madtruck1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Hpi nitro rs4

Hey guys, i was just wondering what kind of engine would fit in a hpi super nitro. what would be the best? what kind of other up grades besides these-

an all aluminum bottom chassis plate, billet alum. front and rear lower control arms, billet alum. front upper shock mounts, oil filled upgraded shocks, billet alum. steering knuckles, billet alum. flywheel/clutch assy., aftermarket billet head, billet drive belt pulleys, front and rear sway bars brand new fatty HPI rear wheels and tires, and smaller, skinnier front wheels with new tires, alum. race pipe assy, JR Racing XR2 Digital radio and receiver, has 1 HPI servo, and 1 upgraded Futaba servo.

the guy i got it from said he traded for it the other guy put a lot money in to, he also said it had a .18 or .21 in it but it looks like a .15. any recomendations would be helpfull. this thing runs great. the tire the guy put on it were uguly so i put on some dynamite wheeles which are really nice and cheap.also was looking to upgrade to 2 speed transmission.thanks for any advice.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:22 PM
Argess

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Hpi nitro rs4

I would like to know too. The 18SS engine in mine needs replacement, and I'm not very savvy about small blocks as I do mostly MT and buggy bashing.

I was thinking of the O.S. 18TZ-TX ABC Turbo w/11L Rotary Carb, but it's a little pricey. Pull-start (so I can convert to Tiger-Drive) and a rotary carb (so I dont' have to fabricate weird linkages) are a requirement.

What about a Associated Z.18S Pro Spec 2 ?

Here's what happened to my engine.....mouonting tab braoke away. No crash either....puzzling:

Old 06-14-2010, 03:22 PM
madtruck1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ya i just got mine about a week ago and finally tried to get i running this weekend, and suer enough it fired right up. right now igot a front belt on order and also trying to bid on some spare parts on ebay. great little car, will try to upload some pics later. will also need to get a body.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Argess

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There must be changes I wasn't aware of. Mine is shaft drive and I see a newer 18SS engine on e-bay, but it mounts from the bottom of the block instead of the mounting tabs. In fact, the mounting tabs arn't even drilled, and look to short to drill anyway. I wonder if these tabs were a problem with the older 18SS engines......

It's a fun car. I race (bash really) with my son. He has a NTC3. I need a decent engine as the RS4 is heavier and I need to keep up !
Old 06-14-2010, 03:30 PM
madtruck1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

my hpi .15 mounts from the bottom and the sides. im thinking about buying a used .18 to put in mine.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:59 PM
bigdogkanicsar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

unfortunately the super nitro has been discontinued for a few years. as for argess's shaft driven it might be a converted super nitro rally which is also discontinued.
when it comes to parts
http://www.rcplanet.com/RS4_Super_Nitro_s/1002.htm rs4 super nitro and super nitro rally
not all are for this car but there are alot for these cars
as for engines you can go with just about any small block, if you decide to go with a big block you will have to modify mounting and/or clutches, flywheel, etc........
Old 06-14-2010, 06:15 PM
madtruck1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

can i find a 2 speed anywhere or any one that fits?
Old 06-14-2010, 11:29 PM
bigdogkanicsar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

if i'm not mistaken the 2 speed from the nitro rs4 original or rs4 2 will fit.
http://www.megatech.com/hpi_nitro_rs4.html
Old 06-15-2010, 07:01 AM
madtruck1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

are you talking about the $173 one? any other ones that are cheaper or possibly a used one?
Old 06-15-2010, 08:52 AM
bigdogkanicsar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i'm not absolutly posative ,but the super nitro rs4 and the nitro rs4 had the same tranny i think. definitely geta couple of opinions on this. as for cheaper i would scout the internet and check ebay.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:02 AM
madtruck1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks!
Old 06-16-2010, 04:19 PM
madtruck1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: bigdogkanicsar

i'm not absolutly posative ,but the super nitro rs4 and the nitro rs4 had the same tranny i think. definitely geta couple of opinions on this. as for cheaper i would scout the internet and check ebay.

would the 2 speed from the rs4 3 fit it or would there have to be modifications?
Old 06-26-2010, 09:07 PM
MatJam

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think you'd have to do some serious modifications and buy a bunch of hard to find parts to get a RS4-3 two speed to work in a SNRS4; there's a few shared parts, but they're not all shared between the two.
I think this one will work from the RS4 racer http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...1#ht_781wt_913

For engines, any small block (.12 to .18) size should fit without modification; but it sounds like you have the old .15FE engine with the mounts on the bottom built into the block. You will need engine mounts too, if you don't already have them. The purple parts in Argess's pics are what you'll need, or something like them.

I'd say Argess has the RS4-3 18ss and not a SNRS4 like you, which is why its shaft drive instead of belt.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:57 PM
Argess

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: MatJam
For engines, any small block (.12 to .18) size should fit without modification; but it sounds like you have the old .15FE engine with the mounts on the bottom built into the block. You will need engine mounts too, if you don't already have them. The purple parts in Argess's pics are what you'll need, or something like them.

I'd say Argess has the RS4-3 18ss and not a SNRS4 like you, which is why its shaft drive instead of belt.
Yes, mine is the RS4-3 18SS. Those purple engine mounts are HPI 86045 :

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCLR3&P=7
Old 07-06-2010, 09:36 PM
Domb1972

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Go to HPI Racing .com click on engine exchange you send them that 18 and 70 bucks and they will send you a brand new in the box T3.0!!! Thats what I did ofcorse I also purchased the 2 speed set up

Dom

Old 12-27-2010, 10:21 AM
cudacharger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a few of my Super nitros running RS4 gearing (and several other mods)....the cars fly...I need to check my paper work and see what exact bell housing teeth, first and second gear ratio's and get back to you. I have so many of these cars it's hard to recall which car has what anymore.

If you do the project correct depending on your goal of what you want the car to do and perform.....you can get these car's top speed to 80 mph plus easy but then controllability and surface conditions come into play. The car in question is the Toyota Ts020 GT one in the pic below...the Porsche 962 is geared differently but moves really good......the GT-one will actually jump all four wheels off the ground when shifting from fist to second gear with the rs4 gearing conversion..... Amazing!

Old 12-27-2010, 10:49 AM
magnus213

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Always cool to see another nice Super Nitro. I'm squinting at the GT-One. Is that an OS .18CV motor?

Feel free to post some more pictures, perhaps larger ones!
Old 12-27-2010, 11:28 AM
cudacharger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: magnus213

Always cool to see another nice Super Nitro. I'm squinting at the GT-One. Is that an OS .18CV motor?

Feel free to post some more pictures, perhaps larger ones!

Thanks Magnus213...yes both have the OS .18CV motor.

I need to shoot some better pics...here's a few of my Super Nitros.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:47 AM
mine721

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the trans parts from the rs4 3 two speed will work.you have to change the gear shaft because they are set up differently.you will also have to use the piunion set up from the rs4 2 2 speed .the shaft part number is hpi a831 shaft for the two speed tranny.clutchbell for the two speed hpi a823 or a825 or a826 .it depends upon which spur gear combo you go with.just for a baseline use the 13/16 clutchbell and the 46/43 spur gear combo.76816 is the 46 tooth spur76813 is the 43 tooth spur.hope this helps,kirk
Old 12-27-2010, 11:56 AM
mine721

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

as for as engines i recommend the os 18 cv-r.great motor for the price.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:56 AM
magnus213

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: cudacharger

Good lord. How did you get so many?!

Old 12-27-2010, 04:35 PM
cudacharger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: magnus213

Quote:
ORIGINAL: cudacharger

Good lord. How did you get so many?!

That's a loaded question..... The short answer is I'm really old school and the newer cars on the market are great but don't have the appeal like the SNRS4. The super nitro back in the 90's had some of the coolest parking lot racing until hpi discontinued the car and the Proceed. Over the years I started collecting the cars, parts, bodies, spare anything super nitro because I really enjoy running the 1/9 scale vs. the 1/10 scale cars and till this day the cars look better then anything on the market IMO.

The GT One Toyota car #484 just rocks so I have quite of few of those and the history behind the real car in Japan is very cool.....along with a several Proceeds and spares. In addition to other late model nitro cars..... the super nitros I have the most fun running and collecting. I have kept almost every Rc car I bought as a kid.......so they start to add up over a period of time.

My latest HPI car is a Super Nitro RS4 Electric version that I have been trying to locate for over 5 years (These are practically impossible to find and in this condition never used or opened).....mint condition with spares to boot.....you could say I kinda have a sickness for the HPI Super Nitro RS4 cars....

Old 12-27-2010, 05:41 PM
cudacharger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: mine721

the trans parts from the rs4 3 two speed will work.you have to change the gear shaft because they are set up differently.you will also have to use the piunion set up from the rs4 2 2 speed .the shaft part number is hpi a831 shaft for the two speed tranny.clutchbell for the two speed hpi a823 or a825 or a826 .it depends upon which spur gear combo you go with.just for a baseline use the 13/16 clutchbell and the 46/43 spur gear combo.76816 is the 46 tooth spur76813 is the 43 tooth spur.hope this helps,kirk

Thanks for the post Kirk! Nice to have this info and part numbers....I dug in my files and located a old gear ratio chart....hope this helps....u might have to expand view to read.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:55 PM
magnus213

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's amazing. I'm not sure why, but I also have a thing for older HPI models... If I had a little bit more money I'd pick up a Proceed if I could find a good one.

I just found a Super F1 and bought it for myself for Christmas. The first car HPI ever made!

I'll do a photoshoot with my collection in a few weeks and post up for everyone to see.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:13 PM
cudacharger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's awesome please post some pic's when you get a chance!!

Search this Thread