Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Measuring offset wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 08:37 PM
D.DJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Measuring offset wheels

How do you measure the offset of wheels, either foam or rubber?

The way I do it is I get a wheel of known offset, measure how deep it is from the inner side of the wheel and see how 'deep' it is to the inner hex part. From there I go up against other wheel and see the difference in mm, and therefore finding the offset of it. If the measurement is smaller than what '0 offset' is, then the offset is positive, negative if the measurement is more or deeper.
So if the hex mount sits 2mm higher than what 0 offset wheels are, then the offset of that wheel is +2mm or +2 deg (however it is, I say +2mm)

Don't get confused when I say the hex mount, I mean the flat part near the whole, not the wall of the hex.

Just to confirm if I measured correctly, I place 1 wheel on the car (on the front in my case) and place the other end without a wheel up against a wall with a ruler underneath. I measure the total width of the 0 offset wheel, and if another wheel makes it wider, then the offset is however much more wider the car now sits.

So am I right in measuring it? And is it normal for some rear 30mm foams to have a -1mm offset? I have 2 wheels, 1 Jaco and 1 LRP VTEC wheels, and they are both '-1mm' offset.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:19 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Measuring offset wheels

There is an easier way, lay something flat across the back of the wheel, then use a dowel or caliper to measure from the under side of the flat thing to the bottom of the hex indent. Then compare to a known zero offset wheel. Positive offset means your measurement on the backspacing will be equally smaller. Two +2 wheels on the back of the car will make its track width 4mm wider overall than the front which has a zero offset.

I didn't even know -1mm existed... are you sure you are measuring right?
Old 07-21-2010, 08:43 PM
D.DJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: proanti1

I didn't even know -1mm existed... are you sure you are measuring right?
Yep, 100% sure. I fitted the +2 offset wheels and I measured 202mm (Only having 1 wheel on) and then the other wheels (2 sets) both gave me 199mm. 3mm difference, so they have to be -1mm offset, or the +2 are actually +3's? Doesnt matter, as long as Iknow which is which.

BTW, in another thread, you said "go spam elsewhere. What you are pushing is a piece of crap" You never replied to what I said after that, but were you asying that to what I said about the TM G4's or to the thread starter??
Old 07-22-2010, 11:18 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, looked like spam... usually I just type random crap on spam forum posts. I guess he was legit? I dunno.