Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

OFFICIAL RS4 RTR 3 thread!!!!!!!Also type SS and others

Community
Search
Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

OFFICIAL RS4 RTR 3 thread!!!!!!!Also type SS and others

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 10:57 AM
Mhudsy171

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL RS4 RTR 3 thread!!!!!!!Also type SS and others

Hi, Might sound mad, but i was running my RS4 today and its fast, is it possible to fit the twin fibre discs off a savage onto this car? I hope i dont sound nooby but i think it will be mint if it was possible.

Your input will be useful or even if there are other ways of improving brake power.

Thanks
Old 06-09-2011, 11:15 AM
FastRS4s
My Feedback: (2)

You don't need dual pads, if you look alittle further up on the topic, you'll see that i had the same problem...once you start going past the 60mph mark the brakes seem to crap out...you can do either one of 2 things. The easiest and probably the cheapest way is to buy the fiber disc pad, which can be found: cgi.ebay.com/HPI-Fiberglass-Brake-Disc-EVO-HPI87160-/180671385088.
That fiber disc pad is 4mm thick, which is almost twice the size of the stock crappy plastic one in thickness.

Now another way you can improve your brake is what i did..i kinda went over board with it...first i got a new servo capable 5 times the amount of torque to the stock hpi one. (yea, thats overkill)...well, after a while, the brake disc (the stock plastic) would melt...so i took matters in my own hands and decided to make my own brake disc (I have a small machine shop at work) After i put that bad boy on, holy crap.. my brakes have been awesome ever since, no brake fade at all, i am pushing over 70mph in the evo now, and still have great brakes. I did order that fiber disc pad, but it took about 3 weeks to come in...before that i just made my own and havn't even bothered putting the fiber hpi one on.

Good luck on the upgrade...i would just try that fiber one and see how much improvment that gives you.

Tom

Old 06-09-2011, 11:16 AM
Lu_e

Here they are.

little dark but o well. Ran it yesterday and scraped the front a little. should be able to re-paint it then raise it, need to get some different body posts as these are cut and maxed out (up) in these pictures.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:21 AM
FastRS4s

Oh and BTW, if you still have the stock brake disc on there now and order the fiber one, do NOT order it from phils hobby shop on ebay....which is the link i gave you....thats the place that took 3 weeks to get it to me..and wouldn't anwser any of my qeustions i sent them muliple times....they had only responded after i threatened to contact ebay and paypay for a refund.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:27 AM
FastRS4s

Hey Lu_e, looks really nice, but i had a qeustion for you...first off, why do you still have that puny air filter still on there? Get the upgraded one!!! and second, the header on the motor, it looks like you had the same one as i did, if you take off the head from the motor you'll see that the flow it horrible in that pipe...if you have a dremel, port match it to the gasket...you'll get better flow thus giving more power and speed...but other then that she looks real clean!.

Tom
Old 06-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Mhudsy171

Thanks for the info, shall give it ago.

So i take it you CANT fit the twin discs?
Old 06-09-2011, 12:06 PM
FastRS4s

To be honest, i have never seen one done..though there could be guys that have but don't post it.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Fuel Crazy
My Feedback: (1)

I dont see how you could possibly do twin brake disks on a new gen RS4... i just dont see where there is any room for it.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:08 AM
FastRS4s

Yea..i was looking at my ride when i got home yesterday..and looking at it, with the stock servo trays, it wouldn't fit, but if you got a upper deck fro the after market, it could maybe fit....not worth it though.

But anyhow, i took some better pics of my trx 3.3 converted rs4 evo, the car rips like crazy now..

I was going to get a video of the car yesterday but my radio battery died on me...i'll get a video of it haulin ***** over the weekend...i need to clock it to....just gotta find a radar gun.

- Tom
Old 06-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Car-Tune

It's possible but the pads and brake have to be really thin. I tried using brake pads but were to thick. So I used the stock 18ss disk break along with Hellfire break springs instead of fuel hose
Old 06-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Fuel Crazy

Your car looks good. What spur gears are you using? Im about 90% done with the bigblock swap in mine, using one of my modded Hyper 21 8port's. Just need to get a pipe setup now, not sure what im gonna go with. Im using the 19/23 (red) pinions, and 41/37 spurs soon as they show up. Heres a couple pics. Mount setup is just temp until the OFNA adjustable mounts show up. Heres a couple pics, sorry they are a bit dark.. using my cellphone and i dont have a big dollar iphone or the like lol.

BTW as you can see, even with the carbon upper deck, i still dont see where you'd have the room to add a 2nd brake disk, unless you use 2 very thin disk's.. which would basicly be defeating the purpose id think.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:09 AM
FastRS4s

The big block looks real nice, what ofna mounts are you using?

As for my spurs, right now i have a 39/43 on there now with the red pinion gears..I do have a 37/41 combo, but its such a pain in the ass to align the trx i decided to leave the 39/43 in there now.. The only thing i am needing to change is the widtth of the rear tires. i can't find those 44mm form tires anywhere, everyones out of stock.. Are you upgrading to foam...i would think you need to really....your just going to spin those rubbers like crazy with that big block in there.

Btw, have you heard about the performance gains with this tandum head the rb mods makes for the trx 3.3.....i am curious on what temp that runs at...cause the head isn't very big at all....

-Tom
Old 06-13-2011, 03:15 AM
FastRS4s

Oh and another thing fuel crazy, i'd replace that fuel tank with one from a hpi rs4 racer. it gets rid of that leaking primer, plus it has the fuel outlet sticking up so you have no chance of having the tube hitting the pinions...but i do see you zip tied it in place...but anyhow, i just replaced mine this weekend as i found out the tank wasn't sealing on the top and blowing out fuel..(which you can see on the air filter in one of my pics)not to mension the tuning wasn't the greatest....after replacing the tank, the tuning stayed pretty good..
Old 06-13-2011, 04:57 AM
Fuel Crazy

Yes i plan to upgrade to foams IF i can find the GPR 44mm foams as well. If not, im probably gonna either have them custom made, or just try the 30mm hpi slicks as i do have my own prepped test track in front of my property (i mainly do drag racing with my onroad rc's)

The OFNA mounts ill be using are for the CD3. I have not had any problems at all with this tank. Its perfectly sealed up. Only time i get leakage is when filling it while its running. If this tank starts leaking, i will just switch to a sullivan/dubro tank like i use in my Firestorm. Just different way of filling instead of lifting lid using bottle. And yea i ziptie the fuel line down as i did have the pinions try to chew it up. Poor designing on HPI's part thats for sure.

I have not read too much about the stuff for the TRX motor from RBMods, but ive been thinking about building up a 3.3 as they are relatively cheap. But ill have to wait til i destroy all my Hyper's first lol.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55083.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	1622719  
Old 06-13-2011, 05:03 AM
FastRS4s

i was lucky cause i got this trx 3.3 for 25 bucks...lol...the guy selling it didn't know much about nitros, cause he bought a 4-tec 10 days before with this motor, well, he was running 33% nitro and he basicly wore out the clutch....the hobby shop sold him a new motor and clutch....i was like ***...all you needed is a clutch..but hey, i got it for 25 bucks..lol, thats why i put it in.....i am still looking for a decent big block but looking at all the upgrade parts for the trx 3.3..i might stick to it..well see.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:06 AM
Fuel Crazy

btw heres updated pics of the car for this thread.... i intended on wanting the pipe on the right side as original, but there was no way for it to fit with the body i use, but it actually worked out perfect moving it to the left, helping to offset some of the extra weight of the bigblock in the car. Will be moving battery to the center behind the frontend to move a bit more weight foward as well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57726.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	1622753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63511.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	1622754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75380.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	1622755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm29794.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1622756  
Old 06-13-2011, 05:21 AM
Car-Tune

What a beast.

Fuel Crazy... What is it you use ing the track to get a better grip?
Old 06-13-2011, 05:31 AM
Fuel Crazy

VHT trackbite.. around $30 a gallon. You have to keep on it for it to stay sticky, and theres tricks you can do for it like spreading resin, and of course rubber & heat. Not something i recommend anyone do if they cant do it on your property, or in an area nobody cares...

Maple syrup also works real well..and washes away easily.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:34 AM
Car-Tune

There some stuff out there called sticky kicks. This is added to the tires and makes better grip. Wonder if its any good.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:36 AM
Fuel Crazy

anything you can put on your tires that does make them stickier is good...but when you are only putting it on your tires, it does not last long. Of course, for road racing and what not, thats fine... drag racing, it works too but having the ground very sticky for a good distance is alot better then not. Of course, the road being clean is equally important to getting traction.

luckily i live in the middle of nowhere..so nobody cares. And im actually doing the road a favor as it seals the pavement. I have another spot about a mile away on private airstrip i get to use for testing my 1:1 scale cars.. have broke quite a few axles out there

Old 06-13-2011, 05:38 AM
Car-Tune

The bad thing that the RS4s pull to the right when launching quick.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:45 AM
Fuel Crazy

thats all in suspension and diff tuning. Thats why it can be quite harder to drag race a suspended car vs the solid drag cars as you have alot more variables with the suspended car wanting to twist and do everything it wants. Takes alot of tweaking. This is mainly the reason i started messing with the RS4 again, as my Firestorm has been giving me a fit to consistently go straight. And its alot harder to control, being 2wd on slicks with a spool'd rear.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:03 AM
Car-Tune

What would need to be done?
Old 06-13-2011, 06:06 AM
Fuel Crazy

when the car launches, you need to watch the suspension best you can to see what its doing. Thats why the shocks/struts are usually adjustable so you can adjust preload at all 4 corners. First thing is making sure all your arms and everything are the same length so the suspension is the same left and right.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:31 AM
GALAXY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I should have some 30% Speed Blend in a week or two!! They're finally putting in a fuel order at the LHS and said they would get get it in.Then I'll be able to break in the OS .18 CV-R I've had around for 3 years,haha.

In the meantime I've been screwing around with little dress up parts,I got the HPI intercooler/muffler set and have been playing with the mounting of those and making intercooler piping.I also ordered an Evo X body that should be here Friday and I'll have to end up getting some new wheels and tires to go with that.

I'll try to get some pics in the next few days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.