Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

Help me decide what to get! (Newb)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Help me decide what to get! (Newb)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 02:48 PM
wowmk1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me decide what to get! (Newb)

I am sure that i want a crawler. Now, i plan to use it in the backyard, which is nothing crazy, grass, pavement, dirt and small rocks. I also wanna use it at home. My budget is around $100 i know its very limited Now i considered several choices:

- Devastator 1/24 is $50 from China.
- Exceed Maxstone 1/10 used was $100
- Redcat Rockslide 1/10 is $163
- Redcat Everest 1/10 is $135
- Redcat Everest 1/16 is $99

Ok after some advice from members here now i am leaning towards the everest for a first crawler. My question is do i need a 1/10 for casual backyard/home driving or is the 1/16 good in size and a perfect fit for my budget.

Please let me know what you guys think, this is gonna be my first hobby grade rc.

Last edited by wowmk1; 06-21-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:49 PM
RustedRC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1/10 is the only size i have ran so i can't say if 1/16 is gonna work for you kinda small IMO but with 1/10 you have upgrades from other manufactures that will work.
i have the rockslide and it's a cool rc but being one of the few MOA crawlers with rear steer you will find that parts upgrades are times 2 because there is 2 axles with there own set of gears, motors and servos.
my vote goes towards the everest as a starter. one tranny one motor good size for handling tuff obstacles and some cross compatibility with other MF's
1/10 is a good size for back yard play. you'll be stacking rocks in no time after you get it.
it's not that 1/16 and smaller ones are not good just might be kinda small after you get into it and want more of a challenge.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:53 PM
Mike Flea

You've obviously done some research, my advice would be, buy what you think you can afford to get your foot in the door, just remember that some of your choices don't have that much in backup services. Electronics that go bad can be easily replaced with a similar popular substitute, but know that you'll be paying for that name-brand item. Some guys I know swear by the Exceeds that they have, but they are also very mechanically inclined, and can easily repair their problems. If your looking for easy swap in parts forget it.

Now if you save up a bit longer, you'd be better off purchasing an Axial, or a Vaterra Ascender. A bit more pricier, but they have excellent backup parts, and multiple vendors that support those trucks.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:09 PM
wowmk1

Went ahead and ordered the redcat everest 1/10, its gonna be here in 2 days.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:37 PM
RustedRC

cool have fun when the crawling bug bites hard post some pics of it on the trails.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:58 PM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wowmk1
Went ahead and ordered the redcat everest 1/10, its gonna be here in 2 days.
You will be fine. Regardless of what you get you will get a kick out of it. All trucks can break just make sure you drive it within its limits.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:10 AM
TheBennyB

Yup, whether is a $100 or $500 rig things are going to break. Still half the fun is wrenching on these things for me at least. Crawlers are such an instant gratitude hobby, don't need much room and you usually get a long run time off one charged battery. Just remember if you have limited crawling terrain use what you have and start to time yourself. Adding a time limit always makes things interesting. Good luck and have fun. Let us know how it turns out after your first run.