Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

My AX10

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 09:48 AM
calvino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My AX10

Here's my AX10. Its taken a while to get to this point but so far its got:
Losi 4" springs with 40wt oil and white springs with Revo ends
home made 5/16" Delrin lowers (amazing stuff)
Axial underdrive gears (rear) and aluminum c-hubs
VP Hi-steer knuckles (going zero ackerman)
Novak 55T motor [:'(]
Mamba Max ESC
Hitec HS-645
some cheap BEC (it works!)
3S 800mah 30C Sky Lipo (amazing)
CW Crawlers Rocker chassis [my own design]
Hot Bodies Sedonas (F) Rovers (R) both white
some cheap plastic glue on rims till I make something nicer

Few pics of the car and the chassis:
(freeze frame from a video)
(I changed the home made tires on the front to Sedonas and cleaned the wiring up a bit )
Little vid, I got a better one ill upload shortly [8D] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoLMRlerMnA (that's running the old tires )
Old 01-18-2011, 12:45 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: My AX10

whats wrong with that motor? i should think it would provide good toque & wheel speed on 11.1v.
whats your runtime on 800mah?

i have a 3000mah 3s lipo i run in my redcat rs10. gets me over a half hour of runtime.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:11 PM
calvino

Its pretty lacking in wheelspeed. For the moment im running it since I geared the chassis more towards noobs who run those motors but I have seen what a good 35T can do in a crawler and its insanity! All I can say though is that the chassis is absolutely nuts for my car compared to the ax10 stock chassis.

Hmmm about 20 mins "give or take" on how much im crawling. If im pulling a bunch of power demanding lines or putting the car in tight spots maybe 10-12 mins but on average I tend to do a mix of "tough and easy" so I can go about 20 mins. Generally my knee acts up before a battery dies . At about $10 a battery from Hobby Partz you can get a few and be set all day!

I don't know if you can see the video or not but here's a different video of it in action. http://www.facebook.com/video/video....84551211565581 The Sedonas KILL on the rocks, my rovers are worn and not as grippy but that's almost an advantage
Old 01-18-2011, 03:16 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

but would you loose to much torque if you geared up the motor for alittle more wheel speed?

my crawler uses a pair of 70t 380motors. i know that sounds small, but at 70turns and geared low and pushing 11.1v they perform really well. a nice mix of wheel speed and torque. honestly if they had much more torque it would be a bad thing, as i would start breaking things

there has been snow up here for awhile. so having decent wheel speed is really good in the snow.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:41 PM
calvino

I would, I know a lot of people who went from a Novak 55T to a "crawler made" 35T (hand wound, powerful magnets and so on) and it had as much torque as a 55T (generic) and also had killer wheelspeed so it won all around. I think it boils down to personal opinion but I have *COOKED* this motor before due to high gearing so its a miracle it even runs in the first place [X(]

For me ive sorta 'bulletproofed" my transmission so minus a MMM going in there, I think its going to hold up just fine All I can say is im happy with what im running at the moment, I am looking at a stronger steering servo though, the 645 is powerful but it seems to loose power when I need it most when climbing [&:]
Old 01-18-2011, 03:48 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

if it seems like the servo is weaker when the motor is under load(climbing) then you probly need a external BEC. one that will provide 6v all the time to the servo.
the outcry ESC that i have came with a external BEC. which is really important on my rs10 since it is 4ws and has to power 2 servos.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:56 PM
calvino

Nope I got that covered! the BEC feeds right into the servo, its just the 645 doesn't have the torque that others do. It still works so im not grumbling there but overall it could be better
Old 01-20-2011, 10:25 PM
calvino

Here's a Youtube vid of the car in action in case the Facebook link didn't work (and its a lot longer)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OtFOU-a00Q&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
I love how WORN my rear Sedonas are in a good way, helps prevent the back from getting TO much grip
Old 01-27-2011, 04:21 PM
rickb-123

you did a great job looks good
Old 01-27-2011, 10:38 PM
calvino

ORIGINAL: rickb-123

you did a great job looks good
Thanks, i like how funky the chassis looks but how well it works

Made a few in Aluminum up and blasted them with Aluminum Oxide and we get...