Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

Broke down and got me a Jeep G6 SCX10......

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Broke down and got me a Jeep G6 SCX10......

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 04:42 PM
gokemidoro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broke down and got me a Jeep G6 SCX10......

Like the title says.......I was thinking of an RC4WD Trail Stomper, but my fave distributor ran out, so decided on the Jeep G6 instead.

The G6 will be used primarily for bashing while the batteries for my dedicated crawlers are charging, so I'm not looking for a ton of stuff for it, but primarily those parts or options that will increase it's performance for the least cost. The kit also comes with a Gearhead lift kit, free with the purchase, so there's that. I will be outfitting it with a Castle Sidewinder 3 wired to a 35T brushed motor and Castle 10 amp BEC, so no recommendations for power systems, please.

I'm primarily concerned with anything that will make it a better performer without emptying my wallet, whether store-bought or home-fab.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!
Old 06-30-2014, 03:16 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd recomend driving it..... Then are there any areas that u think it needs improving on for ur driving style look at parts specific to that.

i could recomend all the bits I've got on mine,but I bet ur needs and driving style are different to mine.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:45 PM
gokemidoro

Well, I'm interested in any bits that would improve it's performance (beyond the old tricks - weighting tires, more steering, etc.,...) that won't empty my wallet as fast as my dedicated crawlers do!
Old 06-30-2014, 06:04 PM
zackS30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Upgrade steering links and suspension links. That will help, the link will change ur angles for the drive shaft and cause a bind. I've got a honcho and I haven't had to do a lo to it. I put tsl super swamped xl on other on some axial 8holes(1.9 BTW) I put those on there to give better clearance I didn't really have to though. I just did it cause I like it.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:10 PM
gokemidoro

I haven't taken a close look at links....I will now, though! What does everyone think about Vanquish titanium links for this specific model, or any SCX10, for that matter? How about CVD's? Are those necessary, or is the stock steering throw sufficient? Does the SCX10 have a tendency to throw it's dogbones?

Last edited by gokemidoro; 06-30-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:26 PM
gokemidoro

The G6 arrived today.....bummer.....it doesn't have beadlocks.

Worse? I went ahead and got a few aluminum options for it, and forgot to order wheels. - - -

Oh, well. I'll just get them next month. I'll just make this a slow build.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:28 PM
Sunfirefoot
My Feedback: (30)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The G6 is awesome!! I got bored with the body so I turned mine into a Bronco Truggy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140630_222940.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	2011959  
Old 07-05-2014, 07:38 PM
gokemidoro

Looking good! Looks like you have a little work to do on the back end....
Old 07-06-2014, 08:34 PM
zackS30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My honcho hasn't thrown bones, I've put it through a lot and have had nothing break. My rear links bend and twist bcuz of the torque though.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:50 PM
gokemidoro

Originally Posted by zackS30
My honcho hasn't thrown bones, I've put it through a lot and have had nothing break. My rear links bend and twist bcuz of the torque though.

I've been remiss, because I haven't updated this thread yet. I got some CVD's, STRC aluminum C-hubs and knuckles, a Vanquish titanium link set, and Axial aluminum servo horn, so the front end, at least, will be relatively trouble-free. I'm finding this kit to have tons of potential, even if it's gone further than I originally wanted to spend, but the end result will be fairly bulletproof, I hope!
Old 07-12-2014, 03:32 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome, sounds like u have a plan..

my only suggestion is don't go too nuts on alloy parts as they are heavy.
no kidding there are a few fully decked out scx10 honcho's around weighing over 9lbs!!! That's twice as heavy as stock.
im my experience a lot of the alloy parts weight 3-4 times more than the stock plastic part, with the links been the heaviest.

for bashing 9lbs is fine, but when u start taking on competitions or comp style tracks it really makes a difference.

The absolute best 2 mods for a scx10 with real noticeable differences is...
Wheel weights. I'm running 60g on both front wheels on my honcho and the difference is massive. It can now take side angles that before would of been impossible to do without rolling over. Scale wise I don't think a 1/1 truck could match it.

DIG, this will allow the truck to make crazy tight turns, crazy down hill runs and a rear hand brake that can be used for high speed turns or to hold the vehicle still 1/2 way up a climb