Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Robotics and Autonomous Robots
Reload this Page >

Help with reciever and tank drive capatability

Community
Search
Notices
RC Robotics and Autonomous Robots Discuss autonomous and radio control robots and anything related to robotics in here

Help with reciever and tank drive capatability

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 01:49 PM
highplummeter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with reciever and tank drive capatability

im trying to make a robot out of hydraulics from a zero degree turn lawnmower. My idea on controlling the pilot operated valve levers might be with a pair of heavy but cheap motors. Also, part of the dilemma is that i wanta make it 4-wheel drive, and tank drive since 4 wheel drive with steering would be quite difficult to do. I know that on my reciever i can hook one ESC to the Channel one and one motor and the batteries. But my problem is what do i do with the 2nd ESC with the 2nd drive motor forthe tank drive.
IF i hook up the ESC to the reciever in any channel other than Channel 1, the reciever is supposed to put out voltage to the servo, but the servo is now the 2nd ESC putting power into the reciever. If i was to cut the positive wire off the ESC going to the reciever if might work, but i am not sure. MY best idea would be to connect only the signal wire to the ESC and reciever, but im sure that wont work since i must have 2 connections to the reciever and 2nd ESC.
umm, if someone has trouble interpreting this, just tell me, and ill try to make it a bit easier to understand.
thx to anybody who has input of any kind, even if it is to tell me that my ideas are wrong.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:45 PM
eagledancer

Default RE: Help with reciever and tank drive capatability

i used a vantec controller on the motors for my r2d2, works fantastic!!
Old 06-03-2009, 09:03 PM
highplummeter

thx for mentioning the vantex controller
umm are they usally operated from a labtop or a r/c transmitter
if i could find one for under $50 that is capable of handling 24 volts and about double the amperage of a wheelchair motor, which might be about 30-50 amps each, then i will look into getting one.
meanwhile, (i dont mean to be rude to you eagle dancer, i just like keep my options open and to have several at a time) umm anyone else have any sort of idea how to put an esc into a servo controller spot on a reciever without blowing both the receiver and the esc?
Old 06-03-2009, 09:05 PM
highplummeter

just to clarify the mention of the wheelchair motors, i may either use them to control the pilot operated hydraulic valves, or i may ust use them instead of the hydraulics, again i like to keep my options open.
Either way, i do need to know how to put an esc into a servo spot on the reciever without blowing either.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:01 PM
W9GFO

If your receiver is like any of my receivers then it really doesn't matter which channel is the one that receives the power because the center pins are all connected together, as are all the ground pins.

If you have two esc's, both with bec's then on one of them I would remove the center conductor so that only one of them is supplying power to the receiver.

Rich H