Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

OFFICIAL RS4 RTR 3 thread!!!!!!!Also type SS and others

Community
Search
Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

OFFICIAL RS4 RTR 3 thread!!!!!!!Also type SS and others

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 12:59 AM
otterball21
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OFFICIAL RS4 RTR 3 thread!!!!!!!Also type SS and others

Definitely has sniffing too much nitro...... I dumped my nitrous oxide money into Nitro RC cars.. :-\ betta be worth it! .. or grrrrrrrr!
Old 07-07-2003, 01:11 AM
gmac4826

my cars are worth their weight in gold for all the stuff ive bought for them.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:56 AM
Allan Aguilar

Needed a psychiatrist......
Old 07-07-2003, 02:47 AM
gmac4826

no, not needED. need, not past tense present.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:29 PM
Aggdaddy

Default Slide carb linkage and stuff.

Has anybody installed a slide carb on their rs4 3? Does it work or did you have to make any mods?

How about engine, you guys that has changed over to a no-pull start engine, what motor mounts have you used and does it fit well? My exhaust pipe with stock exhaust manifold rubs against the chassis. Not good.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:00 PM
gmac4826

you shopuld get this pipe and manifold:

http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...ductID=DYN6608

the stock stuff is crap like many other things on the rs4. on the dynamite products page i think the polished one will fit your car.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:03 PM
Aggdaddy

That manifold doesn't look like it will fit a side -ehaust system on the rs4 3.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:16 PM
gmac4826

that is built FOR the side exhaust and the rs4. and all other hpi cars with side exhaust. anyway for your non pull start there si a mount you can buy but i cant seem to find it right now. ill post a link if i do find it.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:26 PM
Aggdaddy

the rs4 3 engine is on the otherside of the chassis as opposed to a previous edition rs4. Look at the link that you posted and visualize the way that that will have to fit. It won't fit onto an rs4 3 chassis. There aren't many if any aftermarket side-exhaust manifolds for the nitro RS4 3 that I have seen.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:46 PM
Rex2342

Aggdaddy is right the Rs4 3 chassis is setup reallt strange compared to alot of others.I've had a few different tuned pipes on mine andthe pressure fitting is alway up side down on the pipe.Get the THS pipe/header set that was designed for the Rs4 3 and you won't be disapointed.I have it on mine and it's the best pipe i've had and if fit right so I didn't have to modifie anything.

Aggdaddy......
I have a slide carb on my Rs4 3 SS and I had to buy the slide linkage kit from HPI and I had to turn the carb a little bit to make it work right i'll post a pic in a minute so you can see what I mean.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:51 PM
Aggdaddy

Originally posted by Rex2342
Aggdaddy is right the Rs4 3 chassis is setup reallt strange compared to alot of others.I've had a few different tuned pipes on mine andthe pressure fitting is alway up side down on the pipe.Get the THS pipe/header set that was designed for the Rs4 3 and you won't be disapointed.I have it on mine and it's the best pipe i've had and if fit right so I didn't have to modifie anything.

Aggdaddy......
I have a slide carb on my Rs4 3 SS and I had to buy the slide linkage kit from HPI and I had to turn the carb a little bit to make it work right i'll post a pic in a minute so you can see what I mean.
cool .. thanks for the info. Actually I used that little plastic piece that HPI suggested in the manual but I turned my throttle servo around to get a more direct push/pull effect onto the slide carb throttle. But I had to custom bend a piece of piano wire for the brake linkage. Hpi manual sucks in this regard.

THS pipe header? Is that available through Tower Hobbies?
Old 07-07-2003, 02:55 PM
Rex2342

Yeah the brake linkage sucks but it works...not well...but it works.I was gonna bend mine to make it work better but I have gotten to it yet.The THS pipe/header set is available from tower.I ordered mine from Ebay because tower was taking to long to get them back in stock but they are awesome
Old 07-07-2003, 02:58 PM
Rex2342

Heres the THS setup on mine...
Old 07-07-2003, 03:19 PM
Aggdaddy

That looks cool dude. One question though, doesn't brake linkage bind with the throttle linkage? It looks like your collar could get in the way. I see that you are using pullstart, which brings your engine and manifold up a little higher. I'm using non-pullstart engine mounts. Doesn't fit as well. Anyway how does it handle? We have short twisty tracks in Houston, texas. Mine doesn't handle too well with rubber tires.
Old 07-07-2003, 04:25 PM
Rex2342

The linkage was binding pretty bad when I first put it on but after I turned the carb sideways a bit it stopped.Whenever I would hit WOT throttle it would put the brake on but after some tweaking I got that to stop too.I'm still gonna try bending the linkage a bit but I haven't gotten around to it yet.As far as the cars ahndling...well...I haven't raced it because there are NO tracks around here but I practice by going it and out of parking lot spaces at high speed and it handles very well.The back end like to kick out a bit but I think it's more my driving style than the cars setup.I also have trouble keeping tires for longer than 2 hours...lol...I think i'm gonna try some hard foam tires and see if maybe they'll last a little longer because i've tried everything else.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:08 PM
Aggdaddy

My back end kicks out alot too. Especially when you are trying to put the power down. I'm going to try some foams later on this week. The only tires that I have found to give a descent grip are super radials with medium foams all around. But I have one more combination to try before going to foams. It worked very well on my hpi super nitro. 27r's slicks, hard in the front and soft inserts in the rear. Can't believe that I didn't try that first.

The only reason why I am so reluctant to foam is because I just don't know that much about them, and I refuse to believe that I can't get a rubber tire setup to work for me..

I'm using a lotus elise 2000 body, SO I should be getting plenty of rearward downforce.

Fiber brakes, works wonders compared to the stock plastic.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:30 PM
gmac4826

foam tires get good traction but they are expensive and they wear out real fast. 2 races maybe
Old 07-08-2003, 05:12 PM
Rex2342

Does anyone have a problem with the car kicking sideways when it shifts into second gear or when it hits full speed?Sometimes my car kicks out or spins out when second engages but not all the time.I've tried adjusting the set screw to keep it from shifting at higher rpm and it helped but it still does it sometimes.When the car reaches full speed after several high speed pass's it becomes really unstable and spins out.I think it's because of the tires getting to hot or wearing down but it's really annoying.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:44 PM
Aggdaddy

I would say tires and/or camber. Mine only kicks out when I give it too much triigger during a turn, but once its straight .. I'm gone. :-)
Old 07-08-2003, 07:34 PM
Rex2342

When i'm turning the car is solid but at high speed it is a little unstable.I'm running -1 degree camber in the rear and -2 in the front.With brand new tires the car is awsome but after a little run time it starts spinning and sliding.I think I just really need to find a set of tires that last.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:07 PM
Aggdaddy

Unstable at high speeds? Sounds like you need to check your shock oil or put some heavier shock oil in. Tires might be a factor too. If you havee one of those radios where you can adjust the steering, set it for negative exponential. Take a little of that edgy, darty steering out. Helps extremely, at high speeds.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:34 PM
Rex2342

I've done that with the radio.I'm using 25wt shock oil all the way around but the car handles great but going straight at high speed is where it gets shakey.The back tires are looseing traction for some reason and the whole car spins out.I think it;s the back tires because of the wear on the rear tires,they wear out faster than the front ones do.I was just ruuning it on my backstreet and it was fine at high speed but my tires are brand new.After the tires wear a bit is when the problem starts.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:51 PM
Aggdaddy

Try a 40wt or better all around. What kind of tires, inserts are u using? Also what kind of pavement?
Old 07-08-2003, 10:16 PM
GALAXY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use 40 in the front and 30 in the rear with the 1 degree toe....runs fine at high speed.Yours sounds like the tires,I rotate mine front to back every few tanks and seems to wear a lil more even but those damn back ones get chewed up....my guess is because of the toe in and added weight in the back.You could get a balancer
I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the fuel line coming out of the bottom of the tank,as in where to route it.I ran it back to the front between the handle and tank mount post laying on the chassis...this worked for quite awhile but the other day it bounced up in the gears and wore a lil groove in it.It never leaked that I could see but there was fuel everywhere on the chassis so I decided to turn the tank around...then I thought that might starve it for fuel at the end of the tank.....Hmmmmmmm.Anyone have any thoughs on that?
Old 07-08-2003, 11:59 PM
Rex2342

I'll try a thicker oil and the i've tried several different tires/inserts but they all wear out FAST and they all have the same problem with spinning out at high speen.I've been looking for a better place to run because the place I go to now is asphault and it's not the smoothest surface to run on.

Galaxy,
I put a little ring of fuel tubing around the outlet on the tank to keep it from slipping off and put a little dab of Shoe Goo on the chassis to keep the fuel line from rubbing the gears and secured the upper part with a zip tie just for good measure and it's been working great.I had the same problem with gears chewing holes in the fuel line and this is the only way I've found to keep it from happening.I'll try and post a pic later on to show you better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.