Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

2 speed and bashing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 07:31 PM
slowstang88

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 speed and bashing?

just curious if anyone has done this with an Axial? How well do the axles handle hits? I'm not talking about insane jumps and hardcore bashing, more of a dual action rig.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:19 PM
slowstang88

Default RE: 2 speed and bashing?

Well boredom sat in yesterday and decided to modify some stuff. I have a SCX10 with a delrin skid, custom steel lower links, Rooster Crawler ESC, 55 turn motor, 5100MAH 7.4 Orion pack, stock wheels, and Hammer tires with starred stock foams. First thing was to blow the trans apart and figure out the grinding/clicking so I cleaned it out (ended up being dirt around the output yokes), re-greased it and switched to a ROAR stock 540 motor. It was more zippy and still was able to crawl pretty well (20t gear) so I started thinking about lowering COG, and drug out some 5cell nimh packs I had made for another project gone awry. I zip tied them to each axle and started computing the voltage, and thinking bot packs wired in parallel wouldnt be enough voltage i wired them series and recharged them... Fully expecting to let the smoke out with that much voltage, I was REALLY surprised when it torque twisted into a wheely then flipped on its side (on concrete). I set up a ramp and jumped it a few times and it landed pretty well but the gog was still too high and also blew 2 shock caps off. My friend came over and said he had some spare traxxas shocks and were shorter so we installed them and re engaged and blew the rear driveshaft apart! Changed the front driveshaft to the rear (2wd) and it was kicking rooster tails in the dirt/gravel. Re engaged the ramp and it landed soft and flat, but of course ripped another driveshaft apart! Time for some steel ones! Oh heah, it still flexes up and crawls too!
Old 01-01-2012, 02:46 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

md, do you have any pix of the mods?

I'm considering bashing a XR10 to rear drive only, I want to "convert" the chassis to offroad style handling. Is it possible u think?
Old 01-01-2012, 07:36 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: vasek

md, do you have any pix of the mods?

I'm considering bashing a XR10 to rear drive only, I want to ''convert'' the chassis to offroad style handling. Is it possible u think?
You would be better off getting a Wraith or SCX10.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:07 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

t9, i'm trying to achieve the "Tron" look. the spring would definitely distract from the sleek silhouette, thus the choice of the XR10 chassis. is it feasible to adapt it?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26456.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	1708130  
Old 01-07-2012, 03:59 PM
slowstang88

Anything is possible, you could do cantilever suspension and hide the coilovers under the body. Mine is def not pic worthy right now, its a bunch of different colors (a bunch of different aftermarket aluminum parts, plus it was just a motor and coilover change.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:01 PM
diabolic-mind

if you want that glowing lines look they make the glowing string lights for rc trucks and planes. ive used it in automotive applications before and the look of it is wicked, the only downside i have found with it though is that direct sunlight causes patches in the string to shine dimmer than others