Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

New to RC - looking to buy/build a crawler.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

New to RC - looking to buy/build a crawler.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 08:59 PM
briandye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to RC - looking to buy/build a crawler.

I've had a few RC cars, first was a Traxxas E-Max, loved it, but lost it in a move. Then took a T-Max in on a trade, it was fun but my neighbors hated it, plus the thing was way too fast for my area, so it got old kind of quick zooming back and fourth. It needed quite a bit of work, 4x4 didn't work, needed the steering fixed, battery, all that stuff. Traded it for a brand new 2WD Slash. It's fun, but it's only capable on dry hard land.

I found some random videos on YouTube of this Canadian guy (I can't remember his name) but he has a ton of crawlers and all kinds of cool rigs from semis, to plows, to keeps and such.

I have all kinds of terrain around me like mud, dirt, streams, rocks etc and would love to get into crawling.

Seems like Axial is a pretty popular one, but these things are so intriquate, I don't even know where to start. Do I buy one, see what it's capable of and then upgrade whatever breaks?

What are some good starter rigs that can be upgraded? I have a small budget so I can't just buy rig after rig to try out and mod the hell out of it.

Thanks guys for any tips!
Old 10-10-2016, 01:49 AM
RustedRC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi briandye.
axial scx10 is a good one to get.
the scx10 2 is a great one to get.
an ascender would be a good choice.
a G made sawback or a trail finder 2
all of them have good support and upgrades if you want them with the scx10 having the most support when it comes to upgrades (IMO).
any one of these are good right out of the box. some like the newer ones like the ascender or scx10 2 will have better stock parts like metal suspension links. even the sxc10 is great and if you like to get your hands dirty and get crafty you can make your own links for it.
pick any of the good name brands and you won't be let down. as you run your truck more you will want to get an upgrade of two, so going with a good one you will have a large amount of parts to choose from.
in which ever you choose get it run it then upgrade when something breaks.
the guy you are speaking of. i have seen his videos and i think all his stuff is upgraded and modded.
if you want to just get one and go. the scx10 2 would be my choice for that.
when you get one post up some pics of it out on the trails or in the mud and have fun while doing it.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:51 PM
Mike Flea

Hello briandye, everything Rusted mentioned is right on, and really the only choice, other than brand or model, is whether you want to go RTR or kit.

RTR, pull it out of the box, charge the batteries and go. Fix parts as they break or wear out, and /or upgrade those parts so they last longer.

Kit, now that's the way I would go. 1) you learn how to put it together, so when something does break, you don't have to tear down the whole truck, just what breaks.
2) most kits come with the upgraded aluminum parts that the RTR's don't come with, saving you $ in the long run.
3) yes, you do have to purchase or supply your own electronics, but you then have the choice of what you want to put in your truck, not what cheap crap the brand
wants to put in.
4) you get to paint your truck body the color you want, or add graphics.

Now the rest is up to you, most of all, have fun, and don't forget to show us your build.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:16 PM
blochd

Hi Brian, Im new to rc cars as well and have beeb modifying a feiyue eagle I got off amazon. Comes with different gears to experiment with. I've put oil filled shocks on it so far and a larger battery. Eventually when Im better at this I'll upgrade but for me less money to get started makes more sense and I like to tinker. Check amazon, the bay and mojave misfits rc. Good luck.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:55 AM
Dozermax

Im new to crawling i have the axial scx10 honcho it does great
Old 11-06-2016, 05:16 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't go wrong with an axial. Have you picked anything up yet? Also, let us know where you are in the world. You may be near someone that could show you some rigs in person and let you drive them before purchasing.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:59 PM
Johannes1863

Good luck, just getting into it myself.

Last edited by Johannes1863; 11-20-2016 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-25-2016, 05:57 PM
[email protected]

I picked up an Everest 10, and love the thing. Have a few mods in mind. From what I read, aluminum steering and drive parts will benefit you the best.