Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Axial Wraith Spawn Kit

Old 03-15-2016, 08:00 AM
sharkattack99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axial Wraith Spawn Kit

Hello

This will be my first Crawler/basher been dealing with HPI Savage for the past 6 years now and was looking for something different. I have been looking at the axial wraiths for awhile now and like the realist look of the diffs and what not. this is the kit i was planning on getting.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...i90056/p446776

i wanted the kit version so i can become familar with the set up and to pick my own electronics.

I have a radio already, was going to go with a castle creations brushless system (not sure which yet suggestions would be nice) and want to run 3s lipos (cause thats what i have already) its gunna be more of a jumping/tear up the dirt and trails, and some crawling i don't need it to go 80mph lol. im sure most of these questions have been asked a thousand times and i apologize for it. After doing some research on this kit i see that it comes with a few upgraded parts already. But i would like to know what parts i should Upgrade at the start so i can order them with my kit itself? To handle the 3s brushless power. i can always upgrade the non essencil parts as they break or later just because, .

im probably leaving out some info that may help in my request please let me know if more info is needed...i have some time im still saving up and selling some of my flux parts to help with the cost, . thanks for any info all is appreciated.

Forgot mention Gearing. lol whats a good all around gearing? Thanks

Last edited by sharkattack99; 03-15-2016 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:56 AM
sharkattack99

Unless i Could put in my 2200kv motor and the ESC that i was using in my flux? but that its an 1/8th scale combo. so im thinking its to big save me some money though lol.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:36 PM
Mike Flea

Don't apologize for asking questions, the only way to find stuff out, is to ask questions. it's good to buy a kit, that way you see how parts fit together, and gives you a better understanding of how the car works. I can't give you any pointers on a brushless system as I run a 35t brushed motor. But, I can tell you that you'll want to run a sensored ESC and motor for better control at slow speeds without cogging. Hopefully, Rusted and Kid Evil will chime in here, they can give you better info on brushless set ups.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:33 PM
sharkattack99

Sweet thanks......ok i was looking at tekin but they seem a tad overpriced to me....but castle seems limited or just limited at a main hobbies anyway. Had good luck with castle stuff so that was why the preference.....and more resonable in price.

This will be my first rc of this type.....nitro is fun but will be nice to have something a little easier.....plus have something I can teach my son to drive around when he's older.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:19 AM
sharkattack99

And what is cogging?
Old 03-16-2016, 04:55 PM
Mike Flea

Originally Posted by sharkattack99
And what is cogging?
When you use a brushless motor that isn't sensored, and/or an ESC that isn't sensored the motor will chug or hesitate as you're trying to go slow. Brushless motors and unsensored ESC's are usually for go-fast rigs, but brushless motors are used for slow speed crawling/trailing, you just have to have the right combo to make it happen. And, if you plan on running in water or wet areas make sure your brushless motor is waterproof. Brushed motors can be run in water all day long.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:30 PM
sharkattack99

Thanks, yeah trying to find the right combo is getting discouraging...lol.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:28 AM
RustedRC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

brushless in a wraith. i don't really recommend going brushless in crawlers but like anything it can be done. a sensored system is a must and try to stay over a 3000kv motor around 10.5 to 13.5 motor turn. a mamba max pro ESC will handle 2s-6s lipo's. the thing is now that you want brushless you need to upgrade some parts like drive shafts first or you might only get a short run time from breakage. with greater speed comes greater repair bills. if your stock things like plastic knuckles may give way to a big jump as these are made for going slower. there is a few more things that you should do like gearing and if you change tire size then you will need to change gearing again to keep motor temps down so it don't burn out.
sorry i didn't post in earlier new job with crazy hours just getting adjusted to it. i'll look around for more info later on and see if there is some more options with motor and ESC combos that work with what you are going to do.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:24 AM
sharkattack99

thanks for the info, most appreciated, It has also been suggested i look into an axial Yeti, or a bomber. So i am also looking into those to rigs as well i do see that the yeti comes 1/8 scale kit. witch im thinking might be better for one i have the motor and esc for that scale already (good thing i haven't sold it yet lol), lol. big plus right there and was told it i was more of a basher type than a rock crawler. thoughts on this kit? light upgrades right off the bat that should be upgraded, have 2 3s packs so will be running it on 6s probably get a couple more though. so it appears 1/8th scale is were i was ment to stay, lol which is fine bashing is in the blood.
thats ok like i said im still researching it and getting all the info i can before i purchase a kit, congrats on the new job.

i do see that the aftermarket parts support for the yeti xl really isn't there vanquish only has like 4 things available and 2 are out of stock and one is a grease lol. lots for the 1/10 scale but again would have to buy a motor and esc. torn again, lol.

Last edited by sharkattack99; 03-17-2016 at 04:51 AM.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:36 PM
RustedRC

AsiaTes has upgrades for it. what kind of upgrades are you looking for?
the yeti/XL is more of a rock racer can go slow but doesn't really want to. if your into bashing then that should be more of what your looking for.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:33 PM
KID_EVIL!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't run brushless in my crawlers either. 55t in both. I do have castle stuff in my slash tt-01 and rustler but they are ment to go fast. My brother runs a castle esc with a 35t brushed. You just switch the esc to brushed. Rusted said stay over 3000kv. The sindwinder short course system is 3500kv i think. You can switch to crawler braking in the esc setup, and have drag brake, or choose none. But no I can't really help you out much more than that.

KID EVIL!
Old 03-18-2016, 03:50 PM
sharkattack99

Well thanks for the info.....I've been watching some crawler challange videos from rcsparks and think I have changed my mind and will get a brushed system for it instead looks like it could be fun...can brushed hold up to 3s lipos?
Old 03-18-2016, 04:13 PM
RustedRC

yes you can use a 3s lipo with a brushed setup. just get a good ESC. the tekin fxr i have can handle 3s and there is other brands that can do that and more.
one thing i have learned a hard lesson from is you get what you pay for. you can hurry up and get things from super crappy no name brands because there cheap and have them burn up in minutes to days or a few weeks or you can save some cash for something that is dependable with good support that will last longer. for example a lot of good motors are rebuildable so when the brushes wear down it will be easy on the wallet to get back out on the trails.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:33 PM
sharkattack99

Cool, yeah I'm still looking don't have the funds just yet so so I'm saving and I'll get a good set up not the most expensive but not the cheapest either.....this side of the hobby is still new to me I don't want to rush anything...lol not like my first nitro rc...it was an exceed tectonic and it was junk lol....
Old 03-18-2016, 06:09 PM
RustedRC

I never really liked nitro. to messy and when the fuel bottle went dry the fun was over. i would rather charge a few batteries and run for 3/4 hours. nitros have there place just not with me.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:28 PM
sharkattack99

Yeah that's why I'm putting my flux back together too lol....but I've been looking at these crawlers and they look interesting.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:24 PM
RustedRC

There great fun. crawling around a rock pile or trying to get through a mud hole, it kinda amazes me what these tiny trucks will do. as you get upgrades you can see the performance from one upgraded part all the way up to a few parts. even something like using a winch to get you out of a ruff spot is awesome to do and can open up a few more ways to challenge your self out on the trails.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:38 AM
sharkattack99

Well I jumped the gun, I have an axial wraith spawn kit scheduled to be delivered tomorrow, with a few upgrades. Decided on Holmes motor 27t torquemaster and there bxl waterproof esc. I'm excited lol. Calling it my Crimson Crawler project. ..lol

Last edited by sharkattack99; 03-22-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:45 PM
Mike Flea

Sounds like it'll be a good build, looking forward to it!
Old 03-22-2016, 05:16 PM
RustedRC

Welcome to your new addiction.(lol) post some pics out on the trails with it when you can.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:14 AM
sharkattack99

Originally Posted by RustedRC
Welcome to your new addiction.(lol) post some pics out on the trails with it when you can.
lol, addiction no kidding already looking at all the stuff i can get for it was look ooo oh look oooo and that and that....lol. i sure will wife got me a cheaper version of a go pro for christmas so will have some ride along video too.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:27 AM
sharkattack99

Originally Posted by Mike Flea
Sounds like it'll be a good build, looking forward to it!
sweet ill make sure and do a build thread
Old 05-06-2016, 05:43 AM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkattack99
sweet ill make sure and do a build thread
Did you do the build thread? How is the build going? How are the electronics? I have a Wraith but I went with a sensorless brushless motor because I don't care much about crawling, just going over rocks at slow speeds not a crawl. Its great. And you can spend a fortune on these things. My Yeti build ran me total of all receipts about $1200. The Wraith will be about the same.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:04 AM
sharkattack99

Originally Posted by mattster1971
Did you do the build thread? How is the build going? How are the electronics? I have a Wraith but I went with a sensorless brushless motor because I don't care much about crawling, just going over rocks at slow speeds not a crawl. Its great. And you can spend a fortune on these things. My Yeti build ran me total of all receipts about $1200. The Wraith will be about the same.
oh yeah i did do it, sorry i did it at rccrawler, im having motor heat issues with mine, at the moment so i have a little bigger spur coming so i will 12/60 and hope that solves the overheating issue. was getting temps way over 200 degrees F. few pics of it thought

yeah i know what you mean its got spendy i was like, damn that much already lol...amazing how 20 bucks there 100 bucks here adds up fast with rc.

I have vanquish titanium Links and steering, VP Lights, RC4WD RaceLine Raptor wheels wrapped them in Mud Slinger XL tires, i put on an 1/8th scale winch from warn connected and run from my 3 position switch on my radio, have HR all metal gears for the transmission, VP Front and real Axials, HR diff Covers, VP Stage 1 kit, HR center skid plate, VP VVD V1 HD 4mm Stub axle set, running a Holmes Hobbies Torquemaster BR-XL ESC waterproof, and a Torquemaster 27t brushed motor From HH,Savox SV 1270TG Digital servo. with titainum gears think thats everything, lol and using a spekrum DX4S radio.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:12 AM
sharkattack99

Even went all out and built a mudder as well out of a SCX10 honcho roller i got off ebay. its still a work in progress, thinking of going with 2 brushless motors, lol. been getting guff for it but oh well.

shocks have been giving me trouble on this one, there binding up on my and sticking and what not. getting frustrated with it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.