Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RC Trailer Leaf Springs

I'm building an RC trailer. It's a dual axle setup, and I plan on using leaf springs. The deck is 21"x12" with a 3.5"x12" tipped ramp. I'm almost finished building the full aluminum frame and will be soon cutting the deck from some finished plywood paneling. I am making my own shackles as I find purchasing them a complete waste of money. Eight little simple pieces is not worth $40 in my book... But I do need some leaf springs. I don't want to make my own, as I want them to look scale and proper. I also need them to be stiff enough to support a 5-7lb trail truck (Depending on the truck). Adjustability would be nice also, meaning I can change the leaf stack as in taking one out or adding one. I prefer not to spend more than $30. Yes, I did look at the Juggernaut leaf springs, but I couldn't find them for or less than $30. If anyone can find some at that price, PLEASE post it. Here are some other ones I saw:

Tamiya Hi-Lift: Spring A- http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPMH0&P=7 Spring B- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-Ameri...item19e960d3b1 Spring C- https://www.tamiyausa.com/product/it...uct-id=9808093 Spring D- http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPMH4&P=M I'm not sure if Spring E is supposed to be used or not. It's not listed in the Hi-Lift manual.

Gmade Sawback: Springs- http://www.gmade.net/vehicle/sawback...2309.html#main Ok, after searching here I did see some cheap shackles that might be worth the investment, I still might try making my own first.

I was hoping to get some info on how stiff each set is with which stack, what people think of the quality, which ones are thicker/better, what people think will work best, etc. Kind of like an open vote. I really like the price of the Sawback ones and how available they are, but I'm not sure if they are thick enough to be stiff enough. From the image I thought they looked thin. I'm also planning to run a decent speed, maybe 5-8mph. After reading, it sounds as if stiffer suspension is better for high speeds...

What do you guys think?
    If it works, take it apart, and find out why.

Evader ST | TL-01 MT | SCX10 G6 | Micro BL SCT | Pulse XT 25e | Black 10 | Radian | Alias | MCX2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Tamiya King Hauler/Mercedes leaf springs on ebay
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-1-14-...item2c7e93927c

Tamiya HI-Lux leaf springs on ebay, probably cheaper than tower.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-98080...item53fd23f657
    AAF # 111284-25
    A.C.E. member

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Maybe I didn't quite explain myself right. It's not a semi trailer. It is a flatbed trailer to be pulled behind my 1/10 TL-01 Monster Truck. I plan on hauling an SCX10 in the near future. I will get some pics up soon, but it's a lot like this one:

I watched this video where they mentioned that they use two stack leaf springs between 3:50 and 4:30:

But they didn't mention what leaf springs they used. So that's why I'm here. To me it looks like Leaf spring A and B from the Hi-Lift, but not for certain....

Evader ST | TL-01 MT | SCX10 G6 | Micro BL SCT | Pulse XT 25e | Black 10 | Radian | Alias | MCX2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    65 views and 1 reply, (excluding mine and this one) someone please tell me what's keeping everyone away. I need to order leaf springs tomorrow night. I thought I would have lots of replies. I thought there were a lot of people with Tamiya Hi-Lifts, TF2s, and Gmade Sawbacks.... Is there something I said that makes people feel unwelcomed? Sorry if I did. I'm a really nice guy if it makes any difference...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Ive found that this section isnt very responsive.
    Sorry for the lack of replys. I domt know anything about the trailers or I would help, im tryi.g to make my own trailer as well. By far the most difficult thing in rc ive done so far.
    Axial poison spyder wraith, axial exo terra, axial scx10 honcho, 13 xmods
    Fav. Quote... Only the dead have seen the end of war- plato

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hey, if you want to blend thoughts, ideas, and designs into building these things, shoot me a pm. I would like to see what your setup is. I currently have a whole bunch of Tamiya leaf springs on the way....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Essentially your looking for this? Maybe contact RC4WD and see if you can just get the leaf springs and mounts. Yea I know what your trying to build
    but you could use really any leaf springs as long as you can make mounting brackets. I brought up the King Hauler springs cause I'm thinking the Hi-lift springs will be too soft and the KH are more rigid too support it's own weight plus a trailer. Imagine putting your rig on top of a Hi-lift, thinking it's gonna bottom out the suspension since it's only designed to carry it's own weight You could even use one spring per side if you make a mount for both axles to pass through then attach to the center of the spring. All depends on if you want every wheel independently sprung or not. Good luck on your build and post up some pics when you can.
    http://store.rc4wd.com/BigDog-18-Dua...er_p_2964.html
    Last edited by TheBennyB; 03-27-2014 at 12:44 PM.
    AAF # 111284-25
    A.C.E. member

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    What axle setup do you plan on?

Here are some comparisons

1 Wedico trailer leaf on top
    2 Tamiya Semi axle leaf
    3 RC4WD red soft
    4 Tamiya High Lift
    5 RC4WD TF2

Leaf pack on top with helpers
    Helpers below

Without knowing what you want to do I can suggest the Wedico leaf setup, although it will cost you some $$..
    The upside is you can buy axles and mounts on the site also
    !!!You want to play, you got to pay!!!

http://www.gardentrucking.com/detail...rq=Driveline19

The kit comes with these three springs, bushings and bolts.
    With this setup it is easier to make your own spring hangers, you don't need a shackle, the open eye on the leaf will let the spring move easily

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140327_203552.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	590.0 KB 
ID:	1982175This is my curren set up(by far the worst thing ive ever done) and these are the weels I want to attach and the back of the wheels is how they were on an old rc truck. Ive yet to come with an idea to attach them.
    Last edited by zackS30; 03-27-2014 at 10:54 PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hmm... Interesting. That is very cool! Not everyone can be that creative. It takes a gifted person to be able to repurpose things and actually have it function.

How do the other wheels attach? Just to kind of compare how you did it before...
    Last edited by DieHarder; 03-28-2014 at 09:39 PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Zip ties and dowl rods lol.
    I try to as creative and cost affective as possible. Like when I made my roof rack, it was from a piece of tin that was laying around and I cut it then bent up the sides and dremeled out hole to attach things and used velcro to attach it to the roof to not cut up the body.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Could you drill a 1/4" deep hole the diameter of the dowl, in that plastic hub piece that's attached? Then stuff you dowl in there and glue it using the same zip tie setup?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    My god, diehard, ur a genius. Ill have to try that.
    I did get the 2 wheels attached that had the metal peice coming out. Looks a bit wierd but hell I dont care the trailer is just to pull my rs10 mainly.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140329_210627.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	610.0 KB 
ID:	1982641Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140329_210642.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	654.0 KB 
ID:	1982644