Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

SCX10 Center Gravity

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 08:36 PM
DieHarder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCX10 Center Gravity

I need to know where the center of gravity is on a SCX10 G6 or the like. Not the center of gravity hieght wise, but from front to back. Like how far from the front bumper back can you balance the vehicle evenly over a point. It doesn't have to be exact, just roughly within an inch of the actual center of gravity. Side to side center of gravity isn't very important for the project, just front to back. You see, I will soon be getting an SCX10 G6 and I need the COG for a project concerning it. I couldn't find anything on the web. If you know of somewhere that it is listed, please share. Also, if you measure the COG using a stock SCX10, that would be great. It doesn't have to be a G6, just an old stock SCX10.

Thanks,
Nate
Old 03-25-2014, 12:38 PM
zackS30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the battery and esc are more forwards.
Is that what u mean? I can measure when I gett home.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:41 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

CG....are you trying to make it fly? LOL

Depending on what you Need the CG to be, you will likely be able to move the battery/esc/receiver around to get that CG. most people move the battery forward so that the weight is more over the front axle.
The other option is Lead stick-on weights to get the CG you want.

Either way, no matter where the CG is stock, you will be able to adjust the CG pretty easy.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:54 PM
DieHarder

Well I need to know for where exactly front to back I should mount my leaf springs on my trailer that I'm building for it. (Yeah, I know. Cart before the horse...) I would probably mount my battery up front and everything else where it says to in the manual.

Zack: Yes, that's what I mean. As if you were measuring the CG of an airplane. I don't want to change the SCX10 CG, but build the trailer to match the SCX10 CG instead. Actually, instead of measuring from the front/rear bumper, if you could measure from the center of the rear wheel forward. Like for example: The CG is 6.5" from the center of the rear wheel. That's just an example number that I threw in. Think maybe you could measure that? It would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:32 PM
zackS30

I hope this is what u meant. I got ~11" from rear axle to about midways on the battery. The servo is right underneath and esc, receiver is right there too. Also from the ground to just under the battery is 4.5"
Hope that helps if u need another measurement ill try to help.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140326_162400.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	694.0 KB
ID:	1981701  
Old 03-26-2014, 07:18 PM
DieHarder

Thanks! So let me make sure here. If you take your finger and lift the truck up from the bottom of the chassis at 11" from the rear axle, the front, back, and center are all level and the whole truck balances over your finger? Thanks.

DH
Old 03-26-2014, 09:53 PM
zackS30

Ok I got it. Wasnt quite sure what u meant that point from the rear axle is 7.5"
The body is not on when I measured. With body on its like 6.5-7".. From the rear axle.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:51 AM
rcguy1411

It will change from truck to truck i got the rtr rubicon And the battery mounts in the back of the truck as opposed to the one in the pic so depending on where and what electronics you run i would say a scx 10 will balance about mid chasy
Old 03-27-2014, 07:07 AM
zackS30

Yeah, its vert close to mid ways. Just a bit more forward on my honcho anyways.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:00 PM
DieHarder

Ok, thanks guys for being so helpful! Those measurements are exactly what I needed. I will be sure to put together a build thread when this is finished. This step of measuring and mounting the leaf springs is coming up soon in the plans, so I needed to get things figured out. Thanks again!