Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

a scaler, a trailer, and a motor question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

a scaler, a trailer, and a motor question

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 06:47 PM
shockwave3895

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a scaler, a trailer, and a motor question

i am considering getting an scx10, but had a question. part of the reason i want mine is to be a dork and make a trailer to pull my plane to the field 1/3 of a mile down the road from my house. it takes me like 3 minutes to walk there, but i hate carrying my plane and transmitter. so my question is, can you get scale trailer hitches, i would imagine that places like rc4wd may have cosmetic ones, but i want working ones. and what kind of brushless system would you guys reccomend that would easily do a slow run speed for the average person, and not chew up a whole battery to get there and back (probably go for a 3-4000 mah 3 cell lipo) and still be able to crawl. id really appreciate any help on this! i do have a radio already so ill be getting the kit, so please no reccomendations to just stay stock!
Old 05-12-2011, 07:19 PM
ReaperGN

Default RE: a scaler, a trailer, and a motor question

To bad it also has to crawl. A Tamiya Semi would be perfect to haul your plane. But there is still the High Lift. Due to the transmission it can crawl, pull, and haul rear. On 1 3000mah battery mine can drive at walking speed for 45+ minutes. For the hitch there are some around but they are rare. You could mount a semi cab on a high lift and mount a 5th wheel hitch on the back. For the trailer I would use a Tamiya suspension and make a custom deck.

Also the leaf spring suspension will handle a trailer much better than a link setup.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:04 PM
Jado 6
My Feedback: (1)

Thats a tamiya dude 4 ya. Always trying to induct another hobbyist into their weird, cant get parts, evrything is overly expensive, club. I can cruise my 3s goat equipped axial for 2+ hrs on a 3000, and if i ever need a part, i don't have to wait for a plane to takeoff in japan to get it. Forget the tamiya. Get an scx. It'll do what you want it to do, better & cheaper. & how come whenever i see a hi-lux or other overly complicated tamiya rig, its never using those two extra gears theyr always spewing about?
Old 05-12-2011, 08:35 PM
ReaperGN

Ha! While pulling 3 SCX's backwards my High Lift would go straight through your tin can. Now it might be able to find a large rock to hide on until the High Lift figures out how to move it but it wont be able to run away. The High Lift can carry more, pull more, go faster, and crawl. A axial rig has a hard time holding a plastic body up so a heavy trailer is just out of the question. For what the requirements are Tamiya wins. And getting parts is not bad at all unless you happen to run it over with a lawn mower. Its not even that bad to get parts for my Rock Force.

If I wanted a low level scale crawler I would get a axial. But to haul a trailer Tamiya or RC4WD are the way to go.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:49 AM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, forget the over priced unavailable tamiya stuff. Axial scale stuff is much better, more available and cheaper. There are tons of scale and performance parts available for axial and the scx ladder frame is tons more scale and realistic than the straight framerails of any of tamiyas offerings!!

Are you stuck on brushless?? if so then go for the novak goat system, if not them go for a 35-55t brushed motor on a castle ESC on 3s lipo.

Anyway, have fun whatever you choose
Old 05-13-2011, 04:21 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: Jado 6

Thats a tamiya dude 4 ya. Always trying to induct another hobbyist into their weird, cant get parts, evrything is overly expensive, club. I can cruise my 3s goat equipped axial for 2+ hrs on a 3000, and if i ever need a part, i don't have to wait for a plane to takeoff in japan to get it. Forget the tamiya. Get an scx. It'll do what you want it to do, better & cheaper. & how come whenever i see a hi-lux or other overly complicated tamiya rig, its never using those two extra gears theyr always spewing about?
One question, do you own one? It seems clear to me that you don't know what you're talking about. For me Tamiya parts are just as easy to get as Axial ones, since my LHS only carries Traxxas and Losi. So I have to buy axial and tamiya parts online. There is actually a good aftermarket and replacement parts support for the High lift. Junfac, RC4wd, and RC Channel all make upgrade parts, just to name a few. Don't get me wrong, I own an AX10 and like it a lot, but Tamiya makes good vehicles as well and makes some things that other manufactures don't. I personally own one of their multi speed f-350s and definitely see the 3 speed as an advantage. You can have loads of torque for crawling in 1st gear do general offroad bashing in 2nd and cruise onroad well in 3rd. That multi speed trans would be good in shockwave3895's senario because he can transport his plane in 3rd and still crawl in 1st. The scx10 is a nice truck, but you don't have that flexibility.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:30 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: The Real Dogman

Yeah, forget the over priced unavailable tamiya stuff. Axial scale stuff is much better, more available and cheaper. There are tons of scale and performance parts available for axial and the scx ladder frame is tons more scale and realistic than the straight framerails of any of tamiyas offerings!!
Honestly most places I've seen that carry both have the parts for close to the same price. As far as being better, that is a personal preference. As stated above, there are many upgrades(including 4 link setups) available for the high lift as well. The scx10 chassis IS more scale on the bottom, however, the Highlift is more realistic on the top, because of it's more detailed hard bodies available as actual licensed trucks(f-350, tundra, and hilux). Also, you can lock and unlock the high lift's differentials externally. Does the scx10 even have diffs(I think it only comes with lockers that replace diff gears)?
Old 05-13-2011, 07:37 AM
shockwave3895

alright guys look, this isnt a thread for tamiyas, its about an scx10. i have done hours of research as to what vehicle i want, and spent a lot of time looking at the tamiya hilift. i just dont like it. its not quite my style and too expensive anyway. thats all. i even want to get the ford body for my scx when i finally get it. i am stuck on brushless just for ease of use, noise levels, and more or less maintenance free style. rc4wd has a pintle hitch but its mad expensive (25 bucks!!) ill get around to the trailer later on. thanks for the help for those of you that did halep and not just try to change this to a tamiya thread!
Old 05-13-2011, 09:20 AM
The Real Dogman

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

Honestly most places I've seen that carry both have the parts for close to the same price. As far as being better, that is a personal preference. As stated above, there are many upgrades(including 4 link setups) available for the high lift as well. The scx10 chassis IS more scale on the bottom, however, the Highlift is more realistic on the top, because of it's more detailed hard bodies available as actual licensed trucks(f-350, tundra, and hilux). Also, you can lock and unlock the high lift's differentials externally. Does the scx10 even have diffs(I think it only comes with lockers that replace diff gears)?

Your right Mad Modder!! I say do what I do,,, Kit bash and get the best of both worlds, SCX chassis with tamiya body and trim!! killer set up!! Do it!! Do it!!,,,,,,,,,,,,, Just,,,,,,,,,,,,, Do it!!
Old 05-13-2011, 10:37 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: The Real Dogman

Your right Mad Modder!! I say do what I do,,, Kit bash and get the best of both worlds, SCX chassis with tamiya body and trim!! killer set up!! Do it!! Do it!!,,,,,,,,,,,,, Just,,,,,,,,,,,,, Do it!!
Yeah!!! That way, when your aluminum output shafts snap off it'll still look good even though it can't go anywhere.

That's actually what happened in one of DJMEDiC's latest videos.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10483213/tm.htm
Old 05-13-2011, 11:18 AM
ReaperGN

ORIGINAL: shockwave3895

rc4wd has a pintle hitch but its mad expensive (25 bucks!!) ill get around to the trailer later on.
If 25 is to much then even Axial is to expensive. And when comparing say a SCX and a High Lift you get a lot more from the High Lift. Here are a few things.

Leaf springs
Hard Body
Tilt bed
19 led buckets (not cheap black plastic ones) (highs and lows)
Chrome
Tinted windows
Stronger axles
Lockable diffs
A transmission (not some gear box stolen from a crapsman lawnmower)
3 gear ratios
Rear steer (single or double servo setup)
Super duty aluminum shocks
Stronger chassis
High resale value
Steel drive shafts
Aluminum bumper
And more

Now that the Tamiya wins part is done consider this. You want to haul a trailer and plane, possibly more. A axial suspension will not handle it without running JB weld in the shocks. A axial truck will look like a 1/4 ton pickup trying to pull a 2300+ pound trailer. It might do it (very slowly) but a small rock can stop the whole thing. To pull anything heavier than a plastic trailer you need a rig with some grunt. And there are other options than Tamiya but axial is not one of them. Your requirements are NOT cheap. Its that simple. For what you asked for the High Lift is the best choice.

Also most of the people against the High Lift want one. But they cant afford the initial investment. So they buy a cheap truck like a Axial and after a year of dumping parts into it they could have bought a High Lift. And brushless sucks when you need control. A 50 dollar brushed setup can outperform a 350 dollar brushless setup.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:29 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: ReaperGN

If 25 is to much then even Axial is to expensive. And when comparing say a SCX and a High Lift you get a lot more from the High Lift. Here are a few things....
I think the OP decided on the scx10 before he started this thread....
Old 05-13-2011, 11:38 AM
ReaperGN

He can still be converted to the dark side.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:12 PM
The Real Dogman

Shouldn't have run it that hard without steel outputs anyway!! I always upgrade my RC's. they always have a weak link.

Anyway to OP just do your research on here and especially RCCrawler.com

You can build a killer scale plan hauler. Oh yeah check out Scale4x4.org I think it is, cool stuff there too!!

AND Reaper, after that garbage post you just laid and you live in my state, I just wanna punch you in your tamiya lunch box when I figure out who you are!!
Just one more reason NOT to buy Tamiya, Reaper likes'em!! You tamiya *****, you!

And do you really think They hit the scale looks of those rigs you posted, I think not!! There are 10's of thousands building scale rigs based on Axial(documented on RCC) and not nearly as many building high lift chassis, but a few, very few!!

AAAAHHHHH sorry op this thread is dead!!!

Old 05-13-2011, 12:24 PM
The Real Dogman

Why dont we get together so I can show you MY Collection! I have many, many, many oh did I mention many!! Just ask around you will see I have Many! I CAN AFFORD the initial investment plus some!! And not one junk brittle plastic Tamiya, oh wait, I take that back I have 1 Tamiya drift car thats been on the shelf since the chassis cracked. But I cant seem to GIVE that one away!! So Not 1 Running Tamiya!!

like I said before The bodies and detail work are great but the chassis and running gear,, eehh

ORIGINAL: ReaperGN

Also most of the people against the High Lift want one. But they cant afford the initial investment. So they buy a cheap truck like a Axial and after a year of dumping parts into it they could have bought a High Lift. And brushless sucks when you need control. A 50 dollar brushed setup can outperform a 350 dollar brushless setup.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:49 PM
ReaperGN

You wouldn't do a thing. Even though I want to build a lunch box scaler. And few people run the High Lift chassis for 3 reasons. 3. That's it.

1. Cant afford it.
2. Want to make their own
3. Not scale to the vehicle they are building

And a body does NOT I repeat does NOT make a truck scale. If that was true almost every RC would be a scaler.

Also in the world of RC Tamiya is king. Kyosho is a close second. Axial is some upstart that still has not made one high end model. There is the XR10 but in the MOA class its nothing special so its average. Axial has to use Tamiya or RC4WD parts to even start to be scale.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:16 PM
zman5000

i took a different approach on a trail/ tow rig it's a crawler chassis with bully axles and a cool body. it even has a trailer hitch.this is an older pic but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg13952.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	1608107  
Old 05-13-2011, 04:29 PM
The Mad Modder

Another company "A" vs company "B" flame war....why am I not surprised?

Now we just need a traxxas fanboy to chime in and say something like "U shud git a sumit i hav 1 an luv it lololololololololol".
Old 05-13-2011, 06:28 PM
shockwave3895

guys, listen, my plane weighs around or under 1/2 a pound. the trailer would weigh more. i dont doubt that the tamiya is awesome, but i dont want it. i dont like the way the body mounts, i dont like the suspension, i dont like the plastic transmission and thats it. i would love one if i could afford it and an scx, but i cant. i am on a very limeted budget being 16 and needing a car. i didnt ask what truck i should get, i asked a simple question. i may also carry around a slash or something, but ill do it the smart way. if you know a single thing about trailers and weight distibution, a mini t could haul a slash around no problem. you need the weight to be just foreword of the axle. if that is the case than the load on the suspension will be faily minimal, while maintaining traction and supporting the load with the trailer. you just need to be able to move the weight around which wont be an issue. wanna fight with me on this? well guess what... i know how to load tractors excavators, skidsteers, and miscelanious junk on REAL trailers. its part of what i do for a living. thanks for the help those of you that did. i think ill just get some ball links and make one from scratch. as for reaper, you are just being combative and annoying.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:03 PM
ReaperGN

Ha! There is a lot more to how a trailer and the vehicle pulling handle weight and mass. But since your simple minded here you go.

http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi...&part_id=10008
Old 05-14-2011, 03:37 AM
cumquat

you best bet us to make your own. most builds on rcc that have hitches use sheet metal and ball studs, $2 vs $25. as for the trailer, of it's really needed i would start with brass as its easy to work with and it can be found in a lot of shapes and sizes that are perfect for a 1/10 scale trailer. all you need is some 60/40 acid core solder and a propane torch.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:32 AM
The Mad Modder

guys, listen, my plane weighs around or under 1/2 a pound. the trailer would weigh more. i dont doubt that the tamiya is awesome, but i dont want it. i dont like the way the body mounts, i dont like the suspension, i dont like the plastic transmission
That's fine if you don't want one, but lets get a few facts straight. The 3 speed trans uses composite gears on steel shafts mounted to aluminum plates. The cover is plastic. ...The ax10 also has composite gears and the case is completely made of plastic.
i didnt ask what truck i should get, i asked a simple question.
I believe that most of this was caused by how vague that question was "i am considering getting an scx10" makes it sound as if you weren't sure yet what you wanted.
if you know a single thing about trailers and weight distibution, a mini t could haul a slash around no problem.
With a mini-t, you'd probably blow a couple of diffs while trying. I actually own a mini-t so I know. If you plan on hauling with an scx10, it'd be a good idea to get either the steel outputs that axial makes(as an option) or Robinson racing's steel bottom gear(with which the gear and outputs are 1 piece steel.)
Old 05-14-2011, 10:53 AM
shockwave3895

what i meant by i am considering is is that i am thinking about buying a scx10. its a money issue. while the thought is there reaper, i didnt ask for a trailer to buy. i am going to make one. all i wanted to know is about a hitch. what i mean by plastic is that they are not steel gears. i would be swapping out the tranny when i got one, so thats not an issue. i dont doubt that the tranny would have trouble with it in a mini t, but im saying that it wouldnt squish the suspension to the ground, and the stock motor could pull it on level dirt or concrete. all i would be doing is pulling like a pount or two of trailer and plane and reciever combined up and down a dirt road, that is well packed, and theres only one small hill. i think im going to just get one of these http://shop.dubro.com/products/produ...3.0.0.0?pp=12& and some screws to hold it to the trailer, make a hitch mount, and be done with it. 

ps, reaper, i am not simple minded. i just know how a trailer works, how to load one, and i know for a fact that an scx would pull one. if my evader ext can pull a rc10 with the back wheels not freely spinning all over the place no problem, than i think a 2 pound trailer will go just fine behind a scx.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:41 AM
The Mad Modder

i would be swapping out the tranny
What trans do you plan on using?

i think im going to just get one of these http://shop.dubro.com/products/produ...3.0.0.0?pp=12& and some screws to hold it to the trailer, make a hitch mount, and be done with it.

I would go with 4-40 for a little extra strength.
http://shop.dubro.com/products/produ...=884/101.0.1.1
Old 05-14-2011, 01:49 PM
plasmaedge

guys, listen, my plane weighs around or under 1/2 a pound. the trailer would weigh more. i dont doubt that the tamiya is awesome, but i dont want it. i dont like the way the body mounts, i dont like the suspension, i dont like the plastic transmission and thats it. i would love one if i could afford it and an scx, but i cant. i am on a very limeted budget being 16 and needing a car. i didnt ask what truck i should get, i asked a simple question. i may also carry around a slash or something, but ill do it the smart way. if you know a single thing about trailers and weight distibution, a mini t could haul a slash around no problem. you need the weight to be just foreword of the axle. if that is the case than the load on the suspension will be faily minimal, while maintaining traction and supporting the load with the trailer. you just need to be able to move the weight around which wont be an issue. wanna fight with me on this? well guess what... i know how to load tractors excavators, skidsteers, and miscelanious junk on REAL trailers. its part of what i do for a living. thanks for the help those of you that did. i think ill just get some ball links and make one from scratch. as for reaper, you are just being combative and annoying.
He's absolutely right, to have the perfect weight distribution you need 90% of the total weight over the axle/axles and 10% of the total weight to be over the drawbar. This pushes down slightly onto the rear wheels giving more traction but not so mush as to make the steering too light. It also lets the load on the trailer lean slightly forward so as not to fall backwards and topple.

So to everybody on the site dissing this guys idea on pulling a trailer that only weighs just over a 1/2 pound with an scx10, get your facts straight and stop talking out of your ass.

@shockwave - this will work just fine with an scx10.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.