Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Robotics and Autonomous Robots
Reload this Page >

modifying the joystick off an electric wheelchairf?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Robotics and Autonomous Robots Discuss autonomous and radio control robots and anything related to robotics in here

modifying the joystick off an electric wheelchairf?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 06:44 PM
highplummeter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default modifying the joystick off an electric wheelchairf?

im trying to create a battlebot of sorts for a stem project at my high school. Basically, a really large project that is supposed to tie in my last 3 years of academics in my electronmics tech area. im trying to figure out how to best modify the joystick off an wheelchair to become radio controlled.
the rest of the wheelcahir will be incorporated into the design, but the joystick is the only diffucult electronics part. I have yet to get my hands on the parts i need, but im working on it.

basically, im wondering if anyone out there as done anything similar, or exactly like it before.
for those who havent, anyone know if what is attached to the joystick itself is potentiomentors, that relay its position back to the cpu?
Old 10-10-2009, 08:37 AM
claserdesigns
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: modifying the joystick off an electric wheelchairf?

This is very simple, you need 2 servos and a norml radio/rx , you will have to create a base for the servos and special arms for them one servo will control foward and reverse, and the other left to right, you can also do360 movement to thejoystick.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:08 AM
dknovick

ORIGINAL: highplummeter

basically, im wondering if anyone out there as done anything similar, or exactly like it before.
for those who havent, anyone know if what is attached to the joystick itself is potentiomentors, that relay its position back to the cpu?
Usually (and I don't know exactly for a wheelchair joystick), there are pots (or some other way to sense position), which are read by an A/D converter (which is usually in a microcontroller like a PIC). The microcontroller can then send the information back to the computer via serial or usb.

What are you trying to do? Could you just use a TX and RX?
Old 10-17-2009, 03:40 AM
cowana

Take apart the joystick, revealing two pots. Connect these to the servos.

Job done!
Old 11-12-2009, 07:26 AM
wangchi

it  is easy to do!~i think you can DIY