Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

G I Joe Jeep / HPI Crawler King battery

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

G I Joe Jeep / HPI Crawler King battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 04:25 PM
rzingsheim
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: G I Joe Jeep / HPI Crawler King battery

No video yet. I have a friend who takes great rc airplane videos and I'm hoping he can do one of the jeep. If so I'll post it.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:47 AM
KID_EVIL!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I spoke out of turn.................... DELETE!!
Old 07-01-2013, 06:06 AM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That would be cool i would like to see how your moves. I am always interested in seeing how people set up their scale projects and see how they move and what kind of power various setups have

ORIGINAL: rzingsheim

No video yet. I have a friend who takes great rc airplane videos and I'm hoping he can do one of the jeep. If so I'll post it.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:59 PM
rzingsheim

OK, I finally had time to do some real field testing. I had 2ea. 4200 mah NiMH batteries that were charged up about a week ago. I decided to put one on the charger to top it off and run the other for a while, while the first one got charged up. The battery on the charger took 850 mah so the battery I put in the jeep was down about that much also. This is what I got out of the un-topped off battery in the jeep. Total time 1hr 15min without turning the receiver off. Total run time 60 min. It wasn't dead but it's getting dark here. I would run it for about 10 min. and stop to inspect the troops for 2-3 min. I did this over and over again for the total time. I ran it on my lawn which is by no means smooth. The first 30 min. of run time I ran just the jeep. It was still going very well so hooked the trailer on for the next 30 min. of actual run time. It didn't seem to make any difference. I drove it around at about 2-3 mph ( a slow to medium walk ). This equates to about 18 mph at full scale. Perfect for parade ground inspection. Every once in a while I would run it at about 8-10 mph (45mph scale) on a hard surface. When I checked things out during the stop periods the battery was a little above room temperature. The motor was what I would describe as a hot bath temp maybe 120 deg?. I could rest my fingers on the heat sink of the speed control. It felt very warm and was a little uncomfortable but I don't think it would have burned me. I have no clue what temp that equates to. I don't have a heet gun (yet!). After this test I think I'm just going to stay with the NiMH I have. Everything else on the jeep held up perfectly. Nothing broke and nothing fell off. I was unsure of either of these results until I actually ran it. As soon as I can arange it, I'll get some video. I am one happy camper ( or is that trooper ! ) Also... It's quite interesting backing up a trailer !!!
Old 07-01-2013, 06:15 PM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bravo!!
Yeah, don't change a thing. But do keep your eye on the heat on ESC as the motor is run in more and dirties up the com. You don't really need that much more run time, do ya? It's amazing how far any decent mAh battery including including the NiMH will go with the slow pace of scale and competition rock crawlers. I can easily get 2-3 8gate comp runs one of my 65c 850mAh 3s lipos with 2 16t double wind 5pole brushed motors wing driven by both of the deceased tekin fxrs and castle BEC set to 7.4 volts! And now i guess i need to include the high amp draw Hitec HS7980 servo taking the 7.4vlts at right around6-7 amps in a bind! whew!! too much info?? And that's one of the technical aspects of scale and competition crawling that I have a passion for. Long run times on small batts.
And your right backing up the short wheelbase trailer and smaller scale does not translate easily does it? The longer boat trailers are easier but still a challenge at the smaller scale and "out-of-body" perspective.
I say this build a great success! You did well, I would like to seem more, if plan to build more! God I hate that I sound like a fanboy right there!! Lol
Old 07-02-2013, 02:30 AM
KID_EVIL!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, run times on my crawler (55t motor, ummmm 16t pinion....) I was getting a good couple hours with a 5000 mah nimh. Although..... I've ran low on nimh. I run 5000 lipos now.

I take it you haven't done much for hills or any serious terrain yet?
Old 07-02-2013, 04:40 AM
rzingsheim

Thanks for the kind words. If Idid change the speed control, staying with the brushed 55t motor, Any suggestions? Would the main benefit be running cooler? Something with a fan? Th answer Kid Evel, No I haven't done any steep hills or rough terrain yet anlhough it will easily drive up the flip down door of a trailer with pretty good changes where the gate meets the ground and the trauler itself . I probably won't do anything real rough.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:00 PM
rzingsheim

Video!
I had a friend shoot some video of the jeep at our flying field. Some cool shots of General Bradley inspecting some of the aircraft. This is all just slow speed stuff. It will go pretty fast wide open. If I get a chance later I'll get some video of hills and stuff. Here's the link. http://youtu.be/pHpCjk1VVsQ