Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

SCX10 NEED HELP! I'M NEW TO RC.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

SCX10 NEED HELP! I'M NEW TO RC.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 02:17 AM
Alaskan Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCX10 NEED HELP! I'M NEW TO RC.

OkI need help with my RC crawler.I wanta higher topspeed, but I dont want to lose torq.I have a stock SCX10, except for slightly larger tires. my motor now is a t27. SoI saw some crawlers that had two motors. should i get two low number T motors or 1slightlylower T then it is now? I also saw that you could get transmisions too,I would also like to know a little about them.Would making the rearweels turn as well as the front onesend up in losing torq?What is the best typeof batteries?I'm now running off 4000mAh ni-MH. Ilove playing with my RC outside but i don't like it when theplastics get brittle, I've allready had to replace the mount for the front bumper.I've been thinkingaboutreplacingthe plastics withmetal parts.Goodidea?Sinceit is realy cold outside here in AK, ive herd of the gopro cameras,do they stream live? What is the advantage to having aftermarketcontrollers? I'm sorry about all of the questions, and possible spell errors.Please help.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:38 PM
jsowens

Default RE: SCX10 NEED HELP! I'M NEW TO RC.

My responses are in red.

ORIGINAL: Alaskan Guy

OkI need help with my RC crawler.I wanta higher topspeed, but I dont want to lose torq.I have a stock SCX10, except for slightly larger tires. my motor now is a t27.
Unfortunately if you make your crawler faster, you'll lose torque. A 27t motor should be plenty fast enough, but if you want it a little faster, go for a larger pinion gear. How fast are you wanting to go?

SoI saw some crawlers that had two motors. should i get two low number T motors or 1slightlylower T then it is now?
You can't put 2 motors on a scx10...the rigs you're talking about are MOA rigs or motor on axle. The axle designs allow them to have a motor at each axle instead of drive shafts and a transmission

I also saw that you could get transmisions too,I would also like to know a little about them.
What do you want to know? There are plenty of transmissions out there, most of which accomplish the same thing. Your axial transmission is fine and can be upgraded a lot. The only reason I would suggest you change transmissions is if you wanted a 2 speed tranny.

Would making the rearweels turn as well as the front onesend up in losing torq?
Out of the box, your front and rear wheels should turn at the same time. That shouldn't have any effect on torque.

What is the best typeof batteries?I'm now running off 4000mAh ni-MH.
Depends on what you consider "the best". 90% of guys out there are using Lipo batteries. In my opinion they're a ton better than nimh batteries because they maintain constant power instead of your rig getting weaker and weaker on a nimh pack. Not to mention lipos are a lot lighter weight than nimh batteries. The downfall is you have to have a special charger that either has a balancer built in, or an external balancer. As well as an ESC with a lipo cutoff.

Ilove playing with my RC outside but i don't like it when theplastics get brittle, I've allready had to replace the mount for the front bumper.I've been thinkingaboutreplacingthe plastics withmetal parts.Goodidea?
Metal parts are stronger than plastic...rarely a bad idea. If you can find aluminum replacements for plastic parts you break, it's a good upgrade.

What is the advantage to having aftermarketcontrollers?
More adjustability mostly. Usually stock radios will have very few adjustments...maybe steering and throttle trim if you're lucky. On a nicer radio setup, there are far, far more adjustments to play with, not to mention some radios have multiple model memory, so if you have multiple r/c cars, you can personalize each one and store it in the radio.

I'm sorry about all of the questions, and possible spell errors.Please help.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Alaskan Guy

I think I want a 2 speed tranny so i can go fast and then crawl. i don't want it to go 60mph. i just want it to go about 20ish.  thanks a lot this really helps.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:09 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a mount for adding a second motor to the SCX10 tranny..

http://www.level3-rc.com/axial/axial...c_crawler.html
Old 01-31-2012, 03:40 PM
Jado 6
My Feedback: (1)

Adding a 2nd motor isn't gonna help you much. Start here- upgrade your trans with steel gears.All of them. Then getyourself a good 17-20t brushless setup. Run a 20-24t pinion, &n you should have what your looking for. Works everytime. 2 motors doubles your power, but wont change speed at all if you don't change gearing. Before you gut the thing, pop a 24t pinion on your 27t motor, & see wutcha think.