Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Rock Racers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 09:15 AM
Matt_M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rock Racers?

So I was looking at the Axial Wraith "rock racer" they recently released, and the video sort of inspired me to want one.

I had always looked at rock crawlers and thought that I would not have much fun with them, because I like the vehicle to be able to move decently fast when it hits the open ground. Since a lot of crawlers are geared for crawl speed, I don't think I would have a lot of fun with that. But what's up with these rock racers? Are they something different, like a crawler geared for higher speed?

I go on hikes on my property where I walk over a lot of clay washout ruts, rocks, roots, and giant hills, with dirtbike trails everywhere around me. I think it would be amazing to have an R/C vehicle that could travel beside me, but still reach adequate speeds on open ground.

Can this be done with other vehicles besides the Axial Wraith? Can something the XR10 be geared for higher speeds?

And when I say "higher speeds", I only mean like 25-30MPH.

Thanks

Old 07-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Rock Racers?

I have to say I don't understand the appeal of a 'rock racer'. If the ground is open enough to run, then a truggy or similar dedicated high speed off road car would offer significantly more thrills. If the ground is so rocky that no kind of speed is achievable, then a rock crawler is where its at. In my (highly inexperienced in this area) opinion, they don't bash very well and they don't crawl very well...so...er...what do they do? I've seen all the Wraith videos, all the Gmade R1 videos, and I still don't see how a car that does neither open nor rocky ground well, is appealing. Maybe I'm missing something.

Maybe I'll try one too and see what it's all about. [&:]
Old 07-10-2011, 09:59 AM
gokemidoro

Mostly, I find RC rock racing is not quite the same as 1:1 rock racing. You would think the principle is the same, but execution is another matter.

It IS fun, I've made a few rock racers in the past three years, all were custom-made, and I traded my last RR just last week. RR is hard on the chassis, because it ISfaster than crawling, per se, and a RR cannot be expected to do all that a well set-up crawler can do. Think of a crawler on steroids, though there's more to it, with adjustments.

I used cheap electronics in them, for obvious reasons, but it is a break from crawling.

Matt_M,

25 - 30 MPH?? No, RR's aren't made to do those speeds. You would reasonably get 15, maybe squeeze 20 MPH out of one, but any faster, and they won't be good as rock racers (there is a sweet spot with gearing).

It is fun, but I guess not for everybody.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:12 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a wheely king with an elongated chassis might work for what you seem to want.
even then it might hit 20 tops, unless you throw a brushless setup in it. But at that point you will be sinking a ton more in cash into it to make it survive the setup.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:52 AM
gonggongboy

Check this out... Its my Rock Racer (Basher and a Crawler) Its basicaly a copy of the Wraith using a Proline Tuber chassis

Old 07-24-2011, 08:33 AM
Matt_M

I guess I don't need that speed I stated. What I really want is something I could drive with me while I go on a hike. There are ruts and rocks, nothing too extreme, but it would be neat to take out on some of the trails. So what I would want more than anything would be ability to crawl, and hold a large battery pack. Maybe like a 2S 6000mah pack I'm guessing. What do you guys think, should I just buy the XR10, or would that limit me to very slow speeds? I would want to go brushless, I put a lot of money into my builds. Could I get 15mph in an XR10? If I needed to strengthen it in any way I would do it. Thanks for the help. Nice photos of that build, I like it a lot.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:23 AM
CustomTamiyas4Life
My Feedback: (34)

XR10 would require two motors and you probably cant fit a large lipo in there and still have the ability for good suspension movement. Plus it is designed for competition crawling so i don't think it would handle speed well.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:17 AM
gonggongboy

If you hike on trails and stuff a scale crawler would be perfect, I can drive almost every that a 2.2 comp crawler can. I run a 27t motor and it boogies

Maye you should look into a Axial Wraith... Its not a comp crawler, but its fun and crawls pretty good
Old 07-24-2011, 03:08 PM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gonggongboy is right, the Wraith is a killer compromise for a basher/racer/crawler!!

@ gonggongboy- Did you know you live in the same area as the manufacturer of some of the most awesome RC electronics on the planet??!!?? Castle Creations..

Dunno why that was important,, just noticed where you are from,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 07-24-2011, 04:50 PM
zman5000

maybe then you might look at a traxxas stampede 4x4 with the vxl system, rugged and fast and you can throw any body on it you want.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:38 PM
fastandloud

Has anyone actually driven a wraith? My buddy picked one up around the first of july and i was able to have a few sessions with him before i left town on the 4th (dont know how the LHS got one so early but he got 1 of 2) Im running an Scx10 which ive stripped down and put a 27t motor in for a more racer "unlimited 4x4" feel and these were my observations..........as soon as he plopped it down next to my Scx i noticed the size difference. The wraith is quite a bit bigger overall with a much wider stance. This obviously made it much more stable at higher speeds. he was pretty much lapping me up and down the trail! I got several turns at the remote and was VERY impressed with the speed and stability. I have NEVER broke anything more then a servo horn on my scx but i was really impressed with the full tube chassis. Its like its all one tough piece. dont know how easy that makes working on it but we shall see. My buddy ows a 1:1 and i convinced him to buy an Rc after he took one turn at the remote of mine. Hes very pleased with his wraith so far and the only thing he has said is that he would like all aluminum/metal steering components but wouldnt we all! Hope this helps some of you guys debating over the wraith..Its worth it IMO!!
Old 07-26-2011, 10:51 AM
gonggongboy

I have in fact driven a Wraith... Its what inspired me to build my Rock Racer. Harley over on RCCrawler has two of them, one somewhat stock and the other heavily modded. They are really fun to run and there size makes them handle really good. They are tough and durable. Also there not to expensive i believe they are $360, so when you add a battery and a charger $400 compared to most RTR on the market running $600+ like the Traxxas Summit and so on its a good buy.

If your seriously interested in a crawler you better check out RCCrawler.com It has everything you would ever need to know about crawlers and scalers
Old 07-27-2011, 03:47 PM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

Possibly supposed to be like Formular Offroad, but given the look and setup, seems unlikely.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:07 PM
Matt_M

Yeah I'm definitely going to get into crawlers, or at least try the wraith. Something about that darn xr10 that makes me want it though. Its function just looks awesome and I think I could have some fun at my property without always needing speed. Probably going to be a little delay for a few weeks on kits though, because I just bought a $2200 50cc 12hp engine for my Baja 5t today. Vroom vroom. Off topic but check this monster out: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/...t=SN201105.mp4
Old 07-28-2011, 07:35 AM
gonggongboy

Haha that Baja is Bad@$$... I have always wanted one

Anyways the xr10 is really good out of the box crawler the MOA alxes make it a great crawler. You cant go wrong with an XR10, i just dont know if the speed is what your looking for. Its a comp crawler, not a basher or a racer by any means. It can go just about any where though
Old 07-28-2011, 07:50 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: gonggongboy

Check this out... Its my Rock Racer (Basher and a Crawler) Its basicaly a copy of the Wraith using a Proline Tuber chassis

Do you have a picture of the under side of your crawler? I am interested to see how you mounted everything...
Old 07-28-2011, 08:27 AM
gonggongboy

All i had to do was drill holes for the Skidplate, Remove plastic around the tranny and make tabs to mount the shocks
Old 07-30-2011, 06:58 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually like rock racers. I see Foxy's point but I've seen lots of areas that are too open to enjoy a rock crawler on but too small to get too much speed with a nitro or gas car on. The Wraith looks really cool.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:23 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wraith looks awesome! But Ithink Syco's remark on the Wheely King is valid. It's a similar concept in where it's built like a crawler but, is geared and paired with a 27 turn motor for more speed. I have a set of Proline crawler wheels/tires on my King and use it like a "trail blazer." Top speed at the moment with the stock motor is somewhere in the low - mid teens.