However, when the car is in motion, all the weight are forced to the back of the car so it is more of making the back stronger to withstand all the weight. So, don’t worry about balancing out the weight. The car is good as is. Just try to keep it light. I like the Carbon Deck look of your car. Keep it that way.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:54 PM
walshyfz86

Carbon it is!. thanks

any idea how this was done? The front turnbuckle that supports the play in the C hub? I had it done to the stock plastic but he has it done to the Alum C Hub. It looks like it threaded in where the screw to hold it is. But if i tread a ball end into that its just to stiff.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...leanout103.jpg
Old 11-18-2008, 06:47 PM
arezeeRs4

@ maoy, I already ordered the HPI Turnbuckle kit and how do I go about getting sway bars?
Old 11-19-2008, 02:13 AM
maoy

The sway bar kit is hpi p#A209. You can get it from almost anywhere. I have one link listed below showing the sway bar kit for sale. $20

URL:
http://www.rcplanet.com/HPI_Sway_Bar..._p/hpia209.htm
Old 11-19-2008, 04:01 AM
Car-Tune

This is my 2 cars and I lightened my RS4-3 as much as I could and added a little weight on my drifter so the weight can help on the driffting
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35248.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1074857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82737.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1074858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95811.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1074859  
Old 11-19-2008, 04:04 AM
Car-Tune

I want to change my transmision to the R40 trany for higher speeds but I dont know where to get the adjustable engine mounts.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:52 AM
maoy

walshyfz86, I am not sure how they install that extra tie rod at the front. I believe somebody did it on this forum a while back and posted the answer. You might want to search this forum. It was recent.

Car-Boy, the R40 transmission will not provide higher speed because it is from a track car. Track cars are made for quick response and good top speed not the best. Besides, that will be a lot of work. Let me save you some time. It depends on how high you want but this is my setup. I hit about 70-80 mph with this setup depending on my engine.

I don't run it anymore because I run single speed now. The setup is:
Losi LST2 clutch bell. Losi LST2 25t pinion (gear 2) & 23t hpi pinion gear (gear 1). For spur gear, I ran 37t (gear 1) with 39t (gear 2).

The rs4 3 comes with a drivetrain ratio of (36t/14t) - taller ratio. The 18ss version comes with (38t/13t) drivetrain I believe.
Final gear ratio = (37/25) * (36/14)= 3.8 turns of the engine for 1 turn of the wheel

top speed = (wheel circumference/final gear ratio)*(max rev/min)*(60min/hr)*(6.21x10^-7mm/mi)
top speed = (65mmxPi/3.8)*(40,000 rpm - assuming you bought a top of the line engine)*(60min/hr)*(6.21x10^-7mm/mi)
top speed = 79mph

I run a 26t clutch bell now but single speed. It is even faster. Hope this helps. Be sure you have a very powerful engine, otherwise, you will have a hard time getting the car up to speed.

For adjustable engine mounts, you can contact wolfpack radicals. Go to their website (wolfpackradicals.com) and just browse through. They have all kinds of engine mounts but it will cost you. That is where I got my big block engine conversion. You will have to email the site ( [email protected] ).

Here is a secret. I am only sharing this with everybody here because I am here to help improve the hobby not kill it. You can get an ofna LD3/CD3 adjustable engine mount. It will allow you to drop in almost any engine. You must verify it by calling nitro house because there are two engine mounts and I am not sure at the moment which is 1/10 scale and which is 1/8 scale or if they are both 1/8. The links are listed below; it is great because these engine mounts will allow you to slide your engine forward or backward:

http://www.nitrohouse.com/catalog/pr...ducts_id=11735
http://www.nitrohouse.com/catalog/pr...ducts_id=11583
Old 11-19-2008, 08:07 PM
walshyfz86

Thanks!. i had it set up when i had plastic C hub but cant figure out a way to do it with the Alum chub.

I opened those shocks i bought and not a drip of shock oil in there put 40 in the rear and 30 in the front

since where talking about gear ratios how would a single speed perform for a track? Ive been thinking about it alot lately on making it a single speed
Old 11-19-2008, 09:07 PM
walshyfz86

Well was bored. was looking at the rest of this tread. Page 70ish around there they where talking about diff springs. Harder better traction. and some took the spring out. Now i was thinking. Having a softer spring up front. and a stiffer in the rear. That seems to make more scene for me. any ideas?

And what does a racing clutch do really? Compared to the stock whats the improvements.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:49 PM
maoy

walshyfz86, dual speed is better for the track. Since the engine is not too strong, 2 speed allows quick acceleration & top speed. Single speed with the same final ratio will give you slower acceleration because you are basically running gear 2 the whole time from bottom to top end (the engine has to do more work). Same top speed but slower acceleration. I run single speed because I am running a big block engine so the engine has more than enough power to push any gear ratio. The single speed allows me to smoothen out the powerband of the engine rather than shred my transmission into pieces. Keep the 2 speed because you are running small block engines.

As far as the stiffness of the spring goes, I don't run track so I don't have much details on it (track racing). I try to setup the stiffness so that the car will have good rebound and response to road bumps which produces better traction. Yes, it is a good idea to run stiffer springs in the back because all the weights of the car are in the back.

When you say racing clutch, I think you mean centax clutch? I don't have much experience with centax clutch but from what I have heard, it allows you to more precisely adjust the contact point allowing for smoother or harder takeoff. It is better. I don't want to try it at the moment though. I will try it some day.

Otherwise, if you mean better clutch shoes such as the aluminum ones, I say it is definitely a great upgrade. It lasts longer and provides excellent grip as opposed to the teflon/stock ones. Also, you can pick a certain thickness for the clutch spring to adjust the contact point for takeoff. Thicker spring means harder takeoff while softer springs provide smoother takeoff.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:40 PM
maoy

Just wanted to update you guys with my ride. I am running a Werks .28 with RDLogics hi-torque pipe.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:00 AM
walshyfz86

looks good. flashlight is sweet!. how wide are those fronts? they look bigger then 26
Old 11-21-2008, 03:16 AM
maoy

I am running 1/8 scale mugen front foams. They are 38mm wide by 69mm or 70mm in diameter compared to 65mm diameter for 1/10 scale cars. Ohh, the flashlight is just there because I decided to run the car at night for a couple of days. The flashlight sucked because it was cheap and it didn't point down like I wanted. I was going to make LED lights but got bored of running the car at night so I stopped.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:34 PM
k20_94_dc
My Feedback: (2)

whats up guys is it possible to make our rs4 3 have a faster top speed thatn a 4tec 3.3 i have a buddy with one that like to talk smack about the rs4 and and id love to shut him up haha
Old 11-22-2008, 10:12 PM
Car-Tune

Put the cars on the track and see whos faster now
Old 11-22-2008, 11:51 PM
maoy

k20_94_dc, you can smoke him easily because you have a K20 in your 94 DC. That's some serious power, lol. I am trying to do that some day on an EK but the cost is too much. Down to business now, the 4tec is slow because it is heavy (it does go higher than the rs4 because it has a 3.3 engine and tall gear ratio). You can beat it in top speed and acceleration. If you are track racing, there is no need to do much, you can beat it easily because the RS4 handles better. If you want to beat it in top speed, you have to upgrade your engine and change the gears.

Just use the gear setup I listed on the previous page along with an Ofna JLR .12 or another good motor. You can smoke a 4tec. I don't mean to offend anybody but the RS4 is a better all around car. Also, if you do what I did and put a big block engine in it, you will have no problem smoking a 4tec. I am waiting for another month or two and I will throw in an onroad .21 engine. Either Orion .21 CRF REV, Picco p9r, or GRP .21 onroad. My car will surely fly by then. Have fun though, that's what the hobby is all about.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.