RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Stripped gear on Ofna LD3

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 12:04 AM
jude26
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stripped gear on Ofna LD3

I was breaking in my first tank of my new LRP Z.18S in my Ofna LD3 and I noticed that it was not going into second gear, then all of a sudden, the car stopped moving, when I looked at it, the first gear was completely stripped as you can see in the picture. The mesh was good. I don't understand what happened. I ordered some new ones, but I don't want this to happen again. Any thoughts??
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71593.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1491876  
Old 08-29-2010, 03:52 AM
D.DJ

Default RE: Stripped gear on Ofna LD3

Just make sure the mesh is as tight as you can get it without binding/crushing, and also check the alignment with the engine. Make sure they sit right onto each other and that they are completely parallel to each other. I learnt the hard way by having my 1st gear slightly mis-aligned, so I stripped 2 gears in 2 races, funny enough they both went at exactly the same section as each other. So make sure they sit parallel to each other, and the mesh so that they are almost crushing each other, but still able to spin freely.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:50 AM
petard

i agree with D.DJ i've done the same thing many a time with my previous cars when i started out with nitro cars, but don't worry loads of people have this happen to them and it's just another learning experience 
Old 08-29-2010, 07:53 PM
bigdogkanicsar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a big thing to be sure of when changing gears or setting your gear mesh is
1. make sure the spurs and pinion are matching I.E. 1st being 24/48 ,2nd being 27/51
if the 1st and 2nd gear pinions have a three tooth difference the 1st and 2nd gear spurs should have a three tooth difference as well.
2. make sure the engine/pinions are lining up straight when setting gear mesh and not at an angle.
if they are at an angle ,one gear will have better contact than the other and one with less contact may strip.