Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Axial Ridgecrest

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 06:25 PM
Juicebag31

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axial Ridgecrest

I bought a Ridgecrest about a month ago. So far my experiences with this RC has not been that great. First off it was already broke when I took it out of the box. I sent it in to hobby services and they returned it about 3 weeks later fixed. I believe they replaced the transmitter and receiver. Two days ago I had the chance to get some run time in after I got it back in the mail, and I was literally crawling over a small rock in my yard and the right steering knuckle broke. I wasn't going fast or abusing it, I was in my yard for crying out loud. I went to my LHS and bought new Vanquish steering knuckles, and while there they stated yeah those Axial knuckles would break just starring at them.
The next day while undoing the screws that hold on the existing knuckles to the C-hub I noticed that the screws were loose and already seemed to be stripped. I installed the Vanquish knuckles went into the yard and did some laps which soon there after my left tire was barely hanging on by the only screw that would stay into the stock C-hubs.
This is my first dip into the RC world, and I figured that when you buy something for 309.99 that is should at least be able to do the bare minimum that it's intended use was for. Such as doing laps in the grass in the back yard, or going over small obstacles. Thus far I have purchased the Ridgecrest which was broke out of the box, Vanquish steering knuckles for 40.00, and now I'm probably going to have to buy new C-hubs. At this point I'm feeling ripped off and regretful that I purchased an Axial product. That's a bummer too, because I was liking the Honcho as well, and now I'm thinking what's the point. Here's a pic of the rock I broke it on. I would think twice about buying an Axial product, at least the Ridgecrest.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:55 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Axial Ridgecrest

That's too bad.  I've got an Axial Honcho with a Novak brushless system and haven't had a single problem.  I even have the predator
track system installed on it during the winter and have never had any issues with linkages of any type.  Was it RTR or a kit you had
to assemble?  I never trust RTR...you have no idea how it was built, ie thread lock use, screw tightness, etc.  Remember these things break, for me that's half the fun of r/c is wrenching and modding.  Don't give up on Axial yet, they sell a good product.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:15 AM
The Mad Modder

I'm really hoping that it's just that you got a lemon and not a drop in quality. They were bought out by hobbico late last year...[]
Old 06-02-2012, 02:42 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

where did you buy it from?
Also sure it wasn't a return someone screwed up that the shop just didn't replace a few damaged parts, and put it up as new? I'll be honest I've seen hobby shops(and other places) pull crap like that put up a damaged return as new resealing the box.
I wouldn't doubt if they broke the knuckle repairing it which is why I do my own work on everything. I would have E-mailed axial and said what was broken, and got replacements sent to me and repaired it. Seen too many places that you take something in for repair strip screws, and jam it back together any old way just so it holds long enough for you to use it once or twice. Most things I've taken things apart(VCR's, PC's, ETC) that were sent in for repairs I find 80% of screws, and parts were either missing or they stripped the holes...
Old 06-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Juicebag31

I purchased it from my local Hobbytown. They just got them stock right before I got there. Even Rc Squid had issues with screws spontaneously falling out during there review.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:54 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Juicebag31

I purchased it from my local Hobbytown. They just got them stock right before I got there. Even Rc Squid had issues with screws spontaneously falling out during there review.
wow that sounds bad.
one reason I like to buld it myself seen way too many ppl have issues with RTR's. Remember one member posting that he had screws laying in the box on one vehicle (think it was a traxxas or HPI)
Old 06-04-2012, 06:42 PM
eindecker 3

When I buy a RTR of anysort I go thru it with a fine tooth comb to find any loose/broken parts before it goes out on its first run.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:23 AM
The Mad Modder

That's one of the reasons I don't like rtr's. That and they take away the fun of building it the first time.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:37 PM
Juicebag31

So since my last posts I email Axial which in return I recieved Axial aluminum c-hubs and some screws in the mail. Which was really nice. I installed them yesterday. I took the truck out today and went out onto a dirt/gravel road to run the truck. While running the truck I started to hear a horrible grinding/squealing noise, and the truck hardly had any power to it. I got home, took it apart, and found that the pinion was not tightened snugly enough and was sliding back and forth. So now my plastic spur gear is stripped badly and the truck will not run properly.

Lets sum this up! The Axial Ridgecrest was broken upon purchase, Then, right when I got it back, a steering knuckle broke which I replaced. Then the screws holding the new steering knuckles wouldn't hold onto the stock c-hubs because they were stripped from the factory, which Axial/Hobbico replaced. Now I have a stripped spur gear.

Who ever put this truck together did not do a good job.

Think twice before buying this truck.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:01 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

So since my last posts I email Axial which in return I recieved Axial aluminum c-hubs and some screws in the mail. Which was really nice. I installed them yesterday. I took the truck out today and went out onto a dirt/gravel road to run the truck. While running the truck I started to hear a horrible grinding/squealing noise, and the truck hardly had any power to it. I got home, took it apart, and found that the pinion was not tightened snugly enough and was sliding back and forth. So now my plastic spur gear is stripped badly and the truck will not run properly.

Lets sum this up! The Axial Ridgecrest was broken upon purchase, Then, right when I got it back, a steering knuckle broke which I replaced. Then the screws holding the new steering knuckles wouldn't hold onto the stock c-hubs because they were stripped from the factory, which Axial/Hobbico replaced. Now I have a stripped spur gear.

Who ever put this truck together was an ass!

This is the worst purchase I have ever made! Think twice before buying this truck.
Sorry to hear of your bad experience with the Ridgecrest.

What was broken when you purchased it? Where did you buy it from?
Old 06-14-2012, 03:24 PM
Juicebag31

The radio tx/rx had to be replaced. I bought it from my local hobbytown.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:26 PM
t9dragon

Which Hobbytown?
Old 06-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Juicebag31

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

Which Hobbytown?

Wilsonville Hobbytown

Old 06-14-2012, 04:46 PM
t9dragon

Wilsonville Hobbytown
That is to bad... They should have refunded you your money or given you a new one.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:43 AM
Juicebag31

Even thought my Ridgecrest has had so many issues, I still have to hand it to Axial! I may not buy another Axial product, but they have replaced every broken part, even the spur gear.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:19 AM
gforce2448
My Feedback: (12)

I have regularly visited Wilsonville Hobbytown. They are not very giving when it comes to refunds. I only go there anymore for emergency part needs and also check out the new RCs in person, then find a better deal online. The only new RC I bought from that Hobbytown was a Helion Animus last year. Same thing...got it home and it wouldn't work. Couldn't get the radio to link with the receiver. So I took it back. The kid at that Hobbytown spent 20 mins trying to do the same thing...finally gave up and they gave me the radio from their demo truck which would bind to the truck.

Sorry to hear about the quality of your Ridgecrest. I bought my first Axial product a couple of months ago as well. Got a Wraith kit. But I did build it up myself. Had one minor flaw in a part when I built it but that was easily fixed. So far haven't broken anything and have taken it on some hard trails. I think Axial's quality is great and was thinking my next RC would be Axial.

Love your Silverado body on your Ridgecrest by the way!!!
Old 06-29-2012, 01:39 PM
barney 5
My Feedback: (231)

sorry for your experiance with the ridgecrest, if i didn't build it i check every screw on it including the set screw on the pinion. i had a few bad eggs when i first got started a long time ago and it cost me money that shouldn't have been spent. axial actually imo makes great rigs. i have had 3 wraiths, 2 i built and a trail honcho. i have an xr10 coming any day now. i have never had an issue with their rigs. strip it down and assemble it then your assured everything is tight besides working on them is as fun as running them right! good luck...