Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

HPI RS4 3 Evo vs Team Magic G4JR

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 09:18 PM
kevinrx8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI RS4 3 Evo vs Team Magic G4JR

im on the market for a new car. its either gonna be the rs4 3 or the g4jr.. wat do u guys think, which one would i be better off with? money is not an issue, just want something good, between the 2 that is. thanks in advance
Old 05-11-2009, 09:36 PM
Doonagoowin

Default RE: HPI RS4 3 Evo vs Team Magic G4JR

Seems the Team Magic is built for the racing crowd.

What do you want to do with it? And where do you plan on running it?
Old 05-12-2009, 03:36 AM
locksmack

Lucky for you I happen to have both.

I started with the HPI and for a beginner car, it is great! It is very fast for a RTR and handles good. Depending on which model you get the roto start is annoying but you can live with it.

After racing my HPI for a few months I decided it was time to get a more race bread car. I picked up the TM G4 and I am EXTREMELY happy with it. It handles like it is on rails (quite a bit better than the HPI), is completely adjustable (something the HPI is not) and very quick (about on par with the HPI using the stock RTR engine - I plan on replacing this).

For durability, I have to go with the TM. The HPI was great and all but I found the slightest knock would snap something, which ended up costing me quite a bit in parts. So far my TM has only broke 1 piece (a hub) after a big crash, otherwise it is very sturdy.

To me all it comes down to is where you race. If you will be on a track all the time get the TM - if you will only be on the road and in carparks, get the HPI.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:33 AM
aizenbelle

HPI RS4 EVO is a great car for a beginner, it is basher, this car will take a beating and it will still go. if you are interested in a racing machine than I suggest the Team Magic G4+EvO or wait a bit for the G4II. Now if you have the money to spare get a Kyosho RRR or Xray NT1. but like someone else said, what are your plans? do you wish to have a little asphalt fun or are you thinking about racing in a track?
Old 05-12-2009, 10:09 AM
kevinrx8

thanks for the response guys.. pretty much im just looking for some road fun and parking lot fun lol.. i wish i was able to race but dont even know if they have that in my area.. i like wat locksmack said about the durability of the TM, which is a good thing.. do you guys think a TM might be too much for just some road fun??
Old 05-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Cypriot Boy

well no since we are talking about the g4jr. the tm car(g4jr) is built for inexperienced people and should suit you
Old 05-12-2009, 01:39 PM
aizenbelle

ORIGINAL: Cypriot Boy

well no since we are talking about the g4jr. the tm car(g4jr) is built for inexperienced people and should suit you
I must agree with what Cypriot said. but remember you will need a Starter box for the TM G4. I would not buy a new RS4 I would try to get one used because those care depreciate in value really fast.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:02 PM
olkleaf

http://www.jacksonrcracing.com/
here is a track in NJ
also look on http://roarracing.com/region2.php to see if thier is a track near by

i drive a little under an hour to get to the track i go to. 100% worth it for a day of fun.

also yes if money isnt a factor buy a top end car like the kyosho vone rrr evo2. i drive this car, very good.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:16 PM
kevinrx8

yeah the TM cars look like u can do a lot of hopup's to it. and sorry guys i meant to say money not an issue between the two.. if money wasnt a issue at all i would def. go with some high end car. okleaf, how is the track are people a-holes if ur a beginner?
Old 05-12-2009, 07:39 PM
olkleaf

ORIGINAL: kevinrx8

yeah the TM cars look like u can do a lot of hopup's to it. and sorry guys i meant to say money not an issue between the two.. if money wasnt a issue at all i would def. go with some high end car. okleaf, how is the track are people a-holes if ur a beginner?
well i dont go to this track but im also a bigginer.
at my track people are very nice to beginners. they will help with your car and just about anything you ask for they will help you with(if its with your set up, tips about driving, trueing your tires, ect.).
ussaly people are very happy to see someone new entering the hobby.

just make sure that onece you get on the track to be respectful of other drivers (not crashing into them), and stay on the out side of the track when the fast guys come around.

also advise you contact the people there and ask what shore tires you should bring and a good starting point for a setup. ask them what ever other question you may have

if you do diside to look it to racing ( if i were you i definatly would) i would go with the team magic car, specialy sence it upgrable to a high end car
Old 05-12-2009, 09:25 PM
locksmack

About the durability I mentioned-

The TM is more durable overall than the HPI (in my opinion) but I don't know if I would be running a belt driven car in carparks and the like. They are usually better suited to a groomed track (less dirt, rocks).

That being said, it is easier to replace belts and pulleys than it is to replace suspension arms and cup joints that likely break on the HPI.

You can upgrade a lot of the plastic parts of the HPI to aluminium which could help with the durability, so you then get a durable car with shaft drive - perfect for carparks.

But if I were making the decision, I would definitely get the TM. Replacing a belt here and there is no biggy, just make sure you have lots of spares.

Tis a shame you arent in Aus because I would have sold you my HPI that I currently have listed here http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=tab%3DSelling
Old 05-12-2009, 10:12 PM
aizenbelle

your best best is to get a Team Magic if you are thinking about going to the track, usually racers are glad to C new comers . If you decide to buy the HPI I do not recommend the aluminum upgrades because they scratch and bend easily upon impact. Do a little research about a track near you it is always worth going to a track (lots of fun) it could be intimidating at first but by your third and fourth date you should feel much more comfortable.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:04 PM
kevinrx8

thanks guys, im prob gonna go check that track out in jackson some time soon.. maybe just to spectate first lol.. see wat goes on out there.. ima do a little more research though and make my final decision, the point u guys made are all good
Old 05-13-2009, 04:59 PM
aizenbelle

we are here to help each other out.