Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

huge 8x8x8 custom rig

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 06:22 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default huge 8x8x8 custom rig

I was searching 8x8x8 on youtube as I am considering building a Tatra style one out of 2 redcat RS10 trucks.

Then I found this video....where the guy built one out of 2 Redcat 1/8 scale crawlers! And even tho it is MOA, he managed a very scale look, plus, it is HUGE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvXQlTF8KJA
Old 01-29-2014, 01:07 PM
Jado 6
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The moa thing would bother me for a scale build. Big time. But if you already have everything, then no loss. But if your gonna have to get stuff, ditch the redcats & get axials. They work great for this, & the shafts coming out of both sides of the center punkin looks sweet as hell!
Old 01-29-2014, 01:12 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Originally Posted by Jado 6
The moa thing would bother me for a scale build. Big time. But if you already have everything, then no loss. But if your gonna have to get stuff, ditch the redcats & get axials. They work great for this, & the shafts coming out of both sides of the center punkin looks sweet as hell!
I don't disagree with the points you make....but you are also talking double the cost.
would run $300 for 1 axial truck....plus $100 more for 2 extra axles. Then add 4 more shocks, driveshafts, a motor with more torque (or maybe duel motor setup) plus 4 more wheels/tires and you will get above $500 pretty quick. And that's before custom frame and body.

A pair of redcat RS10s will cost me $265. And then I would just need a custom frame/body. Plus Id have a radio I could resell for $50 or so.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:13 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I see what u are saying about price... but nothing beats having a mechanical link from each diff to diff...

Moa crawlers can suck if at times. example... in the video then he went up that small hill... SCX10 would of easily of made that incline....
because there is no mechanical link some of the wheels can start to slip and and spin considerably faster than the other drive wheels....
For that issue people run a ESC on each motor and channel mixing or some kind of electronic DIG unit.

I don't think currently there is a controller that can really do that.

When my Clod was running with only 1 ESC I would get that problem on steep climbs. the front would completely loose traction and it would bog down, if I was to increase the throttle it would make the front wheel spin so fast the front end would drift all over the place making the climb impossible

With the weight divided over 8 wheels. I think the problem would be even worse..
Old 03-10-2014, 05:48 PM
Barracuz

Or just look on ebay you can get a tatra 6x6 crawler for 589.00 plus 90 shipping:

just search for 6x6 rc tatra
Old 03-11-2014, 10:06 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Barracuz
Or just look on ebay you can get a tatra 6x6 crawler for 589.00 plus 90 shipping:

just search for 6x6 rc tatra
still missing an axle
6wd is easy to do 8wd isn't so easy.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:43 PM
Barracuz

Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM
still missing an axle
6wd is easy to do 8wd isn't so easy.
Yea.. but you're already 3/4 of the way there!

I guess you can get one of the tamiya truck axles and mod it on there...

Edit:

Or you can buy this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301068686455...455%26_rdc%3D1

Last edited by Barracuz; 03-11-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:12 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by Barracuz
Yea.. but you're already 3/4 of the way there!

I guess you can get one of the tamiya truck axles and mod it on there...

Edit:

Or you can buy this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301068686455...455%26_rdc%3D1
I'm going to be completely honest the 3 people that bought that have way more money then common sense...
Its actually sickening to see people have that much cash to piss away on one RC...
Old 03-12-2014, 12:20 PM
Barracuz

I'm going to be completely honest the 3 people that bought that have way more money then common sense...
Its actually sickening to see people have that much cash to piss away on one RC...
Well it certainly sickens me with envy...

But you have to admit that it will be the ultimate shelf queen!
Old 03-22-2014, 02:52 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

shelf queens are for rich, lazy people.....lol.
I get it is nice to have a sweet looking model on your shelf, but why bother to have a working one? why not just go with a static model?

well, I sold my RS10.

but, I picked up a exceed mad torque. a model which in the past I made a 1/6 scale crawler truck out of.

im trying to find a second used mad torque. if I can, there is my 8x8x8.

if money wasn't an issue, I wouldn't even make a thread, Id just go buy a $600-$1000 kit. But money is, and yet I still would love a 8x8 monster crawling machine.

I paid $130 for the RTR mad torque. if I get a second for the same price im at $260 and will have the needed wheels/axles and electronics.

I have also recently started building scratch built planes out of Dollar Tree foam board. It is easy stuff to work with and can be made pretty tough. I may try to build a tatra/ man kat style cab out of the stuff. it can be painted or even glassed, but goes to together with just hot glue. Im not saying it would be easy to build a good looking cab out of the stuff, but could be easier than working with metal.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:10 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by nitrosportsandrunner
I may try to build a tatra/ man kat style cab out of the stuff. it can be painted or even glassed, but goes to together with just hot glue. Im not saying it would be easy to build a good looking cab out of the stuff, but could be easier than working with metal.
Funny thing been contemplating building a cab for my 6wd wheelie king which is getting a scratch built chassis soon(basing the design off a SCX10) as I'm gonna turn it more into a scaler. Was contemplating geting a tamiya unimog body, but that thing is too narrow, and would look stupid, also contemplating a honcho cab, but I kinda wanted the military look though.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:47 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Funny thing been contemplating building a cab for my 6wd wheelie king which is getting a scratch built chassis soon(basing the design off a SCX10) as I'm gonna turn it more into a scaler. Was contemplating geting a tamiya unimog body, but that thing is too narrow, and would look stupid, also contemplating a honcho cab, but I kinda wanted the military look though.
ive felt that aftermarket body companies are sorely lacking in larger scale bodies.
sure, there is plenty of good bodies for 1.9 wheel machines, but not bodies for the 2.2 or larger trucks. you either hack the fenders or jack the body way up.

and even if you do that, the wheels often stick out way beyond the body. how hard is it to simply make bodies larger...so that bigger tires will still look scale?

and military bodies are practically non-existent.

here is the kind of body I would LOVE to be able to build....but it is way out of my fabrication skill level

I mean, imagine that cab in size for 1/8 scale crawler wheels!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	1980556