Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

SCX10 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 09:03 PM
Rogerh1174

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCX10 Questions

I am going to buy the SCX10 Dingo kit very soon. Are there any upgrades that should be done to the kit while building it for durability or better performance? I have done lots of crawling with a tamiya CR01, and that needed steel driveshafts to make it reliable. on the SCX10 are there any weak points? also can you fit 2.2 wheels and tires with the Dingo body? Thanks!

Roger
Old 06-11-2014, 11:05 AM
gforce2448
My Feedback: (12)

I don't think you need to upgrade anything. The kit already has aluminum links. Everyone will have their own opinion but I think it's just best to upgrade parts as it seems fit. Everyone has their own driving style. There isn't anything that I know of that will immediately break on the SCX-10, it's a solid truck. I'd just wait and replace parts for better performance as you need them. A lot easier on the wallet that way. : )

2.2s won't fit on the Dingo without removing the fender flares or doing some cutting. Will definitely bind up on the body. My wife's SCX-10 Rubicon has 2.2 tires but its fenders are more open...just needed to raise the body to clear the tires and have a wider offset wheel as some wheels will rub the hubs or steering arm. Also, when going with larger tires will need to re-gear the truck. She had heat issues until we found the right gearing, also it seemed like the stock motor/ESC didn't last long after doing so.

Good luck! SCX-10s are awesome trucks!
Old 06-16-2014, 08:02 AM
gokemidoro

Agree with gforce on this one.....

Just build it (or drive, in the case of an RTR), and replace broken parts as necessary. The SCX10 is so easy to work on, you don't need anything at the time of initial purchase. A person can go broke, buying parts for the SCX10, willy-nilly, so the best course is to drive it until something breaks, replace it, then go drive again!
Old 06-16-2014, 05:44 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree the SCX10 don't need anything mandatory out of the box. I'll be honest I had only one issue with my honcho kit, and that was when I was building it one of the shock shafts I got wasn't threaded so I couldn't screw it into the bottom part. E-mailed Axial, and in 3 or 4 days I received a replacement for it.

Things you could do if you ever plan on getting it wet is modify a Traxxas radio box to fit in the location the stock one does. I also didn't like where they wanted the ESC mounted so I took a piece of plexiglass, and made a little shelf on the side to stick it too. Only other thing I did was purely cosmetic like putting a RPM lightbar on the roof, and rigging up a radio controlled switch to turn the LED's on and off.