Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

gears falling off, tips?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 12:40 PM
diabolic-mind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gears falling off, tips?

so i was out with my hpi crawler king today. 5 minutes into climbing the pinio popped off. not a big deal at first. got it back on nice and tight, then 15 minutes later the spur pops off. got it back on and another couple minutes pass and the pinion pops off again. any tips on prevevting this from happening. i am getting them tight but they are just popping off again and again. thanks
Old 11-26-2011, 12:45 PM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: gears falling off, tips?

I say,,,,,,,,

Wait for it,,,,,,,,,,,

Give up the hobby!!!!
Old 11-26-2011, 12:50 PM
diabolic-mind

how about no
Old 11-26-2011, 12:52 PM
diabolic-mind

i was thinking maybe locktite on the spur gear screw, as for the pinion gear all i can think of is maybe tap the motor shaft so that the set screw can bite into it?
Old 11-26-2011, 12:53 PM
ReaperGN

Loctite and maybe new screws.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:59 PM
diabolic-mind

the pinion and set screw are bran new. ill try drilling th motor shaft. just gotta get the drilled hole perfectly aligned with where the pinion needs to be positioned in line with the spur
Old 11-26-2011, 03:03 PM
jermpool

Green loctite or red loctite
Old 11-26-2011, 03:07 PM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seriously locktite is your friend!!
Old 11-26-2011, 05:24 PM
ReaperGN

ORIGINAL: diabolic-mind

the pinion and set screw are bran new. ill try drilling th motor shaft. just gotta get the drilled hole perfectly aligned with where the pinion needs to be positioned in line with the spur

Don't bother. Just use loctite and a good set screw. That's how its been done for 40+ years. Drilling the shaft is just an accident waiting to happen.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:34 PM
diabolic-mind

awesome, i used a bit of locktite on bot hthe set screw and the screw for the spur gear and had two runs without and issue. its hard to think that with as tight as i had the set screw before it could loosen up like it did. just the little extra help from the lock tite did a tremendous job.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:02 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: diabolic-mind

awesome, i used a bit of locktite on bot hthe set screw and the screw for the spur gear and had two runs without and issue. its hard to think that with as tight as i had the set screw before it could loosen up like it did. just the little extra help from the lock tite did a tremendous job.
yup loctite is your friend
my 1/8th truggy, and savage both would pop off their pinions so I got fed up, and smeared loctite on the shaft before I put the pinion on as well as in the grub screw hole. The pinions have not budged since I did that. And they are still able to be taken off (just need a tap from a hammer). Can't say I had issues with 1/10th's and down as I did with 1/8th pinions though they usually stay in place where they are cranked down.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:57 PM
ReaperGN

In most cases loctite is the only way to go. By stopping the screw from moving it cant loosen. That's why important things have extra hardware to lock them in place.

Except on my rock force where the smallest screw on the whole rig kept backing out even with locktite. A little welding and I don't see that part coming loose again.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:58 AM
Link119
My Feedback: (1)

Also, take a file and put a little dent in the shaft where the pinion sits so it doesnt slide off.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:03 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: jermpool

Green loctite or red loctite
Green loctite is made for threads that are already tightened(it wicks into them).

Read loctite is made to be permanent. It you want to remove it, you must heat the screw/pinon. Otherwise you'll strip the screw

Blue loctite is best in most cases. You don't need to heat it and I have yet to have one come loose.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:03 AM
diabolic-mind

link, that file tip is actually a great idea, its similar to what i was thinking with drilling the hole but alot less complicated. if i have any more issues i think that is the first thing im doing next. todays project is stiffening up all the slop in the stock steering on my hpi crawler king. my only complaint about mounting the servo on the axle is with the stock shocks it interferes with the articulation. for now im gonna beef up the stock links so they ont flex as much. i already replaced the stock plastic links on the front and made some new links out of tie rods from another truck.