RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC On Road Nitro Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-road-nitro-cars-242/)
-   -   I want to upgrade old car... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-road-nitro-cars-242/8355815-i-want-upgrade-old-car.html)

suprapilot 01-13-2009 11:12 PM

I want to upgrade old car...

Hello,

I have been in and out of nitro cars for a while now...I got into nitro boats and I love them..but inthe colder months i usually run my cars alot more...

Anyway i recently pulled out an old HPI nitro RS4 rtr from about 5 years ago that i loved and always thought the engine was fried..I decided to workmon it and found out it was a simple problem and it actually runs great so i have been using it alot...

Only problem is it isnt very fast...It is an old RS4 that is belt driven with a single speed tranny and an nitro star .15 engine with the signle needle for adjustments..it was pretty fast when it was new, but it is slow compared to todays new cars..
SO i am asking you on here what i can do to squeeze some more power out of this engine....the only mods i did was put an HPI tuned pipe and header that was made for this car an it made a big difference in performance..so what else can i do to this car to make it faster...I already have a 2 speed trans on the list because the top speed isnt very fast, but it accelerates quickly...

any help would be great
thanks
Ant

locksmack 01-13-2009 11:34 PM

RE: I want to upgrade old car...

Perhaps change the gearing if you want more top end speed.

Don't quote me on this, but I think many parts of the RS4 Evo+ are compatible with your car, so check them out for some optional parts.

oneofakindtrini 01-14-2009 06:37 PM

maybe change up your gearing and then maybe go with a new engine, something afforadable like a cv-r or maybe a 18tz like me.

air-madness 01-15-2009 11:54 PM

This post is for anyone interested in making their Smartech insane on speed.

Okay, I have a two speed touring car by Smartech. After some research I found a very affordable set of replacement gears that are commonly found. That's right, COMMONLY FOUND!

Look at the two speed tranny in any Smartech closely... See any similarities in the 1st and second speed gears? The gears are identical to the 1st and second speed gears found in the Traxxas T-Maxx with the only exception being this: The first speed gear in Smartech is 48 teeth - the T-Max is 43 teeth (part #4984); the second speed gear in Smartech is 43 teeth - the T-maxx is 38 teeth (part #4985). Both still have a difference of five (5) teeth, which is important for the clutch mesh as it too has five (5) teeth difference.

Anyway, the gears are molded exactly the same even the other Traxxas T-Maxx parts work, such as parts #4988 and #4985 (gear hex hub and shift clutch).

I changed out the gears to the T-Maxx set up and MAN - OH - MAN! I clocked it at 84mph top speed. With these gears it has a hell of a lot more low end that compliments the high end nicely.

Believe me guys, these gears do work. IF you all like I will post some pics. Simply look at Traxxas web site and pull up their schematics and review.

Also, many folks talk smack about the Smartech name. I will tell you that they make some decent stuff. Ask Eric Shin at Traxxas (R&D) he will tell you that Traxxas sold machinery and rights to Smartech on numerous parts!

oneofakindtrini 01-16-2009 05:08 PM

smartech huh? are those anygood?

devo208 01-16-2009 08:37 PM

hell no they are cheap

oneofakindtrini 01-17-2009 07:10 PM

lolz, thts wht i was expecting. i know smartechs are trash. what kind of company name is SMARTECH?

ctimm 01-18-2009 02:09 PM

Hunt around for a 2 speed setup and maybe step up to a better engine. it make a world of difference and you really dont need to spend a fortune.

suprapilot 01-19-2009 09:10 PM

Well from what i am hearing on here it seems that the nitro star .15 engine i have isnt a very popular one since everyoen told me to change out the engine...i guess there isnt much more power to be had from this engine by upgrading it..I imagine by the time i upgrade to get some decent speed i could just go out and buy a new rs4 evo or something for a few bucks more..