Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Axial SCX-10 Question

Old 12-06-2013, 10:51 AM
blueliner34

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axial SCX-10 Question

Hey,

I was thinking about getting into rc crawling and trail riding and found the Axial SCX-10. I really like the looks of this rig and the price isn't too bad. I was wondering if down the road I ever wanted to go a little faster and got bored with crawling can a faster motor and battery be put in this truck to make it more multi purpose? Im not looking to do 30mph plus just maybe faster than 8 to 10. I really like the look of the scale trucks but may desire a more versatile truck. Is there a truck out on the market that might better suit these needs? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:12 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

scale trucks generally don't handle high speeds well
The Wraith probably would work better, but still it wouldn't be optimal, and would stress it
Wraith goes about 13mph stock, I think the SCX10 does something like 7-8mph

In all honesty might be best to get 2 different vehicles one for the crawling/trail riding, and one when you get the speed urge. Like I have RC's for different task, and driving surfaces.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:43 PM
blueliner34

good advice....thats what I was thinking, I guess Ill have to get the crawler now and when I can afford another car ill scratch that itch later....thanks for the reply
Old 12-16-2013, 05:05 PM
Alpha Male
My Feedback: (11)

There are so many pluses to the Axial trucks that I rarely advise anoyone to buy anything else! Replacement parts and upgrades are readyily available all over the Internet. I have three heavily modified SCX10s with hard bodies and a modified Wraith as well. I love them all! Every one of them has the stock motor and ESC and they are a blast, but I'm putting a brushless system in my Wraith for just what you're describing; a bit more speed. The trouble is that faster means more roll-overs and more power means steel outdrives and steel gears in the tranny, plus upgraded driveshafts. Those things are always good ideas for upgrades anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_csDD8Er9OI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrrYlamkn6U

Last edited by Alpha Male; 12-16-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:31 PM
blueliner34

Well I broke down and got the scx10 Rubicon. Ive been having a blast driving it and Im impressed how capable it is right out of the box. I got the axial aluminum 4 link kit w/ steering stabilizer. I installed the links but havent driven it anywhere real taxing since then so Im not sure how big of an impact. I just ordered the a level3 steering servo chassis mount with pan hard. I didn't like the looks of the servo mounted on the front axle so Ill mount it when it gets here. I was wondering about aluminum drive shafts and aftermarket shocks.....any recommendations?
Old 12-16-2013, 07:43 PM
Alpha Male

For steel driveshafts, you can't beat the price of $28.90, shipped for these Cappu Hardened Steel Universal Drive Shafts that you can find on Ebay. Shipping takes about two weeks from China, but the quality is really good. I have three sets. As for shocks, I stick with the stock shocks, myself.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	shafts.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	1948126  
Old 12-16-2013, 07:48 PM
Alpha Male

I bought the Rubicon, myself, but have since changed it to a hard body Hummer. Its too bad you didn't get the new Axial AX90034 1/10 SCX10 Jeep Wrangler G6! I believe it has different shocks from the other SCX10 chassis.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	1948128  
Old 12-17-2013, 08:50 AM
blueliner34

thanks for the tips alpha, much appreciated