Search
Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

looking to get into on road cars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 05:15 PM
jatoracing33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: looking to get into on road cars?

ORIGINAL: Argess

ORIGINAL: bigdogkanicsar

the associated NTC3 is what i have but it's a version1 ,now the version 2 is pretty nice. also and not sure if others will agree but the HPI nitro RS4 3 EVO+ in my opinion handles beautifully and has a slew of option parts available from just about everywhere. the NTC3 has a lot of replacment parts available for it. as far as everything else it sometimes takes a little huntin' to find the parts.

so, how fast are you lookin' to go anyway?

both are shaft driven so no pebbles caught in the belts,lol.
We have one of each. An older NTC3 and a RS4 3 18SS. The HPI car is made with sturdier looking parts and is likely a stronger car if you like bashing as accidents do happen. The NTC3 is lighter and I'd think more suited to racing than the HPI. I like the fact both are shaft drive. I'm not a fan of belts for a variety of reasons I won't mention as it always seems to start an arguement...LOL. I'm not a fan of ball differentials either, but the NTC3 ones have held up for many, many hours without even needing adjustment, so that shouldn't be a worry. My HPI kit came with update instructions about not using a spring in the front differential. In the end, I had to install the spring to get decent cornering. And take the carb insert out of the NTC3. It might be useful on a short race track, but for parking lot bashing, you don't want it in there.

Not sure about the latest NTC3, but be careful if you buy a RTR. Better to get the Factory Team version as you will want the upgrades for your RTR that come standard with the Factory Team car.

I find on-road bashing gets a little tiresome after the intial few sessions. Off-road seems to hold the fun factor better. The answer to this is to get involved in on-road racing. Unfortunately, there isn't any racing groups in my area at this time.

Two drawbacks for on-road are:

1/ Tires wear out at an incredible rate. The cost adds up. I use foams now as they seem to last quite a bit longer.

2/ You need a nice clean asphalt surface. Sunday Shopping has made finding a parking lot more difficult. Schools parking lots are an option, but it's not infrequent to find weekend events going on that won't allow you to use the parking lot.

Drawbacks aside, I really like on-road cars. Just wish there were others around to race with.

You have a point about losing interest, but I do believve my LHS holds weekend races every now and then, so that shouldnt be an issue. As far as RTR vs. kit, I would like to get the kit, but depending on money I might just get the RTR. I can just upgrade as things break.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:30 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: jatoracing33
You have a point about losing interest, but I do believve my LHS holds weekend races every now and then, so that shouldnt be an issue. As far as RTR vs. kit, I would like to get the kit, but depending on money I might just get the RTR. I can just upgrade as things break.
RTR's don't stay that way very long. Nothing wrong with an RTR. Upgrades can be fun! Kits are cool too. My biggest problem with kits is knowing for sure what exgra stuff I need. An engine and radio gear can be obvious, but are all the clutch parts included?.....stuff like that.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:06 PM
jatoracing33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Argess

ORIGINAL: jatoracing33
RTR's don't stay that way very long. Nothing wrong with an RTR. Upgrades can be fun! Kits are cool too. My biggest problem with kits is knowing for sure what exgra stuff I need. An engine and radio gear can be obvious, but are all the clutch parts included?.....stuff like that.

not only that, but which brand and model of which part, almost as if there are too many choices. i also dont want to spend too much money on a kit that i am just going to bash around. granted, if i could get a job, then money shouldnt be an issue. i just dont want to rush into this. granted, i love my jato, its a fast little thing, but i couldve done better.