Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

OFFICIAL RS4 RTR 3 thread!!!!!!!Also type SS and others

Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

OFFICIAL RS4 RTR 3 thread!!!!!!!Also type SS and others

Old 02-13-2009, 09:00 AM
bumpnzx3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL RS4 RTR 3 thread!!!!!!!Also type SS and others

i changed it to a ball diff 6-8 tanks of fuel ago. it was fine for a little while- last tank is when it started acting screwy. the car is an evo+
Old 02-13-2009, 09:04 AM
Car-Tune

Ball?
Old 02-13-2009, 09:09 AM
bumpnzx3

smoother running (should be anyway- always has been in past cars of mine) and better power distribution. http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/A958/
Old 02-13-2009, 09:16 AM
Car-Tune

oh, a one way diff
Old 02-13-2009, 09:21 AM
bumpnzx3

nope- it's a ball diff, not a one-way. a ball diff is something like a slipper clutch in an electric pan car. the same pinion coming into the gearbox powers the spur gear. there is a plastic disk/cylinder that connects to the spur gear. the plastic disk has metal balls pressed into it. the metal outdrives are connected to the disk, via a bolt that goes through the entire assembly. you can adjust the amount of slip by how loose or tight the bolt is. you can almost create a locked diff if it's tight enough.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:27 AM
Car-Tune

when you bought that new part, are you using the big gear that it came with cus if you did... the teeth off of an 18ss (might have the same as your car) has less teeth than a regular rs4-3 and that might be the problem that your car is trying to spin the tires at two diffrent speeds so cheack the gears inside the diffs they may be off by a count
Old 02-13-2009, 09:40 AM
bumpnzx3

they are the same size. i noticed that the gear casting looked different when i was putting the ball diff together. i counted teeth on the drive side- and they were the same. i am sure something has came loose inside somehow or another. there's no other explanation since it was fine for several tanks of gas. i guess i will tear into it tonight. sometimes these little cars drive me more nuts than my full size project cars.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:38 PM
bumpnzx3

i figured out what the problem was tonight. the gear mesh was off- the pinion was being jammed too far into the diff housing, throwing the mesh off. the spur gear inside the diff housing was all jacked up. i also figured out what caused the incorrect mesh.....and it was me having a Marker's Mark on the rocks while doing the ball diff install. you will notice that there is one of those orange rubber o-rings on one of the gas tank mounts. well- when i had the car all apart to clean it and install the ball diff- i didn't put one of the orange o-rings on the tank mount. instead, i stuffed two of them on the transmission output towards the front diff. that resulted in the pinion jamming into far. ahh well- $6.50 for new parts and i should be good to go. called the hobby shop and they have what i need. i will be in there on wednesday to get the broken parts as well as a few other i ordered.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:48 PM
Car-Tune

Coo!
Old 02-14-2009, 08:25 AM
mkoresh12

The other thing about ball diffs is that they need adjustment from time to time. My electric I check after every 3-5 runs. Haven't used one on my nitro so I don't know how frequent you should check.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:17 PM
mkoresh12

Anyone use a starter box with their RS4? Any opinions on which one works the best with the RS4?
Old 02-18-2009, 06:20 AM
bobsp1

I use a starter box with my RS4 3+..I am using the Ofna chrome top box as it adapts to a right hand mounted engine. It is quite simply the best money that I have ever spent.
The starts are instant, maybe even quicker...the engine that I have seems to flame out a lot and the rotostarts where slow and frustrating, but now it's no dramas.
The Ofna chrome top is a bit old school in that it is direct drive and a tad heavy compared to new design boxes, but it is very sturdy and I don't see how it could possibly ever give problems as it is
so ruggedly built. You do have to assemble it yourself, but that is part of the fun.
Highly recommended, but I did have to taper out the edges of the flywheel hole in the chassis a little with a dremel to get a good contact with the drive wheel, but I do have the GPM chassis, but that only took a couple of minutes.
The part number is OFNA 10250 and the car has been used heaps since I bought it, knowing that when I go out, the engine will start instantly every time.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:10 PM
Allan Aguilar

Hey there ! ! !

I purchased a set of GPM adjustable suspension linkages a few days ago and everything have been installed. However I noticed that the ball linkages are a bit short when attached to the turnbuckles compared to my previous RPM heavy duty linkages. I just wanted to know if the GPM linkages would hold to the rigors of driving in the long run. I am also looking at changing the ball linkages a bit longer set, what will be the a better brand for me to use. Of course I still prefer to use the GPM turnbuckle. I just wanted to have a bulletproof suspension/steering linkages just like my 1/8th scale buggies where the linkages are connected using a ball linkage, allen head bolt & nut.

Any inputs will be appreciated.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:18 PM
bumpnzx3

i would stay clear of the gpm rod ends. one of mine (front left camber) broke after on a few tanks of fuel- the end result was a destroyed dog bone, axle cup (drives the wheel from the dog bone), and a chewed up final drive gear.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:31 AM
sanjeevraj

[img]hey can anyone tell me which header to get. i bought this online as a set. its a OStz standard shaft with a THS pipe. it came set up for a truggy is guess. the header shown is hitting the right rear tire.
i have been looking at the 2 HPI header, which do i get the shorter or longer one. HPI 86162 or 86163

i hope some one helps me out coz i am from malaysia and the support for hpi is you could say non existent down here so i need to get of the net. dont wanna be waiting for 2-3 weeks for the wrong stuff. [sm=bananahead.gif]

this is pipe http://rbmods.net/rbshop/index.php?t...&product_id=30

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFAZ8&P=M
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...6163&search=Go
Old 02-19-2009, 07:02 PM
nitrorevo

I have the long header for more low end, but either should work just fine.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:04 AM
Car-Tune

I use the short for a better fit
Old 02-20-2009, 12:28 AM
klums1904

I just bought a used RS4 RTR, and was wondering where I could get a manual or something that shows how to use glow plug and the roto start. New to nitro. Thanks
Old 02-20-2009, 01:05 AM
Car-Tune

HPI website under custumer serbvice.. instructions.. rs4-3 rtr

http://www.hpiracing.com/instructions/instruct-rtr3.htm
Old 02-20-2009, 07:48 AM
klums1904

Thanks alot
Old 02-20-2009, 07:48 AM
bumpnzx3

If it were me- I would buy the longer one and cut (read: tune) to my liking. Just a thought.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:58 AM
sanjeevraj

thanks guys
Old 02-20-2009, 06:17 PM
mkoresh12

ORIGINAL: bumpnzx3

i would stay clear of the gpm rod ends. one of mine (front left camber) broke after on a few tanks of fuel- the end result was a destroyed dog bone, axle cup (drives the wheel from the dog bone), and a chewed up final drive gear.
I have the GPM rod ends and haven't had any issues through one season of racing. With that being said, if you have the choice get the HPI ones or if you have the cash some other better brand(lunsford). The GPM got me through but I don't care for how they adjust and they just dont seem to be of very high quality. I only got them because the HPI ones were on backorder and I couldn't afford the more expensive ones at the time. I'm looking for new ones for the season coming up.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:21 PM
mkoresh12

ORIGINAL: bobsp1

I use a starter box with my RS4 3+..I am using the Ofna chrome top box as it adapts to a right hand mounted engine. It is quite simply the best money that I have ever spent.
The starts are instant, maybe even quicker...the engine that I have seems to flame out a lot and the rotostarts where slow and frustrating, but now it's no dramas.
The Ofna chrome top is a bit old school in that it is direct drive and a tad heavy compared to new design boxes, but it is very sturdy and I don't see how it could possibly ever give problems as it is
so ruggedly built. You do have to assemble it yourself, but that is part of the fun.
Highly recommended, but I did have to taper out the edges of the flywheel hole in the chassis a little with a dremel to get a good contact with the drive wheel, but I do have the GPM chassis, but that only took a couple of minutes.
The part number is OFNA 10250 and the car has been used heaps since I bought it, knowing that when I go out, the engine will start instantly every time.
Thanks, I was looking at an OFNA box. It appears their universal ones can all adjust to right hand side start. I'm glad you mentioned it because I forgot that many like the TC3 are on the other side. I think I'll be good with one of their universal boxes. Currently I'm looking at the 10257. It has a power panel that I don't care if I have or not but it comes with the Gel cell and Its on cell for a decent price right now.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:19 PM
bobsp1

Thats good mkoresh12, you will look back at how you used to start the car and wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
I was starting to lose interest in the car as it was annoying me having to mess around restarting all the time, but now I cant get out to run it often enough.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.