Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tamiya TLT-1 into crawler

how do u make a TLT-1 into a crawler? how much would it cost? has any one done it? love to see pics
    thank for the help
    dont let it get dusty on a sheve let it get dusty on the road

RE: Tamiya TLT-1 into crawler

I don't thank it has been before and I thank that if you were going to do it you would have to do it mostly from scratch. You would have to make it wider and have more ground clearance and you still would have to make it more powerful.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It can easly be done here is a link to the best one i've seen.

http://www.gerrish.net/tlt1.htm

He even made it into a 6x6. ALso check out his vids of it in action.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The TLT-1 is just a smaller version of the TXT-1 and the TLT-1 looks like a good crawler out of the box. Check out the following link and you will see what I mean.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=47201
    Traxxas Rustler
    Mad bull
    XXX-S RTR
    XXX kinwald 1
    Super Clod Buster

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

TLT's are excellent for crawling. Other than chassis clearance, they crawl well right out of the box.
    Costs depend on how crazy you want to go.

Here's a TLT crawler I reciently sold.
    TLT-1 axles
    Stampede tranny
    Geolander tires on Stampede wheels
    custom Plexiglass chassis
    Jugg yokes
    Jeep body

You can find a small video here.
    Comentary by my son. [X(]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qn38353.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	132345   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kf14463.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	132346   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gm22043.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	132347  

AMA # 783502

Visit my site at: www.jbeach.rchomepage.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

where can i get a body like the jeep.

flip
    They call me \"Flip\"

Futaba 9 cap
    omp 80\" edge ARF moki 180
    fun air 40 thunder tiger 42
    sledge 540 saito 72
    Jeff Williams E-Sledge Hi-Maxx 2015 4100

I\'m a FANFOLD cutting fool!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i think im going to get one of these andmake my own 2.2 crawler...what i was thinking was use a stampede gear box and turn it sideways, drive the 2 axles, make my own chassis, but what bodies can i get in 1/18th scale? theres not really a market for them. please offer some suggestions
    Im looking for an E-stampede roller(dont need body or electronics) Shoot me a PM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i have one for sale.
    check out it on the off icial rock crawling page.
    page 27.

flip
    They call me \"Flip\"

Futaba 9 cap
    omp 80\" edge ARF moki 180
    fun air 40 thunder tiger 42
    sledge 540 saito 72
    Jeff Williams E-Sledge Hi-Maxx 2015 4100

I\'m a FANFOLD cutting fool!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Check my half finished TLT-1 I'm making it bigger

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

does anyone know any way i can lift it higher off the ground because its not crawloin too well with like a half an inch of ground clearance

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yes use t-maxx turnbuckles and kyosho dogbones and t4 turnbuckles and t4 shocks to extend and left

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It can definately be done. I've had my TLT-1 for about a week now and am well on my way to turning it into a serious rockcrawler.

Here is what I've done so far:

Stretched the wheelbase out 1.5" and raised the truck .75"
    Total cost $13.50
    Parts needed (traxxas 82mm turnbucles #2337 (4 sets) and one set of HPI 6x57mm Super Nitro RS4 dogbones).

Cut 4 turnbuckles down to 71mm and leave the other 4 the stock length. Replace the inner turnbuckles with the 71mm Traxxas turnbucles and the 82mm ones replace the lower turnbuckles.

Then take the HPI dogbones and dremmel one end of them down (just the ball end). You will need to remove approximately .5mm of surface from the ball end (leave the dowls alone). The undremmeled end goes in the center differential drive cup and the dremmeled end goes in the axle drive cup.

Replace the 25mm pushrods for the suspension with the inner 47mm rods that you just replaced.

You will need to lock out all 3 differentials. Use JB weld to lock them out. This is permenant though, but they will be super solid.

Other parts I've added:

Integy 55 turn lathe motor ($19.00). This motor is super high torque and gives excellent run times. For crawling it's the motor of choice in the TLT-1. I get 25+ minutes out of my Tamiya 1700 mAh pack. With a GP3300 saddle pack you should get 40+ minutes of run time out of it.

22 tooth metric 48 pitch pinion. With this pinion and the Integy motor I get a top speed of around 8 mph, but can climb anything.

HPI 5 spoke RS4 MT wheels ($24.00). Make sure you get two sets of the ones for the RS4 MT as they have more offset than stock wheels which will widen the wheelbase approximately .5".

IMEX G-Hawg tires ($36.00 for a set of 4). These tires are 4.75" tall and 2" wide. They add another .75" to the height of the truck (with the lift kit mentioned above I have 2.25" of center clearance at the bottom of the chassis). The provide excellent grip and have no clearance issues when turning (due to narrow width).

Remove the servo saver and replace it with a solid mount. The servo saver does nothing but hinder your crawling ability and when your top speed is 8 mph you really don't need it if you are using a good metal gear servo.

Replace the bushings with bearings.

That's all that I've done to mine so far, but I am working on a new mounting platform for my ESC and receiver so fitting a saddle pack into the chassis won't be a problem. I also have other ideas for the transmission, maybe lengthening the wheelbase a little more and going with a carbon fiber chassis.

I've included some pics of what mine looks like now.

Name:	Us54730.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	141170   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bw73086.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	141171   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xc80138.jpg 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	141172  
    RC18B FT - Mamba 5400, Integy steering brace, CVD\'s front and rear, GP1100 batteries, RC18MT parts car...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

THIS IS MY TLT-1 COME CHECK IT OUT[img][/img]

Name:	Jg14201.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	144883   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	To43279.jpg 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	144884  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

wut upgrades have you done to yours zaxon

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Wookie

It can definately be done. I've had my TLT-1 for about a week now and am well on my way to turning it into a serious rockcrawler.

Here is what I've done so far:

Stretched the wheelbase out 1.5" and raised the truck .75"
    Total cost $13.50
    Parts needed (traxxas 82mm turnbucles #2337 (4 sets) and one set of HPI 6x57mm Super Nitro RS4 dogbones).

Cut 4 turnbuckles down to 71mm and leave the other 4 the stock length. Replace the inner turnbuckles with the 71mm Traxxas turnbucles and the 82mm ones replace the lower turnbuckles.

Then take the HPI dogbones and dremmel one end of them down (just the ball end). You will need to remove approximately .5mm of surface from the ball end (leave the dowls alone). The undremmeled end goes in the center differential drive cup and the dremmeled end goes in the axle drive cup.

Replace the 25mm pushrods for the suspension with the inner 47mm rods that you just replaced.

You will need to lock out all 3 differentials. Use JB weld to lock them out. This is permenant though, but they will be super solid.

Other parts I've added:

Integy 55 turn lathe motor ($19.00). This motor is super high torque and gives excellent run times. For crawling it's the motor of choice in the TLT-1. I get 25+ minutes out of my Tamiya 1700 mAh pack. With a GP3300 saddle pack you should get 40+ minutes of run time out of it.

22 tooth metric 48 pitch pinion. With this pinion and the Integy motor I get a top speed of around 8 mph, but can climb anything.

HPI 5 spoke RS4 MT wheels ($24.00). Make sure you get two sets of the ones for the RS4 MT as they have more offset than stock wheels which will widen the wheelbase approximately .5".

IMEX G-Hawg tires ($36.00 for a set of 4). These tires are 4.75" tall and 2" wide. They add another .75" to the height of the truck (with the lift kit mentioned above I have 2.25" of center clearance at the bottom of the chassis). The provide excellent grip and have no clearance issues when turning (due to narrow width).

Remove the servo saver and replace it with a solid mount. The servo saver does nothing but hinder your crawling ability and when your top speed is 8 mph you really don't need it if you are using a good metal gear servo.

Replace the bushings with bearings.

That's all that I've done to mine so far, but I am working on a new mounting platform for my ESC and receiver so fitting a saddle pack into the chassis won't be a problem. I also have other ideas for the transmission, maybe lengthening the wheelbase a little more and going with a carbon fiber chassis.

I've included some pics of what mine looks like now.
    ORIGINAL: Wookie

That's a pretty easy and cheap stretch to do.

You need:

(4) Traxxas 82mm turnbuckles (Part #2337 I believe)
    (1) HPI Super Nitro 57mm dogbones (Part #A553 I belive)

Step 1. Cut 2 sets of turnbuckles down to 68mm and the other two down to 79mm.

Step 2. Dremel one end of each HPI dogbone down so that it fits in the drive cup on the axle.

Step 3. Place the shorter links on the inside and the longer links on the bottom.

Step 4. Take the 47mm links (from the inside of the stock links kit) and replace the stock 25mm pushrods with the 47mm links.

That's it. Should give you about 1.5" of stretch and about .5 to .75" of extra center clearance.

i think this is where the problem lyies[:@] so is it the shorter one?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wookie,
    Will those Stamped wheels and tires fit on a stock TLT or do you need the extra lift too. I want to do one upgade at a time.
    Thanks
    jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I did turn my TLT-1 into a serious 2.2 rock crawler and I named it .... Silver RockDragon. [>:]
    .... 13" wheelbase .... over 3" of ground clearance .... almost 90 degrees of articulation ....

http://img135.exs.cx/img135/9260/sil...gon10008wu.jpg
    http://img123.exs.cx/img123/7325/sil...agon0031wi.jpg
    http://img123.exs.cx/img123/4043/sil...agon0046ri.jpg
    http://img210.exs.cx/img210/4060/sil...agon0029rx.jpg

Most of my knowledge to turn it into a serious 2.2 crawler is from here ... http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20

.. DRAGON ........ROCKS ..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There's an article in the magazine section of this site (How To's) that talks about how to build a TLT with a lot more articulation and clearance with mostly stock parts.

Here's the link:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=482