Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

Drop in replacement for RC4WD R2 tranny?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Drop in replacement for RC4WD R2 tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 02:54 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drop in replacement for RC4WD R2 tranny?

Anyone know of one? I have the old worminator and hate running it due to the noise of the R2. I've taken it apart to see if something was up to cause this noise but I couldn't see anything. Any thoughts?
Old 05-17-2017, 06:28 PM
RustedRC

Hey Benny whats up.
I know you most likely tried greasing it up good. so maybe if you have 32 pitch gears try 48 pitch or some helical cut gears.if they are made.the r2 looks to be kinda small maybe if you could mod an axial tranny to fit. i don't know of a direct drop in to suggest but i have read that a larger pinion and smaller spur have helped some with the loudness of the r2. oh and just putting it out there about the gear mesh being set right.
i looked around and saw some say the one side of the gears wear faster than the other so check your bearings and see if you can flip the gears around.

Last edited by RustedRC; 05-17-2017 at 06:47 PM. Reason: IDK
Old 05-18-2017, 09:42 AM
TheBennyB

Hey Rusted. All good here how bout you? Yea, I've lubed and checked all gears and bearings. I ordered a bigger pinion and will see if that helps, it is too slow anyways. Unfortunately I don't have much room to spare on a gearbox. I've converted this to look like a '43 Kenworth wrecker so no room above the rails for a motor/geabox. I could go lower and side mount it so I may look around at some other options such as Axial.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-01-26 012.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	2215934  
Old 05-18-2017, 09:53 AM
TheBennyB

If the larger pinion doesn't help may try one of these though I've been reading they are kinda loud as well.

Hot-Racing SCP38X01 Low CG Transmission Gear Box AX10 SCX10 (HRASCP38X01) | eBay

Hot Racing Axial AX10 Scorpion SCX10 Aluminum Gearbox Transmission SCP38X01 | eBay
Old 05-18-2017, 11:06 AM
RustedRC

I'm good thanks.
both look good. the second looks to be extended maybe for a two speed.
i read up a little with the loudness your having and a lot points to the gear pitch.
that truck is looking awesome. like a military tow rig. i'm liking it.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:14 PM
TheBennyB

yea, thinking the same on the pitch issue. All the RC4WD stuff is 32P, pretty big spacing. May have to suck it up and go 48P with the other gearboxes. The second gearbox has the extension for an optional DIG unit, I may use it as an additional connection point to the chassis.

Last edited by TheBennyB; 05-18-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:48 PM
RustedRC

if it does help with noise post up what you discover so we all can know.
Dig's are cool but can be a pain. i got one on my creeper and still can't get it to free spin. go and lock work but no free spin.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:18 AM
dyoakum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reply

the worminator will eat that transmission to pieces. There is a reason that they are out of replacement gears. The gears are too small to handle any power. I have the same worminator. It eats that trans in a few batteries. The trans is junk. Ive been told a all metal ax10 trans is the way to go.