Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Cheap SCX10 Honcho scale mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 01:32 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cheap SCX10 Honcho scale mods

I thought i would share some progress im having with my honcho

I was never a fan of the position of the stock tail lights so i got some lexan and cut out a small peice to hold the light housing that were in the spare part trees and painted the lexan with tamiya black polycarbonate paint. Then ive used some Alclad II chrome for the inside of the housings & the lense has been coloured with tamiya translucent paint. Im very happy with the result, IMO it gives it more detail. Ive fitted a Led controller, but im having problems with that... nother story, but its workedout well, ive now fitted white reverse LED's to where the tail lights use to be.

Next ive been eyeing off a scale looking snorkle, but they are so darn expensive. so.... a pair of plyers, old plastic coat hanger and a hot flame, I was able to make my own

Lastly, In think it makes the wheels "pop" more, but I painted the wheel nuts, hub lock nuts and the hub locks red. allso did the lettering ont he spot lights to resemble the real thing.Its starting to wear of, but im happy to touch it up once in a while

Furure plans, more scale looking winch hook, and a new body with light buclets and a custom 1997 Australian toyota Turbo diesel Hilux sticker set.
then ill look into geting a cockpit, ive allready got 2 WWF figures for it... on clearance for $3 each

Old 02-28-2013, 04:24 AM
littlemel
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cheap SCX10 Honcho scale mods

I recently got one of these too.   I panited the wheel "nuts" and the front hub as a locker.  Iike the snorkle look.  Was yours a kit?
Old 02-28-2013, 06:32 PM
phmaximus

nar m8, mine was RTR, At the time I got mine the Honcho was only available as RTR and the kit was the dingo, I really wanted the kit version. but i went with the honcho because it was only $100 more than the dingo and came with ESC, motor, led kit and servo. Im spewing tho, the honcho rtr doesent have front light buckets like the kit does... no fair lol
Old 02-28-2013, 09:25 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nice tail lights I've been tempted to do something similar

wish the dingo was the kit when I got mine as I got the honcho kit

and those headlight stickers suck :P
I've ALWAYS hated headlight stickers on RC's

also if you want a decent looking light rack for the roof I used a RPM light rack I think it was off a merv would upload a pic of mine but the server is giving me 500 errors
Old 02-28-2013, 10:45 PM
phmaximus

cheerz man, I couldn't believe how effective it was. Ive put it up for people to copy, its a cheap easy mod.

I just use some clear plastic from some packaging, held it in and choped away, then when u have one side perfect, use it as a template for the other side. oh and dont forget to paint the front of the plastic so when u glue it, its not gluing through paint, I just used super glue, Tarzan grip (very close to sho goo) dident hold. lasted about 10min with my kids lol

good luck, I hope someone finds this useful.

u know what u mean about light stickers, biggest downfall of RTR vehicles. mine looks silly, cant wait to get a new cab for it.

when/if I get the lights working ill have to post a video, it looks so cool. its very glitchy, but ill give u a run down anyway.
it turns on the brake lights when stationary (because it has no brakes only drag brake)
left and right turning signals when turning
reverse lights when going backward
im leaving the spot lights and headlights allways on for now until i can connect up a electronic switch, but then i was thinking I could use that switch for the rear lights aswell
I could get a higher rated resistor so they are not so bright, then if I put a diode on the feed from the electronic switch and one from the feed from the controller, it would have dual intensity brake lights....

Does that sound about right???? im a hoping
Old 02-28-2013, 10:49 PM
phmaximus

here is the kit i got, all up $15.66 including postage..... damm cheap eh?
[link=http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/180975698414?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_4463wt_906]here[/link]
Old 02-28-2013, 11:39 PM
FuelCoupe

That looks great, at first thought I was looking at a real thing. Some details on the kit would be nice. Thanks for the link to the leds too, made my own up for an old body and what a nighhtmare that was, does the light kit include a strobe light or option for strobe lights, or is the flashing limited to the indicators, bit hard to tell from the instructions.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:36 PM
phmaximus

ummmmm ill have to get back to u on that one. but i dont think it does strobes... only indicators
Old 03-21-2013, 03:15 AM
phmaximus

Here is a little update, Ive now fitted a slightly shortened RPM SCT style light bar, RC4WD Hilux mirrors and wiper arms, Cut out drivers window to look partially wound down, and ive fitted 2 Axial spot lights for cargo light. now I have the fun of wiring it all up []

Old 06-11-2013, 08:22 PM
sourherndirtdogs66

nice!!! I want sum piaa lights for my tundra...nice mods keep it up any more post as I like the truggys...