Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Rc gods bestow some wisdom

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 03:30 AM
Lucianpoppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rc gods bestow some wisdom

I must say this forum thing is great. I was never big on them in the past but now i see the huge benefit in them . Now to the point. I have an electric fleet that im building . I have a 1/10th touring ( sakura XI sport belt driven) , HPI micro RS4 drift and to round it out a LOSI mini 8 T. I want a rock crawler now. I am not familiar with this sub genre of electric at all.
Here is what im looking for
!) for it to be able to follow me and my wife on hiking trails
2) the ability to upgrade
3) descent entry price
I dont mind honestly if it is a RTR, i prefer kits so i can learn but in this instance it is fine. With that being said let the debates begin !!!!
Old 05-16-2015, 08:04 PM
Mike Flea

Go to axialracing.com they have a decent selection of scalers and rock crawlers, and there are tons of upgrades you can get for them. The rtr's are great out of the box, and they have a few kits, in fact most of the rtr's also come as kits. I don't work for them, so I'm not throwing you a pitch, but it's what I have. All of my crawlers are Axial, I started out with an AX10 Ridgecrest, and when I got tired of it, I bought an SCX10 chassis, transferred the parts from the Ridgecrest TVP chassis, and built a Wroncho. Eventually bought another SCX10 chassis and some axles, along with some parts I had laying around from a couple SCT's, and built another SCX10. They're fun to work on, and plenty of options to create what you want.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:32 AM
RustedRC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep what he said.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:41 AM
RustedRC

crazy double post.

Last edited by RustedRC; 05-18-2015 at 02:53 PM. Reason: im an idiot.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:59 PM
Lucianpoppy

Originally Posted by Mike Flea
Go to axialracing.com they have a decent selection of scalers and rock crawlers, and there are tons of upgrades you can get for them. The rtr's are great out of the box, and they have a few kits, in fact most of the rtr's also come as kits. I don't work for them, so I'm not throwing you a pitch, but it's what I have. All of my crawlers are Axial, I started out with an AX10 Ridgecrest, and when I got tired of it, I bought an SCX10 chassis, transferred the parts from the Ridgecrest TVP chassis, and built a Wroncho. Eventually bought another SCX10 chassis and some axles, along with some parts I had laying around from a couple SCT's, and built another SCX10. They're fun to work on, and plenty of options to create what you want.
For now im just using it for trail riding/rock crawling ,for when my wife and i go hiking. What are your thoughts on the Axial AX10 deadbolt? Is the deadbolt part referring to the body that comes with the vehicle? How long does a lipo 2s or 3s battery normally last on a trail roughly with normal usage?
Thanks for your initial reply by the way. I'm glad that what i was considering seems to be rc standard for the genre of the hobby.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:50 PM
RustedRC

The AX10 is a good pick. it will work for what you want to do with it but it is more on the rock crawling side of the crawlers. like large rocks boulders and some rock wall/faces. something like a (SCX 10) dingo or honcho is more of the trail truck side of these crawlers. like hiking trails harder bike paths and such.
i think the dead bolt is the body. i think you can get a SCX 10 dead bolt.
As for the battery run time it is a little different for each one and even set up can change it. i'm geared a little lower than stock and i was out today and ran for at least 2 1/2 hours before i had to change the battery.
yea axial makes some pretty good RC's but they also have a bunch of after market support and up grades. that helps with the popularity.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:26 PM
Mike Flea

Rusted has the experience with the lipo's, I'm still running Nimh and brushed motors. The SCX10 is probably what you're looking for, and other than suspension and link options, all the SCX10's are basically the same chassis set-up. The Deadbolt is the name of the body that comes with it. If you've been to Axial's website, you'll see that there are actually 9 different ways to buy the SCX10, with 3 of them being kits. The Dingo kit is the least expensive, and has the most basic suspension set-up on it, and as with all kits, you'll have to supply the electronics/batteries. It also has the shortest wheelbase, however, by changing the location of the shock towers, you can lengthen the wheelbase if you decide to run with a longer aftermarket body.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:07 PM
Lucianpoppy

I think im going to pull the trigger on the SXC 10 like you suggest. Ill keep you posted on the progress with that Rusted RC.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:16 PM
Lucianpoppy

Yea Mike Flea i think im going to go the SCX10 route and go as basic as possible. Even though ill get a rtr over a kit , i think getting the basic model will help me understand why im getting the upgrades that i will eventually put on the car. But thanks also for your input.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:29 PM
RustedRC

No problem man. i don't mind helping if i can. you will be happy with the sxc10.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:54 PM
Mike Flea

Your welcome!, and always remember to have fun, especially if you like to build and tinker. Working on and running my toy trucks is a big stress relief for me.