Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Official TLT-1 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 12:51 PM
dezfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official TLT-1 Thread

I don't like to use a servo that doesn't have at the minimum 133 oz's.

That one might get you by, by anaemic preference might be in order.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:30 PM
M03 Mini

I have 70 dollars to spend on my TLT it's completely stock, what would be the best things to get to make it a better crawler?
Old 01-04-2007, 04:58 PM
dezfan

Tires and wheels would be the first thing I would buy.

2.2 Moabs or Mashers w/ some 2.2 wheels of your choice (make sure they have a 12mm hex).

You can lock the diffs for free by flipping one of the 3 plantary gears in the diff.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:20 PM
5150bronco

WHAT ARE the best gears to buy and amount of teeth for TLT??? thanks
Old 01-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Rc EnthuSiasTs

are you going to make it a crawler, or just drive it around stock.
Do you know what pitch the stock gear is. for crawling you will want a bigger spur gear.
I really need more info on what you will be doing to answer you thoroughly!
Old 01-06-2007, 08:48 PM
subyman
My Feedback: (2)

Hey guys, just ordered a TLT-1 Rock Buster from Ultimate Hobbies for only 69 bucks! I also bought a few other misc items on there for my other rcs to get over 100 bucks so I get free shipping. Helluva deal.

Anyway, I am new to rock crawling and I want to build up a tlt for kind of cheap. I can do a lot of metal work (I have background with MIG welders and brazing plus I own the equipment.) I have a Tmaxx 3.3 so I am not looking for this to be a basher at all. I want a slow crawler to work the creek beds in the forestery behind my house. I am going to break this down into a few sections of questions for ease of reading... So here we go.

Chassis: I would like to lengthen the links out to fit 2.2" tires, is there a guide that shows how to do this?

Engine: I notice most people use the Integy 55T Lathe motor, but it is out of stock at Tower. Can someone give me a comparable motor that is in stock?

Servos: What are a good set of servos that don't break the bank? I don't want to spend a ton on these, the cheaper the better.

Radio: Can I use my stock TQ3 transmitter from my Tmaxx to run this thing? If so, what reciever, etc will I need to make that work out?

Wheels and Tires: 2.2" tires are what I want to run on the truck. What is a good tire to get for these for rock crawling? Also, any 1/10 scale 12mm hex wheel will work?

Remember I want to keep this build up cheap cheap cheap and add to it later after I get some use out of it. Thanks a lot for the advice in advance.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:41 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

Welcome to rc crawling... to answer a few of your questions:

Chassis: if you use the stock chassis there are a few things you can do to get it up to speed (I'll get back to you in a longer post on this), but in the long run you will want a true cralwer chassis such as the reign K2-3x, SW2, or a comp chassis.

Engine: The Motor most people use is and Integy 45T, 55T, or 65T.... The motor choice really depends on how and where you plan to drive. The trail trucks need a little more wheel speed and do good with a 45T, while comp crawlers opt for more of a balance of speed and torque with the 55T. The 65T is mostly used by comp guys and those who just want all torque (not really the best IMO). You can also use the pinion/spur combo to get a good balance as well.

Servos: For steering you will want a good metal gear hi-torque unit such as the HiTec 645MG or the Tower-Pro MG995 (search ebay SUPER low $$). You will want one with enough torque to turn the wheels on the rocks.... 133oz or more. Also with a good servo you can run with out a servo saver so no power is lost in turning.

Radio: The TQ3 is great and will work well, but keep in mind you will need a good ESC, the Moped is very popular because of quality and price, but the best is porbably the super rooster.

Wheels and Tires: 2.2 tire are what you want for a TLT 1/10 scale crawler (11.5" WB). Any 12mm hex wheel or rear 1/10 st wheel with a pin-slot type drive (3/16 hole) will work. For tires there are quite a few chioces and these also will depend on if you are planning to go for a scale look or not. A few good ones: Moab's, Ground Hawg's, Masher 2k's, and HPI Geolanders --- They are all popular in crawling.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:55 PM
subyman

Thanks a lot for that write up. It helped me out a lot and consolidated a ton of information. It gets tiresome trying to click through a lot of threads and pages trying to find what servo or engine most use.

Are there any plans out there for a home made chassis? I wouldn't mind making my own. I've looked at some of those chassis for sale and they are quite a bit of money for what I am wanting to do. Also, what size bodies do most people use on these things? When I stretch it to 1/10 do the standard 1/10 bodies look fine? There are a ton of option for bodies at the 1/10 scale, so that would be nice.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:02 AM
subyman

I see there is the Moped Super and Pro versions for the 1/10 scale. Which one would be the best for this do you think? Also the Hitec is a little pricey for me, I think the tower pro will do fine
Old 01-07-2007, 12:14 AM
Acs_guitars

There are no "plans" out there, but you don't need them... Look at all the chassis avaliable and do something similar to get the link mounts and such in the right places. There are a million ways that will work and this type of suspension is VERY easy to set up. If you need any more direction I may be able to help, but just remember that it is not rocket science and to keep your design simple.

I am currently building a scale (ish) crawler / Trail rig. I am actually going kind of backwards on the way I am doing things. I started with a 1/8 scale Savage/T-maxx F150 ext cab body with a 13.5" WB and went from there. Since I am building a chassis as well, I started by mounting links first to give the length of the bottom plate/skid of my chassis and then building the sideplates from there. This is a very backwards way, but I am using parts that I have laying around (body,links, and TLT) and holding to the WB I need for the body to look right. I hope to be mostly finished this next week and maybe post pics if I have time.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:26 AM
subyman

Okay, the designs do look pretty straight forward. If I was to make one it would be a tubular frame design (I love the way they look.) I think I may get the Moped ESC after doing a little research on them. They even handle 4ws fine. I've heard it takes quite awhile for them to shipped from China though, so my build up may take awhile.

I'm thinking I will go with the F-350 body Venom Racing makes in 1/10 scale. Can't wait to get my kit in so I can start tinkering haha.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Acs_guitars

You can start out with a tuber, but just remember to make plenty of extra points for suspension link and shock adjustment. On a TVP style chassis extra adjustments are just a matter of dilling a few holes, but on a tuber it can mean a tear down and more fabrication. It is hard to get it perfect the first time so most do start out with a TVP to get things set up, and then use that setup in building the tuber.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:27 PM
subyman

Well, I started collecting some more parts. I ordered 4 tmaxx shocks with spacers off ebay. I bought 2 of the Tower Pro MG995 for only 36 bucks with express shipping.

Here is what I need to get from my LHS:
Traxxas Rod Ends with Connectors
HPI Geolandars
Traxxas 105mm Turnbuckles (may just make my own)
Stampede Wheels Dyeable (going to narrow them and try to make homemade beadlocks)
Sheet of either aluminum or hard plastic

Stuff from internet I still need to get:
Integy Lathe 55T (sold out everywhere!)
Associated AL Quantum Runner with Reverse (only 37 at tower with a warranty unlike the Moped)

I will most likely modify my stock chassis for the time being and try out a few different setups. Then I will make a dedicated TVP design and hopefully get it all dialed in. Then the tuber will be coming. I really like the stick design too, but Im getting too far ahead of my self.

Now if only I could find a stampede tranny for cheap...
Old 01-08-2007, 05:16 PM
hands without shadows

Good luck finding a stampede tranny for cheap I think stealth trannies fit, and there smaller too.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:53 PM
dezfan

The Pede is a turd!

Get a Stealth B4/T4 tranny for it!
Old 01-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Acs_guitars

The stealth is very compact and near bullet proof, 1000x's better than a pede trans IMO ...... But it is not any cheaper than the stampede trans.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:22 PM
dezfan

If you get lucky on the bay, they are![>:]
Old 01-15-2007, 01:54 PM
Rampage.Pete

hi...just ordered in a tlt max climber... im too old to read all the posts to find the nfo im looking for =) a few questions for you guys... is the truck really slow? im not going to do much crawling would be backyard bashing mostly.... i do got a tamiya sport tuned motor for it would that be ok? fast enough for fun? =) also whats the most important upgrades? bearing set i guess? not sure if it comes with them or not...while im waiting for the truck i could probably make a battery pack for it anyone got a pic of it how it should look like? i guess thats all (for now) =) all the best for 2007
Old 01-15-2007, 01:55 PM
Rampage.Pete

correcting myself ..its a rock crawler (battery problem version) =)
Old 01-19-2007, 11:16 PM
mOnO n.s.G^

Old 04-04-2007, 08:07 PM
stoopidhed

I got a TLT , mod a little bit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60341.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	657158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19411.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	657159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx60906.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	657160  
Old 04-14-2007, 11:41 PM
aircruiser

ORIGINAL: eTe

hi...just ordered in a tlt max climber... im too old to read all the posts to find the nfo im looking for =) a few questions for you guys... is the truck really slow? im not going to do much crawling would be backyard bashing mostly.... i do got a tamiya sport tuned motor for it would that be ok? fast enough for fun? =) also whats the most important upgrades? bearing set i guess? not sure if it comes with them or not...while im waiting for the truck i could probably make a battery pack for it anyone got a pic of it how it should look like? i guess thats all (for now) =) all the best for 2007

I dunno if you have already done it all but I just got one and finished it today and ran it. The truck can or cant be slow. I have a 55 turn motor in mine and it does around between 2 and 5m.p.h. top. Upgrades are definitly locking the center diff and getting the front and rear diffs to act like limited slips or locking them. Bearings are good but I was anxious to build mine and just used bushings and plastic bearings and it runs great.