Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

thunder tiger TS4N racing

Old 07-18-2009, 04:05 PM
reeve1987

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thunder tiger TS4N racing

hey everyone. im still playing with my thunder tiger TS4N and was wondering what the most powerful .12 engine is available to fit into it and where to get the best hop-ups for the lil runner. hoping to make it into a competitor for nitro races in its class.

once i have my new shell with its headlamps tail lights and neons installed i'll upload a few pics. probably be saturday 1st that my new shell arrives and a week later when my neons arrive.

for what i've read elsewhere the TS4N are great runners and have loads of upgrades available i just cant find them. its got all stock parts at the moment and would do with a nice list (if someone gets bored enouh) of parts to upgrade in order of where to start? i know thats probably alot to ask but it would be so much help!

thank you all in advance.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:09 PM
reeve1987

Default RE: thunder tiger TS4N racing

oh im british and new to the world of nitro upgrades so please bear with any stupid questions.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:40 PM
authorjim1

I'm sure you will get various opinions on this but if you really meant the most powerful, best, money no object , go NovaRossi.

Jim
Old 07-19-2009, 08:25 AM
reeve1987

actually i've heard alot of good things about novarossi engines. apparently work very well and sound great? however the stock parts....could they handlea rossi engine? i fnot which parts would need to be upgraded?
Old 07-19-2009, 08:56 AM
reeve1987

could someone possibly gimme a hint as to a good novarossi model number? lol been looking on thier website to get some information on thier engines and well......confused! lmao
Old 07-19-2009, 10:54 AM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to be competitive at the track then a new powerful engine is possibly the WORST thing to do!

More power often doesn't equal faster lap times - practice and a well set-up car does I'm not saying you shouldn't buy a new engine for it, but if the stock mill is running ok then I recommend you stick with that for the moment.
It'll get you used to tuning, setting the car up for the track and will provide plenty of power for when you're starting out.

Most of the stock parts aren't bad, but a few upgrades I would recommend are the Fibre Brake disk (PD1307), Titanium Pivot balls (PD0913), 2-Speed if it's not already fitted and of course lots of spare parts and a few sets of good tyres. A good 2.4ghz radio down the line would also be a great investment.

You may also not be able to run a shell with lighting in a race, so a relatively aerodynamic shell (Stratus, Mazda 6 etc) might be required as well.

And now I've said all that here's my Novarossi .12 powered TS-4. Hardly a stock part on it these days other than the A-arms. Haven't ever raced it competitively but it is rather rapid

Old 07-19-2009, 11:27 AM
reeve1987

oh the lights (apart from headlights) are just for show. the reason im thinking of swapping out the engine is the car is second hand. a year old been used once. dont know how long for but the original owner says he brought it for £260 and brought it as a toy. i do know he doesnt know anything about nitro cars and probably just threw fuel in the tank and started using it without breakin in the engine. so im a little concerned about microfracture damage and other damages caused by not breaking in the engine right. i dont know of any race tracks for nitro cars in my area so have brought loads of cones and use them to lay out a make shift track to train on. i will look into the uprades you have listed already though.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:29 AM
reeve1987

these are the wheels and tires in swapping stock out with btw

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...lenotsupported
Old 07-19-2009, 11:36 AM
reeve1987

also i was thinking about installing an exhaust gas cooler. they are about £20, think it'll make a noticable difference on the stock engine?
Old 07-20-2009, 10:14 AM
reeve1987

ok so where to get a ally tranny for a TS4N? also any thoughts on the exhaust as cooler?
Old 07-20-2009, 11:28 AM
snowbl!nd

Exhaust gas cooler = waste of money
Old 07-20-2009, 11:31 AM
reeve1987

well that settles that. to be honest i didnt think that fuel consumption ~ weight ration would be very favorable in a car this size.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:39 AM
reeve1987

so erm, how easy are the throttle linkages to break on TS4N's?
Old 07-21-2009, 05:18 AM
snowbl!nd

Not very I'd have thought - they're pretty solid in my experience. In fact I think the throttle/brake linkage is one of the few things I haven't broken over the years.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:21 AM
reeve1987

ok so i was running my thundertiger TS4N and if i apply the brake for more than a few seconds the engine dies. i've tried adjusting the lsn and couldnt get the buger to start so reset it back to what it was. also theres a fair amount of smoke and tried making adjustments but engine is so sensitive the slightest adjustment makes starting and maintaining idle a pain in the ass. i will upload a video latre on youtube and post a link so you can see the smoke. and pass comment on it.

any ideas about braking issue?
Old 07-21-2009, 09:20 AM
snowbl!nd

The idle adjustment screw (not LSN - it's the one with the spring around it's base) may be backed out too far causing the carb to close under braking. Without the engine running remove the air filter and look down the carb while working the throttle/brake - you should see the barrel open completely when full throttle is applied, and close back to about 1mm at idle. Ideally it shouldn't close any further when the brakes are applied.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:02 AM
reeve1987

hey ok thats perfect. was further out that i realized as i did try that and it made no difference. technical dumb me (usualy pretty good) didnt think to keep trying till it stopped it from moving.

anyway the problem now is that when its started the car is pulling and can move without controller input. i spent a few minutes trying lsn and hpn (lsn first) and well it took 20 minutes to get the bugger to run again lol.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:04 AM
snowbl!nd

How big is the carb opening at idle & brake now? Can you take a pic?
Old 07-21-2009, 10:12 AM
reeve1987

yeah sure gimmea few minutes and i'll post a couple of pics. i'll warn you the entire thing needs a clean but im waiting on a nitro cleaner can thingy to arrive.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:26 AM
reeve1987

heres the pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34342.jpg
Views:	2115
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	1241114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57216.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1241115  
Old 07-21-2009, 10:32 AM
reeve1987

fixed it. idle carb opening was to wide. lol now using the trims on remote control to set idle perfect snowblind ur legend
Old 07-21-2009, 11:19 AM
snowbl!nd

Pfft that's not dirty! Ideally you want to set the idle with the screw and linkage instead of the trims on the transmitter as braking will cause the gap to close further and could stall it out
Old 07-21-2009, 11:36 AM
reeve1987

not dirty? lmao. well i just finished off ma tank of fuel and during the run clipped the curb nose dive and air spin. fun but thinking oh holy crap! and had to change a set of wheels as tires weren't glued lmao. tractions was pulling tires off. WOOT. anyway i think i got it tuned up quite nicely. im going to post a video on youtube about 8pm and link it to this thread.for a second hand car off ebay it seems in pretty good nick.

p.s the crash isnt in the video as dude recording it distracted me after he turned off recording lol. anyways laters! oh i'll upload better pics once i have it cleaned off with new shell lights and wheels.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:18 PM
reeve1987

oh hey havent seen anything on this anywhere else so thought i might ask. is it possible to improove braking? apart from fibre disks of course.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:32 PM
snowbl!nd

Keep the disk & pads clean and the linkage adjusted properly and it'll provide more than enough braking - even with the stock servo.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.