RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC On Road Nitro Cars (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-road-nitro-cars-242/)
-   -   Used Serpent Vector 1/8th scale, buy or not to buy? Help me out. (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-road-nitro-cars-242/11288083-used-serpent-vector-1-8th-scale-buy-not-buy-help-me-out.html)

Yourworstnightmare 11-05-2012 07:10 PM

Used Serpent Vector 1/8th scale, buy or not to buy? Help me out.

So, could you guys please steer me in the right direction?

A buddy of mine wants to sell me his used Serpent Vector rolling chassis. It's got a .21 Nova Rossi motor in it, 2 Futaba high end coreless servos, and a Futaba micro receiver.

The car is in great shape albeit a little bit dirty, and the foam tires are pretty damn worn down. The tuned pipe appears to be almost brand new, and according to him he's put less than 1 full gallon of fuel through the motor. The belts are not frayed, and the drivetrain rolls nice and smooth.

He said he'd sell it to me for $200 even.

Obviously I'll need all of the supporting equipment, as well as a new radio system. I want to know if that's a good price for this vehicle, considering it was well over a grand as it's setup.

Are these foam tires available to still purchase? Are parts still out there? Or is this a crap shoot?

I know back in the day, these cars were absolutely DUMB fast with their 2-speed transmissions, and flex-free chassis.

Please let me know your thoughts, I'd really appreciate any and all info.

Thanks.

-Matt<br type="_moz" />

Yourworstnightmare 11-07-2012 09:41 AM

RE: Used Serpent Vector 1/8th scale, buy or not to buy? Help me out.

Not a single thought on this thing?!

ByronRC 11-08-2012 08:48 PM

I personally wouldn't. Up front it may seem like a good deal, but in the long term it may not. I remember back when I started in rc about 10 years ago I would jump at a $200 Serpent Vector as I actually wanted one, but didn't have the funds. I think today while probably still a great car, you would be hard pressed to get spare parts for it and trust me you'll need them. In short, if you have a source for parts then jump on it, but remember that the car has become discontinued for quite awhile.

fdjizm 11-09-2012 03:57 AM

Once it breaks, you're going to half to make it nice and clean for the shelf lol.

iexion 11-09-2012 01:06 PM

If you cant find any parts for it, Skip it. You wont want to run it if you cant find "awhole lotta" parts for it

Yourworstnightmare 11-09-2012 09:36 PM

Good points guys. There's no place to get parts?!

I haven't been able to find em myself.... so, I think I'll pass on this one.

I appreciate the input..........<br type="_moz" />