RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC On Road Nitro Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-road-nitro-cars-242/)
-   -   Nitro RC Kyosho Identification and Engine (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-road-nitro-cars-242/11546518-nitro-rc-kyosho-identification-engine.html)

Scott4571 06-18-2013 12:03 AM

Nitro RC Kyosho Identification and Engine

1 Attachment(s)
<div>Hi All,</div><div>I just joined this forum.</div><div>I picked this up the other day, got it for a steal.</div><div>This is my first nitro RC car.</div><div></div><div>The battery holder was broken, but I used the one from my tamiya to test the servos, all worked well.</div><div></div><div>If anybody could shed some light on what model it is, and what size engine that would be great.</div><div></div><div>It has been sitting for some years by the look of it, the nitro is thick, how do I go about cleaning everything up before running it?</div><div></div><div>Any help would be much appreciated!http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif</div><div></div><div>Cheers</div><div>Scott</div>

Anthoop 06-18-2013 09:03 AM

RE: Nitro RC Kyosho Identification and Engine

I am not sure which car it is...a search of Google images may turn something up...try - vintage Kyosho 1/10 4WD nitro...etc
The engine from what I can see looks like a GS11R...it should say on the side of the engine casing.
As for cleaning, then I would fully strip and clean everything and fix up the bits that need attention....looks like it has not been used for a fair time. :)

On2_n_On4 06-18-2013 10:04 AM

looks like a pureten

On2_n_On4 06-18-2013 10:19 AM

after some search,, yes it is an old pureten http://www.todocoleccion.net/mclaren...idad~x26894069

Scott4571 06-18-2013 01:34 PM

Thanks a lot guys!<div>
</div><div>I got the car for $30, also came with another set of wheels and new tyres, I think I did well?</div><div>
</div><div>Is it worth me getting this baby running? Are there parts still around for the pureten?</div><div>
</div><div>Is it a good performer?</div><div>
</div><div>The starter cord is hanging out a little bit I reckon It has enough length to still start.</div><div>
</div><div>Now I just need some nitro.</div><div>
</div><div>I have a O.S. 8 glow plug, what fuel would I run?</div><div>
</div><div>Sorry for all the questions guys....</div><div>
</div><div>Cheers</div><div>Scott</div>

Anthoop 06-19-2013 09:39 AM

You got it for 30 USD?....that to me is 20 GBP...I will give you 40 GBP for it and be very very happy....Yes you have a good little deal there in my mind. :)

I would not use the pullstart like that...it will only be a problem you do not need....either fix what you have or buy a new pullstart assy.

Os8 is fine....and 16% nitro fuel.

Scott4571 06-19-2013 01:19 PM

Thanks for the advice.<div>
</div><div>Yep $30AUD. I thought it was a good deal :D</div><div>
</div><div>Is the pull start an easy fix, or am I better off to replace it?</div><div>

Anthoop 06-20-2013 08:42 AM

30 AUD...that is even cheaper than I thought. [X(]

"Is the pullstart an easy fix"....tricky question. :)
I want to say yes it is easy to rebuild and fix a pullstart...but it can be a patience tester at times....have a look on Ebay to see how much a new one is first. :)

It is easy to remove as it only clips onto the backplate...unclip it but do not pull it off by the outer case....pull it back a little and then use a small flat driver in behind and gently lever the pulley. If you pull by the outer case the pulley will stay and the spring will go boinnnnnggggg. Plenty of guides for fixing PS on Youtube.

Scott4571 06-20-2013 03:07 PM

It works out to be about $35 AUD to get a pull starter.<div>
</div><div>I got some nitro fuel off a mate, apparently it is about 5 years old but has been stored well.</div><div>How can I test if it's still good to use?</div><div>I just want to verify the car is ok, before I go and spend a fair bit to fix her up.</div><div>

Anthoop 06-21-2013 07:15 AM

Ah, that is more than the car then...have a bash at fixing it and get the swear jar ready. :)

The main enemy of Nitro fuel is water, some say that if the inside of the bottle has any signs of water droplets then it is defunct...no test without getting way to technical. I say have a go with it and if does not run well or at all then your first priority is to try new fuel.

Scott4571 06-21-2013 03:22 PM

Thanks for all your help.
I only has a few puffs of smoke, but no dice.
So I will just have to source some new fuel.

Cheers
Scott
<br type="_moz" />