Notices
RC Robotics and Autonomous Robots Discuss autonomous and radio control robots and anything related to robotics in here

atonomus rc car

Old 05-01-2008, 08:31 AM
DriftingDragon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default atonomus rc car

i am making a robot for school and i was wondering it there was a reciver like thing to control sensors and my servo and esc? and what kind of sensors should i use? and can the control module come preprogramed?
Old 05-01-2008, 08:47 AM
Access

Default RE: atonomus rc car

Off the top of my head I know the vex kits had a programmable option and kit, but there are other options out there too, Vex is $299. for the starter kit and more for the programmer, kinda expensive and they will update it soon to something better.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:33 AM
elsener

http://www.arduino.cc/ This is a programmable controller board. I havent used it but I hear it is pretty easy to set up. It can control standard rc servos as well as a range of sensors and motors too.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:43 PM
DriftingDragon

thanks now i have to get it o what program do i use to program it
Old 03-19-2009, 11:09 PM
fatphatboy88

You program the arduino with the software that you download on their page. I have not used the arduino but a lot of folks seem to love it. I personally just did something similar to this in my robotics class at school. We used a boebot(basic stamp) and just took the electronics off of it. Then we mounted it to one of the group members Traxxas rustler and programmed it to move towards a particular color. Then we mounted a big square of that color on the back of another rustler and made the robot chase after it. It really wasnt that hard either. The possibilities are endless with what you could make it do besides chasing. I wish I had a video of it, or the code so I could build it again. But it all got deleted a while back by another group member.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:36 AM
ddrake

OT:
excuse me, but what kind of schools have robotic classes?
Here in Italy there is none at all, except at university [:'(]

Arduino looks cool. You can take a look at sample programs you can find online in order to see if it suits your needs.
Fairly inexpensive too. Besides once the projects is done you can reprogram the board for other tasks.