Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

Sunfirefoot's CC-01 Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Sunfirefoot's CC-01 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Sunfirefoot
My Feedback: (30)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sunfirefoot's CC-01 Build Thread

Hey!! I'm looking into getting a CC-01 kit from tamiya. I have done several other builds and have a few questions about this kit.

1. Suspension mods, Ckrc makes a 4-link kit, anyone use it? Also aftermarket shocks that will improve its performance?

2. How capable is it for moderate trail's with a few rocks?

3. The diffs, the rear one can be locked but what about the front?
If so, how?

4. Overall is this a decent scaler for its price?

I own a SCX10 Honcho and a wraith, both perform excellent. This CC-01 will be just for fun and for its real scale looks. The trail it will be used on has smaller rocks, medium rocks, a rocky creek and awesome lyme stone structures. Thank you in advance for your input!!!
Old 03-20-2012, 09:36 PM
PistonHead29
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sunfirefoot's CC-01 Build Thread

I took one in on trade and drove it around my shop but not on the trail. I would imagine they are aimed at noobs getting into crawling. But your question about upgrading the links i would say yes a must. I wondered about all the stuff those plastic arms would catch on. I took and added integy axle wideners, threw on 1.9 wheels with 1.9 flatirons and full axial electronics. I would imagine you could have fun if you cared to put the time into building on one. The shocks mine had were alloy adjustable shocks similar to the Losi MRC pro kit ones, I would go that route if the ones on the stock kits are crummy ones. I wondered about lifting mine a bit so it would clear stuff without issue but i never took the time to building on it. I traded it off. Good luck on the build hope the axle widener idea is helpful to you. The kit is about $20 or so at CK, RPP
Old 03-21-2012, 04:50 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: Sunfirefoot

Hey!! I'm looking into getting a CC-01 kit from tamiya. I have done several other builds and have a few questions about this kit.

1. Suspension mods, Ckrc makes a 4-link kit, anyone use it? Also aftermarket shocks that will improve its performance?

2. How capable is it for moderate trail's with a few rocks?

3. The diffs, the rear one can be locked but what about the front?
If so, how?

4. Overall is this a decent scaler for its price?

I own a SCX10 Honcho and a wraith, both perform excellent. This CC-01 will be just for fun and for its real scale looks. The trail it will be used on has smaller rocks, medium rocks, a rocky creek and awesome lyme stone structures. Thank you in advance for your input!!!
1. No, I don't have experience with that upgrade 4 link set, but if I owned a cc01, I'd get it. While the stock plastic 4 links aren't bad, the upgrade looks even more solid. The skidplate would also help to protect the underside.

2.Good for trail driving provided you use the included locker in the rear diff.

3.While it doesn't come with a locker for the front, people often lock the diffs by placing one of the three spider gears in between the other two.

4.I would say so. I've driven my brother's quite a few times and am tempted to by one of my own. They are fun little trucks.

From a true to scale standpoint It's one of the best trucks out there because the narrow width allows you to keep the tires in the wheel wells like most 1:1 trucks.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:45 AM
Sunfirefoot

Thanks guys!!! I ordered up a 73' Bronco CC-01 kit yesterday along with the 4-link kit. Can't wait to build it up and see what it does. Also I watched a YouTube video on a suspension mod that I will try, the poster of the video called it "Magic Link Chassis" it's pretty simple and seemed make a huge difference in the rear suspension.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Sunfirefoot

As for the front diff I was thinking of just JB Welding the heck out of it, I know it's not reversible but what good do unlocked diffs serve on a trail rig anyway?
Old 03-21-2012, 11:22 AM
The Mad Modder

Thanks guys!!! I ordered up a 73' Bronco CC-01 kit yesterday along with the 4-link kit. Can't wait to build it up and see what it does. Also I watched a YouTube video on a suspension mod that I will try, the poster of the video called it ''Magic Link Chassis'' it's pretty simple and seemed make a huge difference in the rear suspension.
Nice. The bronco is probably my favorite version of the cc01 chassis. I found that magic link video, it's a really good idea. It helps suspension travel and isn't even visible from outside the truck.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:13 PM
Sunfirefoot

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

Thanks guys!!! I ordered up a 73' Bronco CC-01 kit yesterday along with the 4-link kit. Can't wait to build it up and see what it does. Also I watched a YouTube video on a suspension mod that I will try, the poster of the video called it ''Magic Link Chassis'' it's pretty simple and seemed make a huge difference in the rear suspension.
Nice. The bronco is probably my favorite version of the cc01 chassis. I found that magic link video, it's a really good idea. It helps suspension travel and isn't even visible from outside the truck.
Yep that's what i thought, and any surface RC hobbyist can perform the "Magic Link" all you need is a 70-80mm pair of shocks.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:25 AM
Sunfirefoot

I heard that the stock tires are too hard so last night off of EBay I found (4) 1.9 axial walker Evans black wheels and chrome center caps for $10 (free shipping) and (4) Losi MRC 1.9 Rock Claws for $9.87 shipped. $20 for a set of complete wheels?? Awesome find!! Now if my kit would just hurry up LOL!!!
Old 03-25-2012, 07:21 PM
Sunfirefoot

Well sadly my Kit Still isn't here, but i got my tires and unexpectedly found another sweet set for the low cost of free!!! My sister was throwing out some old toys and in the pile was a maisto rock crawler, well i sat staring at it and then it clicked!!! Those are close to a 1.9 ID!!! They fit great on the Walker Evans 1.9 wheels and are soft enough to be used!! The ones mounted in the pics are off the maisto.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sq45571.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	1742886   Click image for larger version

Name:	dy79962.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	1742887   Click image for larger version

Name:	va72860.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	1742888   Click image for larger version

Name:	ib83097.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	1742889  
Old 03-26-2012, 10:54 AM
The Mad Modder

At least you don't have to worry about not having enough tires
Old 03-26-2012, 09:29 PM
Sunfirefoot

Right LOL!!!!
Old 03-27-2012, 07:49 PM
Sunfirefoot

Finally my kit came!!! Its all Built up, modded up and ready for some fun!! The build was super easy as were the mods. The mods i did were:

Body lift
Chopped The "Brick wall"
Filed the steering knuckles
Fabricated a custom skid
JunFac 4-link set with a Center Skid (CKRCCrawlers.com sells them)

I tried it out in my house over some junk, and i will have to say i'm very excited to see its capabilities!!

Old 03-29-2012, 09:10 PM
Sunfirefoot

More Mods!!

"Magic Link" suspension found off Youtube

Trashed the servo saver and put a standard servo horn on with Traxxas ball ends, 100% difference

More Lights

New bumpers, i took the stock bumper and raised it, and added the big brush bumper

Added a tire carrier

Old 03-31-2012, 12:28 PM
The Mad Modder

Finally my kit came!!! Its all Built up, modded up and ready for some fun!! The build was super easy as were the mods. The mods i did were:

Wow, that was quick.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:19 PM
Sunfirefoot

Yes Sir, I have too much time on my hands lol and when i get a kit i take my time building it fast!!! Took it out today for the 1st off-road experience and holy wow!!! I friggin Love this thing!!! It reminds me of my dad's 1:1 76' Bronco and it flexes so perfectly, I was so stoked about it, I went to snap a pic of it by the creek and dropped my Iphone in LOL!! Thank god for full device insurance!!