Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Convert slash 4x2 into 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 08:35 AM
Tacomatom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convert slash 4x2 into 4x4

I bought a slash 4x2 that was converted into a rock crawler. I did not realize it lacked one item. 4x4. What is necessary to convert it into a 4x4? I am new to the hobby and am need of guidance.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:07 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Convert slash 4x2 into 4x4

ORIGINAL: Tacomatom

I bought a slash 4x2 that was converted into a rock crawler. I did not realize it lacked one item. 4x4. What is necessary to convert it into a 4x4? I am new to the hobby and am need of guidance.
I gotta see pics!

Its not an easy task to turn a 2wd slash (or rusty or pede) into a 4x4. But it has been done. The general way is to bolt another trans to the front and run 2 motors. There is a fair bit of work to be done. The arms have to be custom to fit the trans and still have steering hubs. The steering assembly has to be modded to fit around the trans case and front body mounts have to be custom as well.

Long story short, its not very practical. What you will get in the end (after spending at least $100) is a semi capable offroader. Im sure you already know that a independant suspension doesnt work as well as solid axles. There is less clearance.

Im not trying to diswade you. If you want to take on the task then do so! Custom jobs are cool IMO, even if they are not practical.

here are a few pics I found of custom 4wd pedes
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64962.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	1813416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47258.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1813417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot49378.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1813418  
Old 10-21-2012, 02:18 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What do u mean by converted into a rock crawler?

Personally I wouldent even bother, so manny reasons why not to
Old 10-21-2012, 05:21 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

will agree with phax

also have the same question as I do not see any way possible to do that. Unless they slapped a slow ass motor in it with a truck body and just said ITS A ROCK CRAWLER, but then again I could say my buggy is a rock crawler in the same manner.

Rock crawlers have solid axles, (generally) locked diffs, 4wd, and usually tons of torque.

As I can not for the life of me see how they would add a solid axle to the rear of a slash(outside that one expensive rc4wd kit) its not a crawler.

IF you really want a crawler sell the slash, and buy a crawler or something like the wheelyking which can be made into one easy(or could buy the crawler king to have it done already).
Old 10-22-2012, 04:21 AM
The Mad Modder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it still uses the stock slash chassis, chances are it's not a crawler.

Either way, we need some pics to know how this thing was modified. How else can we know what needs to be changed?